What Should I Pay For This DS21?
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By forumnoreason

Thread: What Should I Pay For This DS21?

Tadpole

Default What Should I Pay For This DS21?

Hi guys, new to the forum and French cars in general. I found the forum through a comment on another blog and I thought yíall might be able to lend me some guidance on a car Iím looking to buy.

Advertisement

I should probably point out that Iím not actually from Australia, both the car and myself are right smack dab in the center of the United States. I know that restoring this car would be a big project and would require shipping in parts from overseas, but Iím willing to do that to see that this car wonít be yet another classic lost to neglect.

So, as best I can figure it is a 1964-66 DS21 Pallas, and I think it is a USDM car and not a later import. I havenít spoken to the owner in person yet as I live about an hour and a half away from where it sits, but a friend has talked to the owner and knows that the guy is ready to sell. Story is that the car was his brothers, when his brother passed it was still unrestored and he was stuck with it. He put it in a barn for a few years, but last winter the roof of the barn collapsed and it had to be torn down. Luckily, the Citroen survived but now it has no place to be stored that wonít subject it to the elements.

I wanted to find out about what I should expect to pay for the car, assuming it needs a full restoration? Also, does anybody know for sure which year it is and can yíall confirm that it is an actual Pallas? Pictures attached for your reference.

Thanks in advance for your help. There arenít a lot of resources out there for us Citroen enthusiasts in the United States, or in the English language in general, so I was very relieved to find this place. You guys seem like a great community.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

You need someone to check the car for you. Its sitting in long grass. Its belly/hull could be completely rotten (ie: its a basket case ... possibly a good parts car). I wouldn't pay a single cent more than its value as a parts car unless you can verify it isn't rotten.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

You might try this North America Citroen website.
    https://citroenvie.com/
    They might be better able to help you out.
    Cheers Andrew

Thank God for my Hydroen harrisson_citroen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The DS From KS View Post

I should probably point out that Iím not actually from Australia
    Welcome DSKS. I sort of knew you weren't from Australia when you said "y'all"!
    Underbelly rust is the death of DS's. Check, check.check.

You'll find heaps of help here. Not sure about being able to to give you a price guide in the US though. Locals probably know better.
    Last edited by harrisson_citroen; 13th March 2019 at 06:34 PM.
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

Fellow Frogger!

I agree with everything so far said here about rust. Ds are particularly prone to serious rusting in spots that you can't immediately see - for example the gutter that the roof is bolted to, and the sill of the car under all the carpet and shiny trim. These days just about anything is repairable, but you need to have bottomless pockets.

In terms of what that car is:very difficult to tell. The door handles suggest pre (71?) and the nose and headlights suggest pre-68. Assuming it's not been pulled together with bits from several other cars, then the sloping dash indicates it's a DS and not an ID and not later than 1969. I don't think 'Pallas' spec was introduced late 1964 for the 1965 model year cars. The side trim strips and quarter panels on the 'C' posts are also Pallas features but the trim strips, in particular, are easy to add to a non-Pallas car. Overall it could be a Pallas from the 65 to 67 model years.
    1968 DS21bvh Pallas in Gris Palladium

Restoration blog: https://ds-restoration.blogspot.co.uk

Pallas spec was introduced during 1964 -------- I had one in Gris Palladium!
    Cheers Gerry

Sloping dash pre 68? Looks great and a desirable model but what the hell is going on with that back wheel arch and obviously you need to have a thorough inspection for rust underneath /hull /sills / boot ( sorry trunk!) floor etc etc
    '04 Megane
    Gone but not forgotten
    '71 16 TS, '72 16 TL, '74 15TS,'82 20TS Series 2, '85 25 GTX. '49 L15,

Fellow Frogger!

Looks like some object against the wheel arch. Probably fine behind it.
    Would certainly be an LHS car. American Dees were on LHS a little later than the French .... I think. If it is a Hydraulic Gear Change model; the hydraulic components would not be good.
    I don't imagine that word ever got over there to use Canola Oil. That would have finished it off ... good and proper!

1000+ Posts

It's a block of (fire) wood hiding the rear wheel arch - certainly piques the curiosity!

whoever left it out there needs to go into the room of mirrors and take a bloody long hard look at themselves!

Fellow Frogger! citroenthusiast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by forumnoreason View Post
    whoever left it out there needs to go into the room of mirrors and take a bloody long hard look at themselves!
    When Citroen pulled out of the US market in 1974 the dealer network dried up except for a few service dealerships near the two coasts. This was before the internet, so there wasn't a lot of information available to the average mechanic or parts readily available to keep the cars running. If you lived in the middle of the country and had even a minor mechanical failure, the cost of repair often exceeded the value of the car. That is why you find so many abandoned Citroens from the 60s and 70s in the US......
    Cheers,
    John T.

54 11BL; 61DS19 LHM (son's); 71DS21 BVH; 73SM 3.0; 73SM 2.7EFI; 73SM 3.0 (other son's); 74 Maserati Merak

Thread Information