• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: A Rare DS - Opportunity Knocks

Default A Rare DS - Opportunity Knocks

Dear Froggers,

Advertisement

I've listed my '68 DS 21 Pallas BVH on eBay. It's a good car, and ready to rumble.

Thanks,

Tim
    gsowner84 likes this.
    Current Garage:

'07 C5 Wagon
    '57 DS19
    '51 11BL
    '55 Big 15
    '56 Bentley S1

Fellow Frogger!

All I can find is hundreds of models (toys).
    Woody
    Middlemoon.1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by brian woodcock View Post
    Woody
    It is there, "MYDS 21" (Tim's) is looking and no doubt it is god.

(Use the "filter" to access real cars.)

John
    Middlemoon.1 likes this.

How can you sell it? It’s the bees knees!
    Middlemoon.1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by forumnoreason View Post
    How can you sell it? It’s the bees knees!

Agreed, if only my interest in the classic Citroen just started!
    Middlemoon.1 likes this.

Just one of those things. I'm praying, praying it gets an anorak.
    Current Garage:

'07 C5 Wagon
    '57 DS19
    '51 11BL
    '55 Big 15
    '56 Bentley S1

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by brian woodcock View Post
    Woody
    Use "Semi-automatique" in your search term and you will probably find it.
    1968 DS21bvh Pallas in Gris Palladium

Restoration blog: https://ds-restoration.blogspot.co.uk

UFO

Tim,

How about you put the link to your ad in your post? It makes it that much easier for a potential buyer to find the ad being referred to...
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

UFO likes this.
    Current Garage:

'07 C5 Wagon
    '57 DS19
    '51 11BL
    '55 Big 15
    '56 Bentley S1

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Don't do it!!!!!! You will never find another like it
    Middlemoon.1 likes this.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Fellow Frogger!

If you're hankering to get back into the 60's Tim, you are welcome to purchase the French '63 Safari that you sold me some years ago.
    With the purchase of Peter Boyle's B2 Citroens, I can see that I'll never get round to putting the Safari on the road.
    Good luck with the sale of the DS.
    Michael
    Middlemoon.1 likes this.

Hello,

you are all kind with your concerns about this sale - I've had some very considerate messages - more to the point my wellbeing with regards to it (!) - and I'm grateful for this. I don't have a good track record for selling cars that I should not, as you know. The sale of my ID has haunted me for years though I do hope the car brought pleasure to others. Despite putting several feelers out but have not been able to find it. You are right Michael that I hanker to get closer to the source - namely the three bearing motor. I have a long term project of a '64 DS and continue to gather what I need to complete that (I think I missed securing the original engine in recent years) but this car is basically like building a car from scratch and it is a retirement project....and I don't intend retiring for a while. Due to a serendipitous rendezvous with a CCOCA member I have been able to acquire a '57 DS in a state that is very able to be completed, and the knowledge of it's history, delivery and skills required to bring to an 'as delivered' condition is all apparent. Messers Paas will know the car. So I've committed to that. This car should bring together what has been a lifetime's appreciation and use of the D as a modern classic.

Shane you are the perfect custodian for my '68. It is a remarkable car, ridiculously unique and a thrilling drive. We are alike, you and I, in the way that we choose to use our citroens. So you should buy it I have achieved what I said I would - make it reliable and viable as a daily drive and tourer, deal with the primary mechanical / Structural needs and enjoy it's use in an unrestored state. It's ready to continue in this way, or be taken to it's zenith.

Thanks, and 'keep 'em up and pumping' as Steely would say,

Tim
    mberry and Bounge like this.
    Current Garage:

'07 C5 Wagon
    '57 DS19
    '51 11BL
    '55 Big 15
    '56 Bentley S1

Quote Originally Posted by Middlemoon.1 View Post
    Hello,

you are all kind with your concerns about this sale - I've had some very considerate messages - more to the point my wellbeing with regards to it (!) - and I'm grateful for this. I don't have a good track record for selling cars that I should not, as you know. The sale of my ID has haunted me for years though I do hope the car brought pleasure to others. Despite putting several feelers out but have not been able to find it. You are right Michael that I hanker to get closer to the source - namely the three bearing motor. I have a long term project of a '64 DS and continue to gather what I need to complete that (I think I missed securing the original engine in recent years) but this car is basically like building a car from scratch and it is a retirement project....and I don't intend retiring for a while. Due to a serendipitous rendezvous with a CCOCA member I have been able to acquire a '57 DS in a state that is very able to be completed, and the knowledge of it's history, delivery and skills required to bring to an 'as delivered' condition is all apparent. Messers Paas will know the car. So I've committed to that. This car should bring together what has been a lifetime's appreciation and use of the D as a modern classic.

