DS21 Third Dash Temperature Guage
  • Register
  • Help

Default DS21 Third Dash Temperature Guage

Hi all,
    My factory temp gauge is reading at the top of the white section when the temp is normal - it's always done this and seems to be a problem with these third dash temp gauges. (a few other people I'd talked to in the past had the same issue) - I'd just forgotten to do anything about it when I refurbished the gauge cluster.
    Rather than just bend the arm down a little IIRC I thought someone had inserted a resistor? in the supply wire to fix the problem - trouble is I can't remember what resistance it should be?
    Can anyone help?
    Many thanks in advance,
    Mark

Advertisement

Hi Mark,

You are probably going to have to experiment anyway. I would try a wire wound adjustable potentiometer of about 200 ohms and hook it up between the centre and side terminals, adjust it so the gauge reads better, then measure the resistance and replace it with a suitable fixed resistor.

Cheers, Ken

Fellow Frogger

Is there a resistance chart for the sender? That may tell you how much you need to shift it to move the needle to where you want it. A trimpot is a good idea. Or you can measure the resistance at different temperatures to see if the sender matches specs, or if there are no specs, then to learn what the resistance change is for full range.

Tadpole

Hi Mark,

I have a binacle with temp gauge in kilometres and one in miles, both in good working order.

Hello, I know it is crude and not what you wish to do, but I would just tweak the needle. Or just leave it alone. As long as you know where 'normal temperature' is, its absolute position doesn't really matter.
    I did the same with the fuel gauge. I drained the tank, added 5 litres fuel, then tweaked the needle to read empty.

Hi all,
    Apologies for the late response to this thread - thank you to you all for your responses.
    I really like the trimpot idea! Would I simply just put it in series in the wire from the sender?
    Kind regards,
    Mark

Mark, have you checked the actual normal running temperature by other means? Maybe it really is running hotter than it should.

Roger

Hi Roger
    Good point - I used an infra red reading gun on the thermostat housing - running at 80 something degrees.
    Kind regards,
    Mark

Thread Information