C5 X7 Suggestions whilst changing timing belt.
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By dmccurtayne
  • 1 Post By jya

Thread: C5 X7 Suggestions whilst changing timing belt.

jya

Default C5 X7 Suggestions whilst changing timing belt.

Attachment 113140Attachment 113142

Advertisement

Time for a timing belt change on 4 cyl RHR 2 litre diesel and keen to see what else is suggested to do whilst there? Looks like well overdue as the Australian ĎMaintenance and Warranty Guideí handbook ďApplicable from 1 November, 2008Ē states timing belt for C4 Picasso/C4/C5/C6/C8 suggests replacement at 100,000 kms or 4 years; whichever come first.. Car has done 95,000 kms but nearly 10 years old. Very little about replacing anything else mentioned in the book, other than toping up the Particle filter at 120,000 kms and replacing at 180,000 kms.
    Anyhow looking at a couple of timing belt kits which as expected only include as extra the 2 pulleys/tensioners. I do have the belt on its own; Continental CT1091 so not sure if I should bother with buying the kit and changing the pulleys?
    Can locally get an 'SKF' belt kit for $196 or an 'Optibelt' kit for $135 delivered. Not sure if anyone recommends anything better? I will change the water pump while at it, $87 delivered, ĎSKFí brand as well.
    Drive belt still looks okay, change?
    I want to change the crank and cam seals but not sure of the right ones/part numbers.
    What other seals should I bother with here? Hard to see but it looks like a minor oil leak from the front of the engine case, maybe crank seal?
    Also I noticed car does have a broken top RHS engine mount; looks like there are 3 bushes on that 2 piece engine mount and appears the black horizontal link above the alternator has let go on the engine side. Is there a bush available to press into this link or just buy a new link?

Would much appreciate advice and if anyone can give me part numbers or direct me where I could easily find the right part numbers.
    Many thanks.
    2009 Citroen C5 HDI
    Triumph Stag
    Triumph 2500S
    Jaguar S Type R

1000+ Posts

Have you spoken to EAI or Parts of France (both in Melbourne) about the bits needed, including the mount?

The X7 handbook from 2008 is available for download at service.citroen. Be warned - you must correctly lock the engine before undoing stuff.

Good luck with that...

Default C5 X7 Suggestions whilst changing timing belt.

You donít need to lock a rhr engine if you are using a rattle gun to undo the crank pulley but take care of the crank sensor pickup near the pulley go the skf kit itís in there for a long time I personally wouldnít do the crank seals Iíve done plenty of these 1st 2nd and third belts never seen a front seal leak maybe only slightly stain more likely to have a leak after replacing the seal engine mounts are cheap enough on eBay not worth rebushing with the oil leak check the turbo pipes or rear main they tend run along the sump and trick young players.

FYI peugeot do the same belt at 180k 9years
    I ran my 307 xse to 220 and 12 before I sold it obviously the new owner new that.

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
    Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
    Fix it right the first time

jya

Thanks seasink. I will call them tomorrow. Did not even know they existed! The car has been very reliable with just basic maintenance. Had it from 39,000 kms and now at 95,000 kms so I need to start paying some more attention now. I have all the X7 books with the car. A parts number, repair operation manual site would be handy.
    2009 Citroen C5 HDI
    Triumph Stag
    Triumph 2500S
    Jaguar S Type R

jya

Thanks cee5. Done 57,000 kms in the car and been going along nicely. As mentioned to seasink now time to give it a bit more love. Had a quote to do the lot for $1,200. I am setup and could do this. I do nearly all the work on my other cars but how much time does one have? The other 3 cars are of course English and all imperial. The C5 however is the work horse!
    2009 Citroen C5 HDI
    Triumph Stag
    Triumph 2500S
    Jaguar S Type R

jya

Thanks very much for the reply dmccurtayne! Advice much appreciated as well!
    I will go the SKF brand kit then. I already have a new Continental belt, would you just change the belt and water pump and leave the pulleys alone at 95 kms?
    I will leave the crank seal alone. Same for the cam seal though?
    Hard to know which seals are gone until start removing bits. I will pay attention to the turbo pipes and rear main seal!
    Cruel that Peugeot do the same seal at 180k and 9 years.... Amazing you ran your 307 to 220k and 12 years!
    Cheers.
    2009 Citroen C5 HDI
    Triumph Stag
    Triumph 2500S
    Jaguar S Type R

In Europe some markets do 240k so I wasnít at my limit yet Iím in the trade so a few broken valves doesnít worry me.

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
    Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
    Ken W likes this.

jya

Thats amazing for a belt! I gathered you are in the trade. A few broken valves, that too funny!
    Great to see you (and a few others) posting here. Your knowledge and posts are invaluable. Keep up the great work.
    What engine do you have in your C5?
    2009 Citroen C5 HDI
    Triumph Stag
    Triumph 2500S
    Jaguar S Type R

RHH 163hp but wonít be playing belt roulette with that one.

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE

Tadpole

The timing belt replacement interval is 100km on CitroŽn. 180km on Peugeot with rhr and Mondeo is 200km or 10 years with same engine.

As itís a Long interval itís best to replace all that is driven in the area. As any item to fail will cause the same damage as a broken timing belt.

It is therefore best to replace the timing belt kit with tensioner and idler pulleys and the water pump. As a failed water pump can also cause catastrophic damage.

A water pump can be bought for around $49 for a VALEO and a Hutchinson timing kit for around $150.

Stay away from Repco or the like. Even going genuine is much cheaper than a gates or Dayco timing kit.

EAI.NET.AU

Is the best place to get any service parts for your French car.

jya

Timing and alternator belts, water pump and 2 broken upper RH engine mounts changed today. Local mechanic charged $590 in labour. I could have done it myself but with 4 cars I don't get much time.
    Was difficult to access everything as not much clearance on the RHS. He did not like the job, ended up with a few battle wounds.
    Even though 10 years old belt looked okay to me. No fraying or missing teeth but now have the peace of mind.
    UFO likes this.
    2009 Citroen C5 HDI
    Triumph Stag
    Triumph 2500S
    Jaguar S Type R

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jya View Post
    Timing and alternator belts, water pump and 2 broken upper RH engine mounts changed today. Local mechanic charged $590 in labour. I could have done it myself but with 4 cars I don't get much time.
    Was difficult to access everything as not much clearance on the RHS. He did not like the job, ended up with a few battle wounds.
    Even though 10 years old belt looked okay to me. No fraying or missing teeth but now have the peace of mind.
    Hi jya
    Glad you got done what you wanted and needed !!
    But just a comment on this "No fraying or missing teeth" If you find this then you were too late. In my experience if the belt is clean and oil free it will be OK. If it is soaked by oil from a seal leaking then it is certainly in the danger zone. But on some cars the plastic idler pulleys or tensioners will be the weak link and/or the water pump also. Just a general observation.

No east west engine cars have much space on the timing end. Bl**Y stupid but the norm. I did one Ford years ago where the belt had to be pushed through the gap only one run at a time as there was not enough for two thickness.
    Jaahn

1000+ Posts

I changed the belts on my 206 a few weeks ago...I could show you some battle scars! Cut my right arm up a fair bit. This was the tightest belt space I've worked on. Reminded me of working on the old Cooper S, but at least that didn't have a belt!

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Thread Information