DS21 Alternator Light
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By faulksy

Thread: DS21 Alternator Light

Default DS21 Alternator Light

Hi all,
    I've lost my alternator light - IIRC there was a way of checking it by either grounding or applying current to one of the leads on the alternator?
    I'd like to know if it's just the globe or something else.
    I still have 14.6 volts when running so it's charging OK.
    Many thanks!
    Mark

Advertisement

Hello, assuming you have the external regulator (standard set up), if you undo the red wire attached to terminal L of the regulator box and connect the red wire to battery positive, the light should come on.
    On the three dial dash, the bulb holders can be temperamental in their connection and sometimes need a wiggle to get them to work properly.

The voltage regulator provides the ground for the lamp not 12V. On a BVH it also provides the ground for the starter switch on the gear selector. When current is applied to the R terminal it trips a relay turning off the lamp and disables the starter switch to stop you from inadvertently engaging the starter with the engine running. This may sound silly but have you checked for a blown fuse? A blown fuse for either the warning lamp cluster or the reverse lights will potentially knock it out. Depending on model and year the BOB (short for bobine or coil) terminal of the regulator gets 12V through the same fuse as the reverse lamps and rear screen heater not from the coil as you might think.

Easiest way to test is to disconnect the L wire from the regulator and connect it to ground with the ignition on. This should turn on the warning lamp, if not then there is a problem with the wire to the lamp. If it does, then you have a problem with the voltage regulator.
    forumnoreason likes this.

Hello, thanks faulksy, I'm a silly boy getting it back to front. I ditched all that external regulator malarkey years ago, my brain went with it.

Many thanks for the replies gents - I'll report back once I get a chance to get back to the car.
    Kind regards,
    Mark

Thread Information