C5 X7 Battery Replacement
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: C5 X7 Battery Replacement

Default C5 X7 Battery Replacement

The battery on C5 X7 Tourer is getting a bit tired and is in need of replacement before it goes.
    Its the V6 HDi with an AGM battery. its a costly battery so want a good brand that will last.

Can anyone recommend any specific brand of battery, type: DIN85LH AGM
    or any experience on specific battery brands.

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

The best all-round deal I've had for an AGM to suit the C5 HDI was a Century. It came from a rural supplies place (tractors etc, hardware, power tools), and was cheaper than my usual auto supplier.
    dmccurtayne likes this.

As has been mentioned in previous threads, I have used Varta in the last 4 replacements because that is what was OEM and they all lasted 7 years.

Having said that, 2 things. One, the latest was for a 2.0 HDi, not a V6. Two, the nice man at Battery World explained that batteries always last longer when the car is new.

BW site points to the Century on that configuration, which would seem to back up Seasick.

1000+ Posts

You might want to consider an Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) battery. Basically it is a lead/acid battery but without a liquid electrolyte. I fitted one (brand: "Full River") in my 4CVG which, as modified, had an awkwardly shaped place in which to put a battery. An AGM battery can be fitted any old way up (on its end in my case).

Although motivated by fitment flexibility, I have become a convert to AGM batteries. Why?

One merit of these batteries is an initial amperage overboost for some seconds upon start up. So, a nominal 500CCA battery operates at 900A initially. I suggest that, especially for classics which are not daily drivers & which are possibly cranky starters, this is a merit. Another merit is that the batteries seem to hold charge well in spasmodic use. Suffice it to say that, based upon my favourable impression of the one in the 4CVG, I have now one in my R8 & one in my Djet (each a "Full River"). As each other vehicle in the fleet comes up for battery replacement, it will convert to AGM.

cheers! Peter
    CC1701 likes this.

Did you read anything above 🤦

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
    Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
    Fix it right the first time

Thanks all for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by dmccurtayne View Post
    Did you read anything above ��
    Did I miss something?

_______

Peter .... thanks for the rundown on AGM batteries; they are great batteries for all the reasons you've described.
    They can also be installed at any angle and don't spill, great in boats too.

_______

An AGM battery is specified for all V6 cars as the battery is inside the passenger compartment [load area of the tourer, boot of the sedan] variant. AGM's have no toxic fumes, thus are safe in this application.

However, are quite costly, >$450 to suit this car.

So far my options seem limited, here, Century do one in this spec.
    But I can't seem to find any others, Varta, etc. who do one.

Was wondering what other owners have done. Is Century the only option here for this car.

Fellow Frogger!

I was thinking about an Exide SSAGM 66EU next time. I think(?) it fits. Quote about 6 months ago was $289 fitted.
    The Century DIN85LHMF AGM battery is 353mm long but the battery cradle in our car appears to be only about 278mm long.
    Last edited by turnbull151; 20th March 2019 at 03:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by turnbull151 View Post
    I was thinking about an Exide SSAGM 66EU next time. I think(?) it fits..........DIN85LHMF AGM battery is 353mm long but the battery cradle in our car appears to be only about 278mm long.
    Thanks for the idea. I checked the specs, the Exide one doesn't quite have the CCA or Rated Current of the DIN85 :-(
    Will probably have to go with the Century one, as its the only one available in the factory specs.
    Shame, it was a much more attractive price.
    Appreciate the suggestion.

1000+ Posts

Did you read anything above ��

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
    Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
    If that sledge is aimed at me then it bewilders me and some explanation is in order.

Oh, and the answer is 'yes'.
    dmccurtayne likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by CC1701 View Post
    I checked the specs, the Exide one doesn't quite have the CCA or Rated Current of the DIN85 :-(
    Will probably have to go with the Century one, as its the only one available in the factory specs.
    The Exide one is very close in physical size to the factory fitted one in our car. As indicated, the Century one is too long to fit in our car (despite Century Battery Finder suggesting it for our car). Have you checked battery compartment physical dimensions for your car?
    What were the factory specs for your car?
    Last edited by turnbull151; 21st March 2019 at 09:05 AM.

I donít know why that is there that was supposed to be in a thread about starters but anyway meh

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE

The Exide one is very close in physical size to the factory fitted one in our car. ...... Have you checked battery compartment physical dimensions for your car?
    What were the factory specs for your car?
    great suggestion. will pull the cover off and check.

factory spec is for a din85 agm. elsewhere in the world there are several battery options in this size/spec. but here i can't find anything other than a century.
    din85 calls for cca >850 and rc 160, ah >90

is your car an i4 or v6? am guessing the i4s can cope with less amps.

i imagine the v6 hdi needs a lot of start-up current in cold (euro) climates, thus the high requirements of the battery.
    lower specs would probably ok work here but, experience teaches that in modern cars replacements parts need to be equivalent spec as the original.
    someone here, on the forum, says "Fix it right the first time". Hard to disagree with the economics of that.

1000+ Posts

2.0L HDI engines in C5s come from the factory with EFBs (extended flooded batteries), not AGMs. In my case the factory used a French Exide, not available here except through dealers (with a Citroen paper label instead of Exide).

