• Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By harrisson_citroen
  • 1 Post By seasink

Thread: Stupid question #86 C5X7

Thank God for my Hydroen harrisson_citroen's Avatar

Default Stupid question #86 C5X7

Is the radio receiver for the remore controller always on, in order to receive an eventual incoming "unlock" command in a C5 - or any car -?
    And is it part of the reason why I get the "energy saving" message when I get in the car and it hasn't been used for a couple of weeks.

Fact: Brand new battery installed, car goes for a long (2hrs) motorway trip and return every two to three weeks.
    Unused locally for the remainder. But always seems to go into "energy saving mode" everytime.
    Time to put the key into ignitionm turn on, 10 seconds later everything goes black again. How canthe
    battery be low in energy, or is there a current leak somewhere?

Advertisement
    turnbull151 likes this.
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

1000+ Posts

As long as the main battery is fitted, the computer system is on, and "listening" for inputs.

A long period without use will discharge the battery enough for economy saving mode to be commenced. Economy mode also commences when various auxiliaries are used for 30 minutes with the engine stopped.
    Last edited by seasink; 13th April 2019 at 06:22 PM.
    antonio likes this.

The software has more to do with that than battery voltage the tyre pressure monitoring also maps the pressure while the car is asleep there is a bunch of things that wake up and turn off depending on the bsiís internal clock the listening your speaking of doesnít really work like that itís more of a reaction I guess you could term it like a solar panel and light

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
    Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
    Fix it right the first time

The new type of economic mode (the type with battery draw monitoring) is a lot more active in its operation you need to build up credit to use the battery unlike the good old days when you could start it up and get another 20-30 minutes

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
    Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring

Okay, so really, there is no way around it, is there.?
    I guess you need to use the car almost everyday in order to avoid that, but every two weeks is no good.
    Any known way to get around it ? Because it gets quite annoying, and at times you wonder if the car will start!

Default Stupid question #86 C5X7

Itís stopping that as much as possible from happening just because itís in economy mode doesnít mean there is a problem with the battery charge Iíve had people in the past hot wire radios etc into 307s etc it didnít end well most new cars run this sort of system it just runs in the background vf crumbledoors had all sorts of weird things going on before they figured out that it was programming to reduce load from memory they had a tsb to the effect of tell the customers itís all normal

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    Economy mode also commences when various auxiliaries are used for 30 minutes with the engine stopped.
    Yeah, like the radio. If you pull up and listen to the footbrawl, with the windows down, you have to start the car just to make the radio work again, let along be able to raise the windows.

If you RTFM, it says that you will only be out of economy mode for as long as the engine runs for, but I have found that not to be true.

Whilst here, DMC, can you please get a keyboard with commas on it. I'll buy it for you, FFS. Some of what you write, as helpful and insightful as it is, is just indecipherable.

1000+ Posts

I used "listen" to try an find a simple explanation. In reality we have digital controllers linked by a bus communicating via a fairly complex protocol.

Despite the secrecy of manufacturers progress is being made in "hacking" these systems. Some US makes are now well described with simulation software and hardware obtainable.

Quote Originally Posted by Dijon16 View Post
    Yeah, like the radio. If you pull up and listen to the footbrawl, with the windows down, you have to start the car just to make the radio work again, let along be able to raise the windows.

If you RTFM, it says that you will only be out of economy mode for as long as the engine runs for, but I have found that not to be true.

Whilst here, DMC, can you please get a keyboard with commas on it. I'll buy it for you, FFS. Some of what you write, as helpful and insightful as it is, is just indecipherable.
    Well I apologise if my replys are hard to read but as described before due to a neck injury (while working on peugeot and Citroen cars) I canít type on a keyboard without pain so I use speech to text and it doesnít always put commas in actually I donít apologise I havenít been able to work for over a year so do us both a favour and donít bother reading my replies

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE

[QUOTE/due to a neck injury (while working on peugeot and Citroen cars) I can’t type on a keyboard without pain so I use speech to text /QUOTE]

I wasn't aware of that David. Best wishes and thank you for helping us nevertheless despite your health issues.
    Your in depth knowledge of the C5 and others is very much appreciated.
    Last edited by harrisson_citroen; 14th April 2019 at 04:05 PM.

David we didn’t all read where you had described this before; I find it not just worth - Really Worth - working out what you have shared but kind of fun. It explains the brevity, anyway
    grandC4picasso RHB, [email protected] , EGS6Sp, B58, MY 2012-2013 (?)

Fellow Frogger!

There are energy monitors available that will measure battery discharge current & battery voltage over time. They have been developed for electric cars & bikes etc among other things, it should be easy enough to put one on your car & see what is going on. Even an ordinary multi meter will tell you how much current is flowing when the car is turned off. Years ago I had a problem with the battery going flat repeatedly if left standing for a while, took some hunting to find the problem. The switch in the boot that turns the boot light on & off had failed so the boot light stayed on with the boot shut so you could not see it!

Check for things like that first, then if you do organise a monitor, after checking your car, give it to someone else with a similar car & see if it loses the same charge as yours, i.e. is it designed in or a fault. Jaycar electronics have such a meter in their catalogue, page 386 or look up their unit using their number MS-6195. Hope this helps.

Regards

agd123

But the battery isnít going flat

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE

I have found on my 2008 C5 X7 that the economy mode seems a bit random and with short engine starts comes into effect very quickly. I have found that I can reset it by disconnecting the battery for a while then reconnecting it.

Cheers, Ken

Thread Information