Shane you are the perfect custodian for my '68. It is a remarkable car, ridiculously unique and a thrilling drive. We are alike, you and I, in the way that we choose to use our citroens. So you should buy it I have achieved what I said I would - make it reliable and viable as a daily drive and tourer, deal with the primary mechanical / Structural needs and enjoy it's use in an unrestored state. It's ready to continue in this way, or be taken to it's zenith.

Thanks, and 'keep 'em up and pumping' as Steely would say,

Tim
    Yes I'd love that car. I'd have to win tattslotto first unfortunately. Its exactly how I like cars. I'd do nothing to it but drive. If you make a car to nice, you don't drive it anymore 'cos people damage them.

I painted the shitbox range rover over the last few months after it was accident damaged...... Its a bloody hideous bright blue ... has massive RHS section front and rear bars .... And has been crashed into more in the last 3 weeks than it has in the last 5 years. Even yesterday I started it at the supermarket, was pushing in the clutch to select revese and someone clobbered the back of it. They swung to hard and fast into the park beside me and hit the corner of the rear bar with quite a bit of force. That is the third impact that has gouged through to the metal in the 3 weeks since I've painted it ( it would take a massive hit to actually bend the bar fortunately). I don't quite get why people keep crashing into me lately. I've even had the front of the car reversed into several times while I'm filling it with gas. (you see them backing up and let go of the filler so you don't strain the coupling). And wait for the car to stop rocking and rolling after they have hit it. You know, not a single person has stopped to see what they hit. They just find they can't go backwards any further so drive forward again.

If I drove an immaculate DS everyday I think I'd use up the available worlds supply of bumpers within 6months given my luck lately.

seeya
    Shane L.
    Middlemoon.1 likes this.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Shane,

Drivers of classics - I include your rangie - tend to look around and know what they are about. Everywhere I go everyone else is crazy on the road. It's a nightmare. I know what you are saying for sure. It's that 'is everyone here crazy, or am I?' feeling.

Tim
    Current Garage:

'07 C5 Wagon
    '57 DS19
    '51 11BL
    '55 Big 15
    '56 Bentley S1

You are spot on about fixing cars up and not driving them Shane, since I resrored my DSpťcial I am ultra wary of where I choose not to park, like car parks, I avoid them point blank and will park some distance from where I wish to be in order to avoid people who pose a threat to panel and paint. Years ago the car lived on the street and it took unwarranted punishment from the dim and careless and in one case a genuine sociopath.

Just to provide balance to this conversation I'm predictably going to say I think we need both.
    We need the cars to drive which have the patina of age and history and have just been used and maintained. Fully restoring a car sadly destroys this, however we also need those cars which have had the full and proper restoration treatment to inspire and preserve a sense of what they were like when new. So few really get the full down to a bare chassis strip and rebuild in this country.
    In the end it's completely up to you and your preference which way you go with your car.
    Certainly I'm very wary of where I take my cars from fear of damage, but for me driving them is only a part of the experience - the restoration journey is the most meaningful thing for me.
    I do think though it's important to make your mind up from the start as to what the plan is, before investing a single $, that way your hard earned is directed well towards your intended outcome.
    Best of luck with the sale Tim - I do hope the car finds a good home.
    Kind regards,
    Mark
    Middlemoon.1 likes this.

Of course this is very true. A beautifully and faithfully restored DS is just wonderful, and a reminder of their gobsmacking impression when new, and in the hands of the talented / passionate restorers - including owners here - can also retain some aspects of that patina of the past. I hope I have contributed a step to rebirthing of this rare car, even though I'm chosing another direction which is strongly influenced by my earlier experiences.
    ds21bvh likes this.
    Current Garage:

'07 C5 Wagon
    '57 DS19
    '51 11BL
    '55 Big 15
    '56 Bentley S1

Fellow Frogger

Many old cars are simply beyond being 'maintained' and restoration work is essential if the car is to be preserved and remain a car you can drive. Sadly, many cars end up scrapped due to abandoned restorations where someone got in over their head. To restore a car like an aged DS properly is a lot of work even with the improved spares situation today. I don't think I'd retain LHS in major work, but certainly trying to save as much of the original trim, equipment and coatings has always been my preference. Choice of paints and materials can make a huge difference to how it all looks and it can be really hard to strike a balance between practicality and originality. Little things like hose clamps are important too.

