Xantia Panel Light Quiz
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By JBN

Thread: Xantia Panel Light Quiz

JBN

Default Xantia Panel Light Quiz

Can anyone tell me what the top right-hand warning light is on a 1995 Xantia automatic? It has been flickering when I start the car but then goes away. Tonight it flickered as I was driving and now the car is fluckt.Xantia Panel Lights.jpg

Advertisement

John

From memory, hydraulic fluid level?
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

2018 C3 Shine ("Oscar" Mrs P's)
    1974 D Special Manual Sedan ("Moby Dick")
    2006 C5 HDI Wagon Auto ("Mephistopheles")
    1982 2CV6 ("Gaston") On the road! (Woohoo!)
    1957 Slough 2CV ("Alphonse") Waiting in the wings
    1975 GS Pallas ("GiSelle") Also waiting in the wings
    And for Fun, 1968 Mini Deluxe ("The R & D'luxe" 1078cc, Grin Factor 100!)

1000+ Posts

Now you've got us puzzled - I thought the Xantia had died and gone to Citroen heaven, replaced by a Camry?

BTW - thought you might enjoy this Xantia review - the reviewer lets it slip that he/she prefers the V6 Camry https://www.drive.com.au/used-car-re...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Top Rh in the left hand group (as per picture)? Oil level. If your dipstick is like mine (plastic knob has crumbled off the steel 'stick'), then you may be pushing it in too far, giving you a false sense of security re. the actual oil level.

Cheers

Alec
    Last edited by Armidillo; 3rd March 2019 at 01:42 PM.

Default Xantia Panel Light Quiz

Thatís oil level and only should be triggered when ignition is switched on you may have a power problem like a stuffed ignition switch common

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
    Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
    Fix it right the first time

JBN

Basically the original Xantia has NOT gone to heaven. I purchased another one very cheap. It has a good donor engine and a younger ZF gearbox. The instruments are "interesting". The oil light in question comes on for quite a while. I added more oil, but it must have had a recent oil change as it was hard to discern exactly where the oil was on the dipstick. I was thinking of adding some old sump oil as that is easier to spot. The fuel gauge was showing about 1/3 of a tank remaining, but the engine wouldn't start until I put in 5 litres. The speedo is sluggish but goes to 70 kph very quickly, regardless of what speed I am doing. This is very scary in 40 kph zones. The speedo is wrong because in school zones doing exactly the same speed as other cars, it still shows 70 kph.

Anyhow, I will drive it around a bit and then take it to Jason to swap. I will ask him if it is worthwhile changing the auto transmission oil and changing the engine oil/filter before swapping the engines, as I am more confident setting the benchmark straight away with the right filter/oils/levels.

I like the Xantia and find it a much more nimble car with a better steering than the Camry. I miss the VSX ride (this new one is an SX) but that will return after the engine swap. The instrumentation and brakes are better on my old Xantia. This new one with the "silly spring" is almost as spongy as the Camry. The old Xantia had a length of conduit replacing the silly spring so the brakes were either on or off - no maybe, I'm thinking about it. And the old Xantia's instrumentation worked accurately - I have plenty of written evidence of how accurate the speedo was from speed cameras and the police.

I will take some time before committing to the engine swap. The old car is with Jason. If I decide not to proceed, the scrap metal value is the same as the flat bed cost to his place so nothing lost. If this new one doesn't work out, I can scrap it and only be $100 out of pocket.

I have been in this situation many times. Usually its when I am looking a young lady's bum as she walks past, only to be brought to reality as my wife asks "you eating out or do you expect me to cook you dinner?".

John
    Armidillo, COL and David S like this.

the top right warnig light symbol (orange one) is your coolant. Below that is oil. Mine flashes on start up but its full and doesn't go over 90c and I'm not sure what is triggering it, it didn't flash for most of thhe time I've had it.

Sent from my iPad using aussiefrogs

Fellow Frogger

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    ... The fuel gauge was showing about 1/3 of a tank remaining, but the engine wouldn't start until I put in 5 litres. ...
    Mine was a little like that. It wold hand around half for ages and then rapidly drop after that. Likely a faulty rheostat winding on a small board clipped onto the in-tank unit. Also, if you park them on a hill or on a slope with the LHS low and not much fuel in the tank, the pickup (under right rear seat) can be out of the fuel. A bit of a gotcha to be aware of.

Thread Information