• 1 Post By dmccurtayne
  • 1 Post By dmccurtayne
  • 1 Post By dmccurtayne
  • 1 Post By David S
  • 1 Post By dmccurtayne

Thread: C5 X7 2 litre deisel RHR nearly stalling on takeoff

jya

Default C5 X7 2 litre deisel RHR nearly stalling on takeoff

Car idles normally at standstill in drive but when accelerate off from standstill almost stalls. Drives normally otherwise..
    This happened for a few months. In hot humid weather it wasn't as bad. Changed the air filter with little difference.
    Anyhow last week problem disappeared, odd!
    Any thoughts?

Advertisement
    2009 Citroen C5 HDI
    Triumph Stag
    Triumph 2500S
    Jaguar S Type R

When did you last change the fuel filter ?

Cheers Ken

jya

Thought of that Ken. Did change it with no difference at all..
    Harry Maclean likes this.
    2009 Citroen C5 HDI
    Triumph Stag
    Triumph 2500S
    Jaguar S Type R

How many kilometres?

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
    Last edited by draftpunk; 9th April 2019 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Incorrect post

Fellow Frogger

Fuel is drawn from the tank under vacuum. Check the tank isn't under any vacuum, which might suggest a blocked breather.
    Vacuum system leaks or a failing vacuum electrovalve??? The double doser valve at the front of the engine might have a bad diaphragm or be intermittently sticking or not operating as intended if its electrovalve is misbehaving.
    Vacuum comes from a pump on the end of the head and there is a check valve inside. At 10 years, some of the hoses may be soggy or the valve in the pump a bit gummed up? However, you'd experience an initial loss of brake assistance if that was the problem.

jya

Quote Originally Posted by draftpunk View Post
    How many kilometres?

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
    Car has done 95,000 km.
    2009 Citroen C5 HDI
    Triumph Stag
    Triumph 2500S
    Jaguar S Type R

jya

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    Fuel is drawn from the tank under vacuum. Check the tank isn't under any vacuum, which might suggest a blocked breather.
    Vacuum system leaks or a failing vacuum electrovalve??? The double doser valve at the front of the engine might have a bad diaphragm or be intermittently sticking or not operating as intended if its electrovalve is misbehaving.
    Vacuum comes from a pump on the end of the head and there is a check valve inside. At 10 years, some of the hoses may be soggy or the valve in the pump a bit gummed up? However, you'd experience an initial loss of brake assistance if that was the problem.
    Car is just on 10 years old. As mentioned problem went away last week after months of being there. Occasionally it wasn't that bad but sometimes it got worse. Actually did stall a few times on take-off when the Mrs drove it. I could tell when it was about to stall when I drove it and dropped the revs at the accelerator to stop it stalling.
    2009 Citroen C5 HDI
    Triumph Stag
    Triumph 2500S
    Jaguar S Type R

Well, let's hope it stays away then. But it probably won't. When I have been under my RHR bonnet, I have tried to put minimal stress on all those very thin walled tubes that dart around all over the place. I have a complete failure of the Supercharge battery that was totally unannounced the other day. It wouldn't even lock or unlock the car. So the C5 is now on its third battery and I have put a Varta Silver into it this time.

Cheers, Ken
    antonio likes this.

Tadpole

It might come back again. It may be the DPF is ok most of the time but not just prior to a regeneration. My C5 was stalling terribly when i bought it at 135000km. It only stalled after warming up so my 5 minute commute was a breeze but any long highway run would end with a lot of stalling. A spray can of intake/egr cleaner was the first thing i tried which worked for about two weeks. I make sure to only use the right total oil which may help. I have been advised on here that thereís something wrong maybe with that mixer thing but so far my mechanic hasnít nailed the cause. When I first bought the car it would drive all day no problems on the highway until idling at the first set of lights. Iíve tried a bunch of injector cleaners. A couple are really good and improved idle a lot which reduced the stalling but it wasnít until i went down the DPF/turbo cleaner route that the stalling stopped. The car is now at 220000km and has only stalled once in the last 6months. Economy improved too I believe. Good luck sorting your car.

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs
    Last edited by antonio; 14th April 2019 at 11:14 AM.

Tadpole

Check the dosers/ throttle body and vacuum solenoids that control them. Can cause flat spot or stalling if not working properly.

Also carrying out a forced DPF regeneration or removal of the DPF and back flush clean with a marcher can be better than using chemical cleaners u add to tank or intake.
    antonio likes this.

jya

As Ken W prophesised the desire to stall from take off has started again...
    In fact after all day use yesterday with everything nicely warmed up it did something different and decided to stall at idle as well; it hot started easily but kept stalling straight away every time, until I waited for 15 minutes to restart. Stopped stalling at idle but still wants to keep stalling at take off..
    antonio likes this.
    2009 Citroen C5 HDI
    Triumph Stag
    Triumph 2500S
    Jaguar S Type R

Suction control valve

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
    Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
    Fix it right the first time

jya

Many thanks dmccurtayne I will start there and give it a shot, struggling to find a part number for my RHR engine..
    Is it some sort of fuel regulator to the pump?
    Also where does the thing sit?
    2009 Citroen C5 HDI
    Triumph Stag
    Triumph 2500S
    Jaguar S Type R

1000+ Posts

Suction is managed by solenoid valves. The doseur valve is vacuum operated. Just trace the tube.

No seasink the suction control valve is what actually controls the fuel pressure jya they can start to stick and cause what you described Iíve seen 307s do this you can replace it separately to the pump

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
    Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
    antonio likes this.

What pump do you have the second on is more common for this problem
    IMG_1559601087.926307.jpgIMG_1559601099.073568.jpg

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
    antonio likes this.

If yours is a Delphi like most x7 c5s are this is the part for your pump the second picture above.
    IMG_1559601368.293680.jpg

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
    Last edited by dmccurtayne; 4th June 2019 at 09:49 AM.
    antonio likes this.

1000+ Posts

Sorry dmcc, I wasn't talking the same language. I equated suction with vacuum.

Tadpole

A minor update which may provide some food for thought jya. Thanks Frenchiemech34 for your suggestion. The throttle body is definitely looking Ďpromisingí as an issue with an oil leak noted during a service inspection last week. Presumably the intake is pretty gross inside!

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs

Fellow Frogger

Could be a pump issue, EGR, vacuum or even an Eolys blockage in the tank unit pickup etc.. Early on in the life of the RHR engine, some cars would randomly seem to go to sleep while driving. The cause was the double doser valve and there was a service campaign to replace them. The X7 is rather later, so shouldn't have the problematic early type of doser, but given the age of the earlier X7 cars now, you do want to check the doser diaphragms carefully and make sure the butterflies move freely. If in doubt replace.
    antonio likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    Could be a pump issue, EGR, vacuum or even an Eolys blockage in the tank unit pickup etc.. Early on in the life of the RHR engine, some cars would randomly seem to go to sleep while driving. The cause was the double doser valve and there was a service campaign to replace them. The X7 is rather later, so shouldn't have the problematic early type of doser, but given the age of the earlier X7 cars now, you do want to check the doser diaphragms carefully and make sure the butterflies move freely. If in doubt replace.
    Yes David but the doser issue caused a drop to idle not stall I know because I did a thousand of the gd things ,it was a recall not service action.
    Most pumps that get replaced are due to a faulty SCV or miss diagnosed.

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
    antonio likes this.

Thread Information