Xantia gearbox oil filler?
  • Register
  • Help

Default Xantia gearbox oil filler?

Hi all,

Where is the oil filler plug on a Xantia manual (petrol) gearbox?

I want to check the gearbox oil level but cannot see a filler/level plug anywhere.

Cheers,

Advertisement

farmpug

Model, engine?

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
    Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
    Fix it right the first time

Seeing I know you have a 2 litre 16 valve, it will be a BE5 gearbox. Look on the end cover and you will see to the rear a larger bolt holding it on - 19mm socket I think. That is the filler and level plug. If you have a leaky driveshaft seal, you will only get about 300ml of oil out of the drain plug, otherwise there should be close to 2 litres in there. If you don't remember giving it an oil change, then drain it all out and give it some new oil. I use a long tube to syphon the oil in from a container sitting on the battery down and into the filler hole on the end of the gearbox.

The filler/level port on the MLT5 gearbox is on the back of the diff housing and is not easy to access.

Cheers, Ken

Ah yes, some more information would be useful! My apologies.

It is a 2l 16 valve and as Ken reminds us it has the BE5 gearbox (I don't actually know this I'm just using Ken's information)

Thanks!

Cheers,

Farmpug

Quote Originally Posted by Ken W View Post
    Seeing I know you have a 2 litre 16 valve, it will be a BE5 gearbox. Look on the end cover and you will see to the rear a larger bolt holding it on - 19mm socket I think. That is the filler and level plug. If you have a leaky driveshaft seal, you will only get about 300ml of oil out of the drain plug, otherwise there should be close to 2 litres in there. If you don't remember giving it an oil change, then drain it all out and give it some new oil. I use a long tube to syphon the oil in from a container sitting on the battery down and into the filler hole on the end of the gearbox.

The filler/level port on the MLT5 gearbox is on the back of the diff housing and is not easy to access.

Cheers, Ken
    Last edited by Farmpug; 25th February 2019 at 01:02 PM.

Thread Information