Default Towing with a c5 x7

Just purchased a big tilt car trailer to move the deaden's
    Now to find something to tow it without ripping its gutts out
    C5 wagon x7 2.7 oiler or cx safari with its delicate zf auto
    Or the jeep with its prodigious power ?
    750kg plus 1500kg load maybe 2500kg all up🤔

Sent from my F8131 using aussiefrogs mobile app

Advertisement
    BX 16v 89, I Renault Floride 62, Volvo P1800 68, Aston Martin DB6 68, Daimler 250V8 68, Jaguar XJC 76, Falcon Ute XL 62, Falcon Ute XY 4WD, Jeep Grand Larado 03, Mazda 6 Wagon 05, inter 483 tractor 86, makita cordless drill CX TURBO its dented D Special 1 62 ID192000 Xantia V6 2000 Cadillac STS stolen by the princess,KANGA 720DL LOADER

1000+ Posts

A jeep you say? I dunno - might be OK as long as you are not in a hurry - should have plenty of low gears.
    Jeep.jpg

IMG_8891.jpg by Alec Watt, on Flickr

You could probably borrow any one of these for 11 months of the year - just give it back for ANZAC Day.
    Last edited by Armidillo; 25th February 2019 at 01:28 AM.
    CXVingtCinq likes this.

Well it is a grand larado that we use for the horses but driving it makes me seasick and it has its own job to do and I keep thinking of all those old French photos of Citroen load carriers humping other dead Citroens , but I don't know if they have the equivalent of greenmount hill that we have in wa in France . It often does in the trans Australia freight guys
    BX 16v 89, I Renault Floride 62, Volvo P1800 68, Aston Martin DB6 68, Daimler 250V8 68, Jaguar XJC 76, Falcon Ute XL 62, Falcon Ute XY 4WD, Jeep Grand Larado 03, Mazda 6 Wagon 05, inter 483 tractor 86, makita cordless drill CX TURBO its dented D Special 1 62 ID192000 Xantia V6 2000 Cadillac STS stolen by the princess,KANGA 720DL LOADER

Can't say for the CX but for the C5 X7, that's a negative.

I want to fit a towbar to mine, and having to adjust to how little it can tow. The towing capacity is about 1500kg (you'll have to check exact amount) and the towball download 57kg, or 75kg.

That will allow you to tow a single-axle, approx 5-metre european caravan, a box trailer, a camper trailer but not a laden car trailer (unladen -- if the TBM is not exceeded -- go for it).

The total braked towing capacity is not bad, it's the pathetic towball download. Remember that the maximum towing capacity is the maximum of the lowest-rated towing component -- eg even if Citroen says max TBM is 75kg (or whatever it is) for C5 X7, but the towbar fitted is rated at 57kg TBM, you have 57kg TBM. That's what I am working through at the moment, whether I go for a box-hitch (40mm x 40mm) Hayman -Reese with 57kg TBM (but more versatile box hitch) or one of a million European swan-neck towbars (some with higher TBM than 57kg, but more expensive and with a less versatile swan neck hitch).

You own or owned a Cadillac Seville? I had a brief flirtation with a 2003 Seville STS. Loved it but nearly sent me broke!

1000+ Posts

I know of a C5 (not mine) that frequently pulls a very large box trailer with raised sides holding a couple of tons of firewood. A bit of a delicate act, but it pulls the load easily.

Get an old Rangie 3500kg easy on Historic plates for occasional use

The C5X7 is a bit of a waste of time on the towing front. The towball weight rating is anywhere from 40 to 72kg depending on what engine and transmission and what year it was manufactured. You will have to check for your model combination in the owners manual. It is usually 5% of the towing with trailer brakes rating.

The earlier C5 had a 75kg towball weight rating and the Xantias had an 85kg rating. I've given up any hope of legally towing anything more than a box trailer or a dingy on mine.

So I have bought a Motorhome that has a 2.5t towing rating and 90kg ball weight rating I think.

Cheers, Ken

Surely it's a no brainer.
    Why waste a Citroen when there's a disposable Jeep that will do that job. Take some anti sea sick tablets before you have to drive it. Wear a disguise if you have to so that no one recognises you in a jeep.

Cheers,

Farmpug
    UFO, jaahn and CXVingtCinq like this.

UFO

Your expectations to tow that load with a C5 X7 are unrealistic. You'll kill the car.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

The CX's auto certainly isn't fragile. Having said that. I would use the CX every single time if I was in trouble. HOWEVER. DO NOT DO IT.

Forget the plastic fantastic. The C5 is pathetic and has no tow capacity.

You have to understand what you are asking of the tow barge. Your average chequerplate aussie car trailer with ramps, winch and spare fitted will weigh at least 1.2 ton. possibly even 1.5tons .... Time to visit a weigh bridge.

Lets take the empty trailer weight as 1.5tons (as it probably is so close to that, it doesn't matter). This is already outside the tow capacity of your cars.

I just googled this sucker, and it may not be man enough for the job either. The tow capacity is as weeny as 2265kg if its a 4litre auto.

Now we get to the reason why the majority of trailer hire places no longer have car trailers. Lets be generous and say the trailer weighs 1.2tons .... You now have a really useful load capacity of 800kgs. As pretty much every trailer is complianced as 2tons. So you can carry a 2cv ........ and that is about it.

Now if you have really spent some $$$ on a trailer. You have spec'd it out to 3tons. This means it has 4 wheel break away brakes fitted. You can now almost legally carry a Citroen CX on it (about 1.5tons rolling down the roads)....... But wait up a bit. What if the C5 breaks down ? Or say my wifes poogoe 407.

Those suckers are 1.7 tons empty. This is fine, the shiny shitbox here has a tow capacity of 4 tons. So now I have a big heavy trailer. it probably weighs over 1.5tons as its carrying capacity needs to be at least 2tons. I have now upgraded the hitch receiver on my car to a 4ton ball ( 80mm from memory) or a pintle hook. The trailer is a monstrous heavy bastard that meets all of the regulations for a 4ton rated beast.

So now I can legally move my wifes modern shitbox 407 .............. But wait .... what if I need to move a 4wd for someone. Now we have a car that weighs 3tons to put on the 1.5 ton trailer .... 4.5tons for the big heavy 4ton rated trailer. (BTW: same deal with your tractor. With no implements on it, my little Inter 434 is about 2tons ... add in water filled tires and any ballasts and your way to heavy for a car trailer).

Fun right? See why no-one rents car trailers any longer. They can't legally carry anything useful.

The answer is obvious, by a strong well built 2 ton rated car trailer.... a worthy tow barge and cross your fingers and hope like hell you never get pulled up with a car on the trailer. As your likely never going to be legal unless you invested huge $$$ into your tow setup (ie: basically medium rigid truck and trailer).

I use the shiny shitbox to tow anything that can be attached to it.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by DoubleChevron; 26th February 2019 at 01:17 PM.
    citroenut likes this.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by driven View Post
    Get an old Rangie 3500kg easy on Historic plates for occasional use
    They are rated at 4tons ..... And would be absolutely bloody terrifying towing that sort of weight!
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Just pay someone who has the right gear to come over and to do it. Don't mess about.
    Ceenine likes this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Just pay someone who has the right gear to come over and to do it. Don't mess about.
    Where is the fun in that
    jaahn likes this.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Choose your fun carefully....
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia