Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By dmccurtayne
  • 1 Post By harrisson_citroen
  • 1 Post By JohnW
  • 1 Post By Ken W
  • 1 Post By dmccurtayne

Thread: suspension leak c5 x7

Default suspension leak c5 x7

Just had the car serviced. The mechanic reported small leaks from the front struts. He also reported the lhm reservoir is low. Can this be topped up with any LHM+ fluid? He was unwilling to use a generic brand lhm fluid. Is he correct?. Not sure of my next step to counter this problem. Any suggestions? 150,000Km.

Advertisement

A x7 uses lds only lhm is not the correct fluid once they start the late struts can just dump their biscuit pretty quick if your keeping the car just replace the struts and lower bushes while youíre there.

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
    Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
    Fix it right the first time
    antonio likes this.

Thank God for my Hydroen harrisson_citroen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tasie C5 View Post
    Just had the car serviced. The mechanic reported small leaks from the front struts. He also reported the lhm reservoir is low. Can this be topped up with any LHM+ fluid? He was unwilling to use a generic brand lhm fluid. Is he correct?. Not sure of my next step to counter this problem. Any suggestions? 150,000Km.
    As David said: NO LHM (Green)! only LDS (Liquide Direction Suspension) Orange!
    UFO likes this.
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

UFO

Mixing LHM and LDS creates mayonnaise - and expense.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Sorry. You're correct. Checked with Penrite for their LDAS and they checked for compatibility and it meets the Total spec.
    The reservoir took 1 litre. I had a cursory look at the front struts and couldn't see any sign of leaks so I placed some cardboard under them and the rear ones, also there looked to be some dampness around the pipes at the rear centre spheres. I then went through the raise/ lower cycle to get some fluid moving. The fluid just pops up through the filter on low position.
    I assume there must be return lines in there somewhere do they leak.
    Is one litre a lot for a top up after 150,000Km.

I'd have thought 1 litre is a lot, especially if it dropped suddenly. Have you a dud sphere somewhere?

I had a loss in the CX a few years ago that I couldn't find and it was a drip onto the exhaust flexible joint, and all burned off so I never saw a drip. I was very puzzled/worried about the blue smoke from the exhaust until I finally realised it wasn't rings or valve guides at all......
    antonio likes this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

JohnW.
    This is the first time in 8+ years I've looked in the reservoir. The suspension works as it should. I don't know if ever there has been top ups. Not had chance to spend time under the car.

Quote Originally Posted by tasie C5 View Post
    JohnW.
    This is the first time in 8+ years I've looked in the reservoir. The suspension works as it should. I don't know if ever there has been top ups. Not had chance to spend time under the car.
    Nor a need, which is great! The only time our Xantia EVER needed LHM was a sphere failure. Never leaked a drop.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Fellow Frogger

Just a reminder that the brakes on C5/C6 use regular DOT4 brake fluid.

The LDS level is supposedly checked when the suspension is fully depressurised, which needs a diagnostic tool, so a quick check is to put it to the low setting and see if it approximately at the level of the seam in the tank. Adding LHM to an LDS car is not the disaster that adding brake fluid to LHM/LDS is. The problem with LDAS is that it is green, so you don't know if someone has added LHM or LDAS.

The struts are not sensibly repairable. Buy new if leaking. However, check that you don't have a leak at a hose joint because these have a replaceable bonded steel/rubber seal. It is in the parts catalogue but not listed on the pages that show the hoses.

Thanks David.
    Are these joints crimped and can they be sourced from a hydraulic hose suppler.
    Is there a particularly susceptible one.Allan.

There is a rear pipe (pressure) that is common to leak on a x7 hard to see without a ramp

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
    Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring

Citroen did away with most of the return lines on the C5X7 and the C6.

Cheers, Ken
    dmccurtayne likes this.

Found a leaking pipe under the rear of the car near the central spheres. It's about 350mm long rubber tube with a crimp either end attached to a metal pipe. Anyone know if this pipe can be safely removed and replaced with, say a standard fuel rubber pipe. Will it be under pressure.

No you need to get the correct one

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE

Is there a procedure to change it. Depressurise etc.? If it is removed does the system need bleeding after.
    Maybe I could just tighten the crimps.

You need to replace it and yes need to depressurise the suspension

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE

Any idea where the part can be found in australia.

Dealer is the best place what side whatís your vin

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE

Passenger.
    Just looked at the pipe and there is a split either side of the crimp. Looks like it has weakened the pipe rather than a full break. Could be the crimp was over crimped. Ive wiped it down and am about to go for a drive and see if the leak is significant.

The split runs lengthwise about 6mm either side of the crimp.
    After a drive there was a seepage from the split. I then cleaned the area thoroughly with acetone and applied a silicone glue to the split and then fitted 2 cable ties either side of the crimp covering the split. I will leave it overnight to allow the glue to set.
    It is definitely a return pipe so I assume is under little pressure??

Looks like my repair was successful on the rear return line. The fluid level in as it should be now.
    The other suspension leak that could be more serious is from the front struts. The mechanic said there is a leak on each strut. As far as I can see, there is no sign of leaks around the top near the sphere. On the lower end there is some road grime accumulation. Not what I would call wet but just damp. No drips under the car ( other than when I'm there). I read somewhere there can be some "misting" from the strut which is nothing to worry about??.
    I'l check the fluid level periodically in the next few days to see if the level drop.
    Allan

Tadpole

Front struts are easy to replace. Just make sure u depressurise the suspension system before removing them. U can get replacement front struts on an C5 X7 for about $380 plus freight each. Takes about 30 min a side to replace. Very easy. Not as hard as u think.

Thanks Frennchiemech34.
    Any description of the procedure if I do it?. Fluid level is keeping constant for the moment. I haven't had a long run yet.

He shows up randomly to get business
    To do the struts on a c5 you will need a sphere removal tool they are super tight on x7s a socket with chain can work but can scratch up the sphere a bit I have a genuine one that I would be happy to lend out if you pay postage and somebody I know can vouch for you no offence but after the tool drama Iíve had a my work of late Iím turning into my dad

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
    jaahn likes this.

I can print out the destructions if you want

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE

Thread Information