• Help
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By David S
  • 1 Post By JAJEA
  • 1 Post By David S
  • 1 Post By JAJEA

Thread: No CitroŽn Manufacturer's Plate

Default No CitroŽn Manufacturer's Plate

Whilst looking at a possible potential new acquisition, there is no manufacturer's giving month and year of manufacturing plus other data.
    It does however have an Australian compliance plate.
    Should I be concerned? (Vehicle is a series 1 XM)
    John

Advertisement

UFO

No VIN anywhere?

Private import?
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

1000+ Posts

The VIN's on the compliance plate isn't it?

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

No UFO and Stuey, VIN is not the issue, manufacturer' plate - "Automobiles CitroŽn" that details in addition to the VIN, vehicle weights, manufacture date et al.
    The body is stamped with theVIN as is the Australian compliance plate. It is not a private import.
    The plate is not where it should be / normally is.
    Should I be concerned? There is no evidence on any of the pillars - left and right.

1000+ Posts

You've galvanised me into checking for the plates on my Series II.

My Australian compliance plate is on top of the firewall, base of scuttle - pop-rivetted onto a flat steel section.

My car has an original manufacturer's plate, but it's location has surprised me. It's firmly pop-riveted onto the removable, plastic, full-width plate above the radiator!!!

So a front-end bingle when the car was young and worth repairing, and the manufacturer's plate goes into the bin with the damaged parts!! The good news (for me) is that my car does not appear to have had a front-end repair!

After a recent experience with a Xantia, I compared the 2 numbers carefully - both agree with the registration paper .

Cheers

Alec

Fellow Frogger

It has a compliance plate and the VIN is stamped into the chassis rail alongside the front guard, so there should be no problem when it comes to ID a rego authority. Presumably it's had Vic rego at some stage, so will be in their records anyway.
    UFO likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Armidillo View Post
    You've galvanised me into checking for the plates on my Series II.

My Australian compliance plate is on top of the firewall, base of scuttle - pop-rivetted onto a flat steel section.

My car has an original manufacturer's plate, but it's location has surprised me. It's firmly pop-riveted onto the removable, plastic, full-width plate above the radiator!!!

So a front-end bingle when the car was young and worth repairing, and the manufacturer's plate goes into the bin with the damaged parts!! The good news (for me) is that my car does not appear to have had a front-end repair!

After a recent experience with a Xantia, I compared the 2 numbers carefully - both agree with the registration paper .

Cheers

Alec
    That's exactly my concern Alec. all of the other paraphernalia is there on that plastic member in front of the radiator but no Automobiles Citroen plate. It has not been bingled. If it has, why not replaced straightened out manufacturer's plate
    John
    Armidillo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    It has a compliance plate and the VIN is stamped into the chassis rail alongside the front guard, so there should be no problem when it comes to ID a rego authority. Presumably it's had Vic rego at some stage, so will be in their records anyway.
    Thanks David,

Agreed as I believe we are well beyond the 25 year club permit scheme in Victoria but the age is governed by that manufacturer's plate (or is it?)

My current XM VIN is: VF7Y3AG0002AG7057. Manufactured Sept 1990, Au compliance achieved Feb 1991

The one I'm looking at is: VF7Y3AG0003AG2016. No manufacture plate, Au compliance achieved Jan 1993

So, which one is younger

John

Hmm. Which was made first indeed!! You'd suspect that back in the day some Xantias sat around for quite a while before selling. Weren't they sold by S**B dealers more or less in competition with the S**B 900 series? I know my Xantia was sold by the local S**B dealer as they had the radio code on record, to their great credit.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Fellow Frogger

Starting at 1, every Citroen and Peugeot since 9 November 1976 has a build day number, which is called the RPO, ORGA or DAM number etc. and marked on the cars. If the build date plate is missing, you can look up the VIN in Citroen Service (Characteristics) and although not all the info there is reliable for cars pre XM2, the RP does seem to be. Then you can convert that to a date.

Your car VF7Y3AG0002AG7057 has RP 05058, so 5058 should be stencilled on the body, probably on the chassis behind the left headlamp. 5058 translates to a build date of 14/9/90. So, manufactured Sept 1990 with Au compliance Feb 1991 would be correct.

The car you are looking at, VF7Y3AG0003AG2016 has RP 05141, so look for 5141 stencilled on the body. That translates to a build date of 6/12/90. It's not impossible that it took 2 years to be sold and have the compliance plate issued in Jan 1993. Maybe, someone removed the build plate so it didn't look so old at the point of sale??? The compliance plate becomes the 'manufacturer' plate in our market and is what any inspector will seek out first.

I have the books for a very similar VIN, which I assume is dead and buried, but it had an RP of 5139, also December 1990, yet it was apparently first sold in May 1994. So, there could well have been a stock overhang at the time. If you have the books for either car you mention, there is a space for the RP to be noted on the first page along with the first owner and chassis info.

Note the 2 vs 3 in the VINs.
    JohnW likes this.

1000+ Posts

Does that location apply to late Series II cars as well David? Just looked in the general area behind the LH headlight, and all I found was 6(!!!) earth points - still looking nice a clean and shiny - but no stencilled numbers. To see lower down I would have to remove the air box.

Also checked on door frames (where 'modern' Peugeots, such as a 19 yr old 406, might hide equivalent info). All I found was a tyre pressure sticker, which interestingly seems to give me permission to exceed 200km/h, with the proviso that I increase tyre pressures .

Also checked the service book - Vin and engine #s recorded, and colour (Gris Quartz), and there is a 4 char item labelled 'Code' , but it's blank.

Re. the delays between manufacture and compliance, with my XM it's remarkably just 2 months (sold 4 months later), while my SII Xantia wagon had an 11 month compliancing delay (sold 1 month later).

Cheers

Alec
    Last edited by Armidillo; 7th April 2019 at 05:17 PM.

Fellow Frogger

Likely you have the colour code letters behind the headlamp and the RP on the left A pillar just above the check strap in yellow.

Thanks David, once again I reckon you are spot on, buying a new car that is obviously 3 years old does not / would not go ever well hence the removal of the Automobiles Citroen manufacturer's plate. And, if I recall correctly, the 2 rivets that secure it in place had been filled in with rivets to fill the holes.

No books for either XMs but the "5058" is on the LHS A pillar on mine upon opening the door and I do remember that the other one had a number higher than 5058 hence a few months younger than mine.

What is the significance of the 2AG and the 3AG in the VIN?

John
    JohnW likes this.

Fellow Frogger

3AG would just come after 2AG in series, when 2AG9999 was reached. A bit like numbering for the DS.
    Remember, there was a serious recession around 1990, so selling an oddball $90K car in 1991/2 would have become a tough ask at the time. There was probably a solid discount involved when it did sell.

Thread Information