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    French Exide, not available here except through dealers (with a Citroen paper label instead of Exide).
    And a 'Dealer' price tag stuck over it too, no doubt :-)

I might ring a deal and ask for a price for a din85 anyway, just for interest.
    will report back

You shouldnít buy a battery from a dealer they donít do enough volume to have good fresh stock or a competitive cost.

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE

1000+ Posts

So, why not "Full River" as a brand?
    Likely to be cheaper thanthe "name" brands & certainly grunty & compact.

You shouldn’t buy a battery from a dealer they don’t do enough volume to have good fresh stock or a competitive cost.
    good tip. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 4cvg View Post
    So, why not "Full River" as a brand?
    Likely to be cheaper thanthe "name" brands & certainly grunty & compact.
    I just recently installed an electrical system on my boat, and had the option of fitting any battery on the market.
    After reading far too many user reviews on solar/marine/RV sites it became obvious that the full river the the premium choice for those wanting an AGM battery that had the grunt (Ah) it was advertised to have , and actually lasted up to and sometimes beyond a decade.
    A good indication of the BS that surrounds the cranking hours (real vs advertised) of some of the batteries in the market, is the weight of the battery.

The full river was not cheap by any stretch, but if it lasts 3 years longer than the competition, the initial outlay will be well worth it.

Jo

thanks peter & jo,
    still looking into th "Full River" option.
    waiting to hear back if they have a DIN85 version

con
    Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Dijon16 View Post
    .... the nice man at Battery World explained that batteries always last longer when the car is new.

Not in my case - the new only lasted 4 years while a local replacement lasted 8 years....

con...

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by CC1701 View Post
    great suggestion. will pull the cover off and check.
    factory spec is for a din85 agm.
    is your car an i4 or v6? i imagine the v6 hdi needs a lot of start-up current in cold (euro) climates, thus the high requirements of the battery.
    Did you measure to see if the DIN85 would fit the case in your car?
    While having a couple of punctures repaired this morning, I had them look at the battery. They confirmed their Century DIN85 AGM would not fit the case in our 3.0 HDI C5. They suggested DIN85 might have been necessary for the higher model with stop start (not sold here in Australia). He thinks a DIN65LH might be suitable for our car but, as he does not have a diag tool, he wouldn't want to fit one.

Is it crucial to have a diag tool, or to maintain power, while replacing battery? Seem to recall reading in another thread of someone having problems after they changed a battery?

Did you measure to see if the DIN85 would fit the case in your car?
    While having a couple of punctures repaired this morning, I had them look at the battery. They confirmed their Century DIN85 AGM would not fit the case in our 3.0 HDI C5. They suggested DIN85 might have been necessary for the higher model with stop start (not sold here in Australia). He thinks a DIN65LH might be suitable for our car but, as he does not have a diag tool, he wouldn't want to fit one.
    Is it crucial to have a diag tool, or to maintain power, while replacing battery
    Am still waiting for 'Full River' to get back to me. Was busy last week. Will have to get back to the battery this week, thanks for reminding me.

Yours is a sedan, isn't it?

Our Tourer has the DIN85LH AGM that's specified. — WRONG

The DIN85 has a lot of CCA (cold crank amps) probably necessary in europe and other cold climates. CCA may not be so important here. That said, I'll fit a DIN85 because that was what was specified, so its the correct size to fit in the cradle and in AU climates there will be a reserve of power, so the battery will be unstressed and hopefully last longer.

Yes, its necessary to either have the diag tool or to maintain the power when changing the battery.
    Just so the car keeps all its setting and parameters remembered. There are the jump starter terminals under the bonnet can be used to connect a 12v power source during battery change. The power source will keep CMOS type memory alive, so it doesn't need a lot of current. Am not sure what the car will remember or forget when the power is disconnected. It's mentioned in the service manual so, clearly at least some of the computers need power, or they forget. But i'm not sure which setting those are. — WRONG

With the diag tool, i assume it'd be necessary to save all the settings to a file first then reload them once the battery is put back in. — WRONG
    Seems like a lot of hassle compared to keeping the circuits alive with an external power source.
    Most places i spoke to know how to do this.

So far, the only DIN85LH AGM i can find here is the Century battery at about $450! — AT LEAST THIS IS CORRECT, BUT NOT THE BATTERY FOR THE CAR :-(
    Last edited by CC1701; 1st April 2019 at 12:56 PM.

No if you follow the battery disconnection procedure you only need to reset the clock donít over egg the pudding if you put a jump battery on that point and it earths you will stuff that big fuse in the lead

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
    CC1701 likes this.

1000+ Posts

Hi turnbull 151
    I assisted my sister when she had her Polo battery replaced recently by the NRMA. The service man would not come until he had the requisite service tool. When he removed and replaced the battery he had a small jump starter and leads connected to continue the power supply as is normal practice.
    But then he got his scanner/tool and then programmed the car to 'accept' the new battery ?????? He said it was to inform it of the actual capacity of the new battery !!! Identical battery to the one removed but I think he scanned the barcode on the battery with the tool. ??

Seems like BS to me but that's new cars all round now. Designed to save a thimble of fuel here and there and siphon off lots of gold from the owners pocket ! I think I will buy some '80-90s cars again.
    Jaahn

Itís BS I will message you re Delphi

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information