11BL Silentbloc replacement
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger! citroenthusiast's Avatar

Default 11BL Silentbloc replacement

Any tips/tricks for getting the splined shaft out of the lower control arm and silentbloc housings? I have the torsion bars out and the steering subframe removed, but my 12 ton press could not move the splined shaft that runs from the front silentbloc through the lower control arm into the rear silentbloc, even with a propane torch heating the lower control arm. I understand it is tapered so it must be pressed out from front to back.... More heat? Let it soak overnight with penetrating oil? Get a bigger press?????

Advertisement
    Cheers,
    John T.

54 11BL; 61DS19 LHM (son's); 71DS21 BVH; 73SM 3.0; 73SM 2.7EFI; 73SM 3.0 (other son's); 74 Maserati Merak

These usually press out no problems Except (don't ask me why I know!) sometimes rusty splined pins are supplemented with a grub screw through the lower arm into the pin! if the latter is covered in grease you mightn't see it !!
    '04 Megane
    Gone but not forgotten
    '71 16 TS, '72 16 TL, '74 15TS,'82 20TS Series 2, '85 25 GTX. '49 L15,

Thanks for that. I will inspect further. Any idea if the grub screw would be underneath or above?
    Cheers,
    John T.

54 11BL; 61DS19 LHM (son's); 71DS21 BVH; 73SM 3.0; 73SM 2.7EFI; 73SM 3.0 (other son's); 74 Maserati Merak

Earlier cars had a fully splined pin that requires a press of approx 80 tons. Later splined shafts have the splines cleaned off in the centre section and are easier to remove. Yes, they press out to the rear. Soak the splines in penetrating fluid for several days before the attempt to remove. I have removed these
    with a mandrel made from an old torsion bar cut in half and struck with a sledge hammer. It sounds brutal but the shock from the sledge blow encourages the pin to commence moving!
    Cheers Gerry

Quote Originally Posted by citroenthusiast View Post
    Thanks for that. I will inspect further. Any idea if the grub screw would be underneath or above?
    Mine were on top but well camouflaged ! The pins were the type Gerry described with the splines only at either end
    '04 Megane
    Gone but not forgotten
    '71 16 TS, '72 16 TL, '74 15TS,'82 20TS Series 2, '85 25 GTX. '49 L15,

I came across the videos of these guys on YouTube a few weeks back, might be of help https://youtu.be/tVynWxd23ec
    Cheers, Marc.

1987 CX GTi T2 Maikonics
    1972 SM 2.7 carb
    1972 DS21 EFI

After taking the steering subframe off I noticed that the huge nuts that hold the subframe to the horizontal studs that extend from the body have two different lengths. I can't find them in the parts manual... Do the longer ones go on the top two studs or the bottom two?? Sill trying to locate an 80 ton press to get the splined shafts out LOL....
    Cheers,
    John T.

Thread Information