C5 Front Fender Removal
  • Register
  • Help

Default C5 Front Fender Removal

Have the opportunity of pickling up a LF fender to replace the damaged one on our C5 (2004) that was there on acquisition. The damaged one is not that bad but it annoys me being there, hence the opportunity to replace it.

Question, how does one remove one without damaging it.

Has somebody actually removed one. All bolts are off but it will not budge.

Is there are a chemical liquid to spray on to the "glue" to soften it. It is glued horizontally at the top and vertically down the "A" pillar.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

John

PS Searched posts with no success.

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by JAJEA View Post

Is there are a chemical liquid to spray on to the "glue" to soften it. It is glued horizontally at the top and vertically down the "A" pillar.
    I have seen it done (carefully) with a very hot paint removal gun and a large flat paint scraper.

Fellow Frogger!

When we were having a minor repair on the rear side panel of our C5 done recently, I asked whether they pop it off to paint it. They said it was 'welded' on and only removed for very major damage. Perhaps they meant it was glued? Not sure if it is the same for front fender?
    Last edited by turnbull151; 7th March 2019 at 10:17 AM.

Yeah they're bonded on. Takes a good hour to get a c5 gaurd off. Whilst c4 5 minutes. Basically need a sharp blade and a lot of persistence

Sent from my SM-G930F using aussiefrogs mobile app
    406 D8 V6 manual

Thanks Dijon and Turnbull for your response, I had to tackle it on Wednesday and boy do I mean tackle it!

I could not have done it had it not been a donor C5; that is, one that is scheduled to be crushed and exported to China (most likely - they are the smart ones using ready made steel and we have to get ours out of the ground!)

One major problem is that until the fender is off you don't know how it is fixed!

There are 3 methods of fixing the fender to the body, 6 mm screws, a cured sealer that undoubtedly has bonding properties and a uncured adhesive that would soften up with heat, but then you would need to know just where each is notwithstanding that at a wreckers yard no access to a electric heat gun.

Sorry but unable to attach photos,

If you or anybody else is interested, PM me and I'll email photos including details of tools made up / used for the task.

Regards,

John

Thread Information