• Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Winkbul45
  • 1 Post By citroenthusiast

Thread: Help with import of 2cv

Tadpole

Default Help with import of 2cv

Hello out there.
    I recently joined this forum, because I have the dream of getting a 2cv to Perth from Denmark Eu. Currently its sitting in a shed next to my parents back in Denmark. I have figured that I need all the import papers and so on. I am trying to budget what it will cost to actually get it on the road. The 2cv is in a good condition, but as far as I understand, some things need to be changed to register them here, I heard rumours side intrusion isent needed in WA... It is all a bit confusing and I am wondering if anyone has done it in WA recently and would know how to do it?
    Hope someone is able to point me in the right direction.
    I know I could properly do it cheaper getting one already here, but would love to have a left hand drive one😁😁.
    Thank you
    Jimm

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Heacon View Post
    Hello out there.
    I recently joined this forum, because I have the dream of getting a 2cv to Perth from Denmark Eu. Currently its sitting in a shed next to my parents back in Denmark. I have figured that I need all the import papers and so on. I am trying to budget what it will cost to actually get it on the road. The 2cv is in a good condition, but as far as I understand, some things need to be changed to register them here, I heard rumours side intrusion isent needed in WA... It is all a bit confusing and I am wondering if anyone has done it in WA recently and would know how to do it?
    Hope someone is able to point me in the right direction.
    I know I could properly do it cheaper getting one already here, but would love to have a left hand drive one.
    Thank you
    Jimm
    Hi Jim,
    I imported a 2CV into Perth 4 years ago from England. If you email me on:[email protected] and I will send you the information you need.
    Herman (Albany)
    COL likes this.

Fellow Frogger! citroenthusiast's Avatar

You should be aware of the asbestos issue: Importing or exporting a car? then you better read this....
    David S likes this.
    Cheers,
    John T.

54 11BL; 61DS19 LHM (son's); 71DS21 BVH; 73SM 3.0; 73SM 2.7EFI; 73SM 3.0 (other son's); 74 Maserati Merak

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Jim,
    use an agent in Australia to make it smoother. I don't think you will need to modify it to use here, but others may know more about it. It will need an asbestos inspection before it is allowed in. Usual areas of concern will be brake pads and exhaust gaskets. If you have or will replace them with modern ones and can maybe show some receipts, then it should get in ok.

BIG TIP - it will be thoroughly inspected for dirt and vegetable matter, mould and animal residue. Get it thoroughly cleaned before shipping. it will not prevent entry here, but will cost you another $500 or more if they have to do the cleaning here. Vegetable matter means any seeds or grass fibres in radiators, air vents, mats and upholstery. Also rat or mice droppings. Also dirt in the chassis rails.

Should otherwise all be a fairly simple process.

regards, Erik

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by citroenthusiast View Post
    You should be aware of the asbestos issue: Importing or exporting a car? then you better read this....
    My memory is old but there were some Australian design Rules requirements required before registration ( a different matter from just importing the thing I know ).

Three come to mind.

There was a requirement for head restraints to be fitted to at least the front seats. There was requirements about seat belt anchorages and specifically mounting points for the rear passengers as the panelwork was considered not adequate for the likely stress loadings. There was a requirement that the heater/demister had to be fan boosted ... easily done as a boat bilge vent fan was just fitted in line with the ducts.

I am sure others with more recent knowledge will oblige.

Fellow Frogger!

Different in WA.

JBN

I have been confronted with steering column not being collapsible (but argued since the bottom of the column is between your feet and its angle is more vertical rather than horizontal, what particular problem did the inspector envisage?). He agreed that it was OK.

Side intrusion bars. We both agreed there was no room inside the door. He then said that we should have an external plate, bolted onto the front door hinge and front door lock. After that brilliant idea, he then suggested doing the same to the rear doors before being confronted by the sliding hinge, to which he suggest the removal of the frame to accommodate rear lap/sash seat belts and instead remove the rear seat, seat belts and frame and classify the car as a two seater coupe.

He was a Canberra based engineer who probably had a degree in political science, but after all the millions of 2CVs that were produced (not one being a coupe) I declined to proceed with his suggestions.

I imported two 2CVs in 1994 from the UK and had no problem in having them registered in NSW in the old days when the RTA (or its predecessor) did their own inspections at the Motor Registry. Outsourcing often results in duck shoving a problem to self professed experts.

If all else fails, try getting historic registration.

John

Fellow Frogger!

I imported a 2CV in 2016. No problems.

Have done it many times, never any problem, always used cargo online
    Side intrusion bars are easy and do fit inside the door skin, you just need to be creative, the biggest hassle is getting a good switch for the 2 speed wipers
    Make and fit a rear bar for the rear belts, and a reversing light, job done, in Queensland anyway

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs

Fellow Frogger!

Intrusion bars and two speed wipers are not required in WA

Thread Information