Quote Originally Posted by forumnoreason View Post
    You are spot on about fixing cars up and not driving them Shane, since I resrored my DSpťcial I am ultra wary of where I choose not to park ....
    This is why you need a Cactus!
    ds21bvh likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ds21bvh View Post
    Just to provide balance to this conversation I'm predictably going to say I think we need both.
    We need the cars to drive which have the patina of age and history and have just been used and maintained. Fully restoring a car sadly destroys this, however we also need those cars which have had the full and proper restoration treatment to inspire and preserve a sense of what they were like when new. So few really get the full down to a bare chassis strip and rebuild in this country.
    In the end it's completely up to you and your preference which way you go with your car.
    Certainly I'm very wary of where I take my cars from fear of damage, but for me driving them is only a part of the experience - the restoration journey is the most meaningful thing for me.
    I do think though it's important to make your mind up from the start as to what the plan is, before investing a single $, that way your hard earned is directed well towards your intended outcome.
    Best of luck with the sale Tim - I do hope the car finds a good home.
    Kind regards,
    Mark
    I didn't say I didn't like restored cars. Just look at Michael Berrys cars for example. Absolutely spectacular. I would be to shit scared to even sit in one of them (incase I had grease on my clothing somewhere). That doesn't mean I don't think they are spectacular. If I had one like that here though. Imagine it .... kids sitting across the back seats slopping stuff everywhere. You'd drive yourself and everyone around you insane telling them to "be careful" ... "don't eat that in here" .... "Keep your bloody feet off the seats"..... "AAArrhhh, some asshole just backed into me AGAIN" .... etc.. etc... I have even had the CX backed into in a work carpark crumpling the front guard in. You would think they would at least be safe in a private carpark (nope).

Its very difficult to keep a car "nice" if you actually drive it

seeya
    Shane L.
    ds21bvh, Middlemoon.1 and alhantos like this.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Default A Rare DS - Opportunity Knocks

Hi Shane
    I was not inferring you did not like restored cars, my apologies if you got that impression. I was just putting the other point of view across. Iíd like to encourage more people to fully restore these beautiful cars. LOL I like your descriptive post as that is exactly what it is like. In the D I am always driving for everyone else on the road and it rarely gets parked on the street. Thatís why I think both approaches to preservation are valid.
    Kind regards
    Mark

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs
    Last edited by ds21bvh; 18th April 2019 at 08:28 AM.
    Middlemoon.1 likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

You'd drive yourself and everyone around you insane telling them to "be careful" ... "don't eat that in here" .... "Keep your bloody feet off the seats"..... "AAArrhhh, some asshole just backed into me AGAIN" .... etc.. etc...

Shane
    We are like this with all our vehicles...new and old. As for Victorian drivers, around Wagga Wagga they are rated in the same category as "hat drivers". ( ducking for cover)

Fellow Frogger!

Through this thread, I have now had an encouraging enquiry regarding the '63 ID Safari that Tim sold me some years ago.
    In the DS book it shows one of these painted a beautiful yellow. Although a better wagon than my '62 Slough Safari, it needs more work doing than I have the time for and it would be lovely to see it out and about.
    Having had it under cover all this time, it is still in good condition. The interested person, I hope, will do a top restoration and it will certainly stand out in the crowd as a good example of the early 60's Citroen Safari.
    Michael
    Middlemoon.1 and gsowner84 like this.

I only started to ' restore' my car since something had to be done. I could have sold it and forgotten about it sll together but chose to persevere as it was an intersting addictive challenge. The motor was shot and then I thought well you've gone down this path, and everything I looked at from there was like this needs to be done too. I've still got period seats in it albeit from an earlier D and they give it a nice feel. But in time they'll be replaced with correct pattern material. Anything thats been around for 40+ years is going to show signs of wear. The big issue is mechanical functionality and often that results in replacement. I'd rather a car that I can mostly trust to get me from A to be B than one that has we constantly watching gauges and a STOP lamp that years ago liked to come on far too often!

Michael that safari is indeed a great car. If the purchaser ever wants to know about work done prior to your ownership, I'd be happy to speak with them. I actually had some of my best 'D' experiences in that car. Bringing it back from Brisbane after a 'service' with Lance, and camping along the way in the back. Having the DS19 spec motor, big weber etc, it is a fabulous high speed tourer with magnificent visibility. I let it go at the time as my mother died, her place sold (along with one of my key storage facilities. That was a challenging time. But it's great that you have managed to keep it safe for so long, awaiting its resurrection! I noted that it had originally been delivered with power steering....since dispensed with and now has a manual rack. An interesting memory is travelling through inland NSW and getting not one but two flats. A problem for all the reasons you can imagine. Good on Lance, making sure I carried a hand pump. I used the old school levers and 'walked' the 400s off the rim, vulcanised the patch in the way I remember my father doing it. I had some spare tyres, fortunately, also and after camping the night was able to set off again happily. Good times.
    The spec of that car is French 'confort' I was able to find remnants of the original burgundy fabric which I would have replaced had I gone on with it. Sounds like it's got a great future, which is all that matters.

Tim
    Current Garage:

'07 C5 Wagon
    '57 DS19
    '51 11BL
    '55 Big 15
    '56 Bentley S1

Dear Froggers,

My DS has been sold and going to a great new owner.

Thanks to all,

Tim
    Current Garage:

'07 C5 Wagon
    '57 DS19
    '51 11BL
    '55 Big 15
    '56 Bentley S1

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information