• Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rodh

Thread: 2CV Steering

Tadpole

Default 2CV Steering

Hi All,
    I was getting to know my 2CV, greasing the kingpins and I noticed that there was some wobble in the left front wheel which was jacked up at the time. So I did some more wiggling and pushing and peering into its private parts and saw that when I wiggled the road wheel the track-rod was moving appropriately, the outer ball joint was tight and the steering was still. So the rod was moving without that motion being transferred to the steering column. The conclusion is that there is wear and play on the inner ball joints at the rack or something else to do with the steering hidden in the axle tube. There is no such play on the other side. After noting this I now see that the wheels when viewed from the front are slightly askew, but a shove with my foot on the offending wheel brings it back to parallel.
    I did some research and found out that repairing the inner ball joints/pins means removing the front axle-a big job! Way beyond my limited skills and "facilities".
    So is this something that needs urgent attention? Or will it happily plod on like this with maybe some extra tyre wear as the only real issue?
    And do you have any suggestions/recommendations on who in Melbourne can do the repair, if necessary?
    Rod

Advertisement

Tadpole

Hello. A conundrum that might be solved by asking the question, will you be happy if the steering fails in some way or other and you crash. You might run off the road or across the road risking a head on. A bit dramatic to think like this for sure, but ask the question. I have decided to have my steering rack and system overhauled even though it appears to be working ok and doesn’t have any noticeable play. My car is 1984 built so 35 yrs old and 100,000 miles. I hopefully will have 2CViking do this work for me.
    Play safe and have fun, Alan

Is your 2CV registered? If not, you probably will have trouble getting it to pass a mechanical inspection with play in the steering.

Ken

Tadpole

The car is registered and obtained a roadworthy cert. in July last year. I'm not sure if the steering was like this then. I'm keen to have it overhauled but I'd like to find someone who is familiar with the job. Alpine Affair who do French cars and are close by will have a look, I'm sure - they fixed a wheel bearing and said they would service it, even though they don't really "know" Citroens. But pulling out the axle and doing the steering overhaul? Could prove to be really expensive and lengthy.

There is the famous David Gries in Melbourne. Ask around!

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs

Tadpole

I've emailed David, no response as yet. I'll see if someone at CCCV can tell me how best to contact him.

Fellow Frogger!

You can also contact Peter Fosselius who is a 2CV mechanic and he is due back in Australia in about 4 weeks. he provides a mobile 2CV repair service and I can personally recommend his work. They have a website and email contacts or look on FB on 2CV Australia.
    He will book you in for his time in Melbourne but you need to tee this up so that he has parts ready. Ted Cross refer peterattwocvikingdoteu

Tadpole

Great info, Ted. Thanks

You can easily do it yourself to find out whatís wrong. Take you half hour Jack the car up and put it on a stand, take the wheel off, remove the split pin on the castle but on the axle end, you can actually slide the drive shaft out, compressing the spline in. Then undo the bolts on the gearbox end and itís out. Is the wheel bearing ok and the pre load correct? Otherwise you will get that movement If itís a kingpin you will see it by levering under the wheel when jacked

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs

Tadpole

Thanks for the info, Bruce. On the weekend I jacked up the car and investigated some more. I am more convinced now that the play/wobble in the wheel is from the kingpin. I have contacted Peter/2CViking and I am on his list for his upcoming across Australia 2CV repair trip.
    Simmo1 likes this.

Thread Information