Berlingo VS Doblo
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Berlingo VS Doblo

Hey all,

I posted this question on a Berlingo specific forum, but got no replies in three days. I'm hoping I get some sort of response out of you guys .

I know answers will be biased, but I thought I'd ask anyway.
    I'm in the market for a van and I am leaning heavily towards the Berlingo. I was looking around a 2016 model, L2 1.6L e-HDi with automatic gearbox.
    Has anyone here driven the comparable Doblo with the 1.6L and 5 auto speed gearbox?
    Admittedly, I prefer the Doblo interior, (at least it has cup holders!), but I like the Berlingo's practicality. I like that you can fold down the passenger seat and gain an extra meter of space. I also don't mind the Android auto head unit, although I've heard it can be difficult at times.

Which one would be more reliable? Considering the reputation of both manufacturers, I think that is a fair question.

Not interested in manual, so try not to talk me into it. I've driven single clutch auto's before and the way they function doesn't really bother me. In saying that, I've heard that Citroens 6 speed is better than Fiats 5 speed. Can anyone here verify?

Any other input is greatly appreciated.

Advertisement

Thanks.

I should add, I'm looking at a 'lingo tomorrow that has 50K km on it. Anything in particular I should look out for?

Thanks again.

1000+ Posts

The 6 speed auto in Cits is from Aisin in Japan, and has a top reputation. With the 1.6 HDI lubrication with the correct low ash oil and changed on time is essential to avoid expensive surprises. Check the car's service history.

Cit's aren't expensive to run if you know where to go, and have proved reliable when maintained properly.

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    The 6 speed auto in Cits is from Aisin in Japan, and has a top reputation. With the 1.6 HDI lubrication with the correct low ash oil and changed on time is essential to avoid expensive surprises. Check the car's service history.

Cit's aren't expensive to run if you know where to go, and have proved reliable when maintained properly.
    I didn't know Aisin made the robotised box. I always thought they just made conventional torque converter autos.
    Is it a wet clutch or dry clutch system?
    I'm guessing at 50k, the gearbox will be up for servicing?

1000+ Posts

The robotised 6 speed EGS box is by PSA (Peugeot). It is a quick change device attached to a conventional clutch and gearbox. It can be run either with auto changes or manually.

I had thought you were referrig to a torque converter auto. The comments on the HDI engine are appropriate.
    Last edited by seasink; 3rd April 2019 at 10:17 PM.

Tadpole

I just got back from a test drive.
    The cheeky buggers took the pictures for the advert in such a way that you can't see the 'Jims cleaning' stickers all over it. So the car will definitely need a detail. Also had some paint chips on the passenger side door and the interior seats were stained.
    Other than that, it drove very nicely and I was surprised at how well the robotised auto shifted compared to my wife's Fiat 500.
    They want a bit much for it though, at $19K. I might low ball them at $15K and see what happens. Realistically only worth $16k.

Considering that I can get a new Fiat for $23k without negotiations, $19K for a Berlingo with 50k km on it is a bit much.

Thread Information