• Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By seasink

Thread: C5 X7 DW10 engine fuel economy?

UFO

Default C5 X7 DW10 engine fuel economy?

Hi,

We've had the 2015 C5 for a few weeks now. Our usual driving is freeway distance with some in town driving too. So far I'm less than impressed with fuel consumption. I thought the DW10 was supposed to be better than the predecessor.

Advertisement

The 2009 C5 gets 6.4 to 6.8 l/100km based on the odometer reads.

The 2015 C5 (DW10) is reporting 7.4 to 7.8 l/100km.

Do these figures equate with other's consumption?

Discuss...
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

I would think that a few weeks is not long enough to get an accurate figure.

My 2010 model RHH can show (on that tankful) anything from 4.8 between Sydney and Melbourne to around 8 towing a small box trailer. The tank-to-tank trip generally shows around mid-7s, but will drop at least 0.5 between Sydney and Gosford, although less than that again on the way back.

The one I let go up to 9999km shows 6.6 or so, over several cycles. It may gain or lose ~0.2 depending on if I am cruising or towing, even if it has several thousands km already on it.

I have found that, consistently, the actual litres used divided by the 100km on the odo works out at 0.4 - 0.5 higher than the average on the trip computer, for that tankful.

Rereading and editing, my long term consumption agrees very much with your 2009 figure.

1000+ Posts

There's a family of DW10 2.0 HDI engines, such as B, C and even F. Let's be specific.
    dmccurtayne likes this.

Funny you should post this, I got my first decent long-distance run fuel figure today. Sydney to Tweed Heads, via an overnight in Ballina, trip computer showing 5.2L/100km average (reset at start of the trip) using tank to tank method average was actually 6.3L/100km.
    Mostly nudging the 10 percent leeway you can get away with in NSW.
    Iím a bit disappointed with that, I have fitted a Bluespark tuning box (basic box, CR something) thatís made for better throttle response but I donít know about the claimed 10% fuel economy improvement. I havenít had the car long enough to have gained a comparable figure. About 20% at 80km/h with roadworks too.
    Big difference between t/computer and actual figure.
    This is with a 2010 RHH, aka DW10CTED4.

Tadpole

My X7 is a very early 2008 with the 2 litre B motor and has now done 80ks so I suppose its nearly run in.Don't worry too much about l/100 but I fill up on the quarter on the gauge which is about 800kms around town and on runs to Sydney from the Gold Coast I don't bother to fill up until I've done at least 1250kms which leaves about 10 litres in the tank.It's the most economical car I've owned.Big difference to my 2002 V6 petrol C5.

UFO

Well it appears a few months ownership and some good long distance trips has sorted the fuel economy out. I can only surmise that for the couple of years prior to our ownership that the car was only getting the occasional short drive around town by the parents of the former owner - he was living in Europe for a while and M&D were storing the car.

With our long trips - Canberra and back, numerous 90km (highway) return trips to Wollongong and other trips to Sydney etc the reported fuel economy has dropped to 6.2>6.4 l/100km. Much better. The responsiveness of the engine has also seemed to improve.

Perhaps with the short runs it had been receiving the cat convertor was getting a bit claggy and the long runs have burned the crap off and everything is flowing better?

Anyway, we're happier. BTW - we've now ticked past the 42,000km mark.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Thread Information