Looking for BX 16 valve history, possible Bathurst car?
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Captain Slow
  • 1 Post By moulton2speed
  • 1 Post By michael16v
  • 2 Post By harrisson_citroen

Thread: Looking for BX 16 valve history, possible Bathurst car?

Fellow Frogger!

Default Looking for BX 16 valve history, possible Bathurst car?

Hello,

I've just come across this thread about a 16 valve BX sold on eBay in 2014

Flipping the EBay 16V BX

A lot of the information seems to line up between that car and my car, which I purchased from a chap in Melbourne in late 2017.

Advertisement

The "facts"

That car had a cracked subframe, as mine did when I bought it, shown in my recent thread.
    That car was red and had a sunroof, same as mine.
    That car had standard front bumper, as does mine (although car was supplied with correct one needing repairs).
    That car was listed at some point as coming with 4 extra doors as part of the sale, which mine did.
    Car was in Melbourne as previously mentioned, I trailered it back to Wollongong.

Possibly a lot of co-incidence but I'm curious if anyone has any information. The thread I linked mentioned it being a "bathurst" car, what that specifically means I'm im unsure. It mentions Bathurst cars had the UK spec more powerful engine fitted also.

After just doing a bit more reading, it appears Mr Mcloud (presumably Peter?) First raced bxs at Bathurst in 92, so with mine being an 89 the years don't line up.

It's a whole lot of co-incidence if that's all it is
    Either way I'm interested to find out more.

Ben

1000+ Posts

so Mcload wouldnt have driven a 3 year old car @ bathurst

I don't know about the rate of 16Valve sales at the time, but my parents bought their runout compliance-plated-1991 BX TRi wagon new in August 1991 from McLeod's and it was built in 1989. Is there any great discrepancy between your build date and compliance date?
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

UFO

To ease your searches it is Peter McLeod.

There is a dramatic video of a BX losing all hydraulics and crashing into and over the pit lane tyres during a 24 hour race.

This may be myth, BUT, I was told they had thought it a good idea to double the accumulator spheres on the pressure reg and apparently the manufactured junction failed meaning instant loss of suspension, brakes and steering power. This "could" be the car that you have ended up with Ben - youtube the video.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Fellow Frogger!

I recall a story written in the Citroen Car Club (NSW) Chevrons Magazine. If memory serves, it was written by McLeod describing his two BX 16V campaigns at Mt Panorama in the early 1990s. I had thought the valvers raced, sunroofs were either welded over using steel or some didn't have them. I will have to dig to find the story. Is the man himself contactable?

Alans S posted this write up back in March 2003, might help join the dots. . .

Link>>> History of BX in Motorsport in Oz

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Fellow Frogger!

Hey everyone,

I'm still looking into this, I believe Peter McLeod is local to me so I am going to try to drop in at his workshop for a chat one day.

I've had a fairly major set back with getting the car registered so im focusing on that right now but I'll update here if/when i find out anything.

Thanks
    Ben
    Last edited by Captain Slow; 3rd March 2019 at 10:56 PM.
    frog likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
    Hello,

I've just come across this thread about a 16 valve BX sold on eBay in 2014

Flipping the EBay 16V BX

A lot of the information seems to line up between that car and my car, which I purchased from a chap in Melbourne in late 2017.

The "facts"

That car had a cracked subframe, as mine did when I bought it, shown in my recent thread.
    That car was red and had a sunroof, same as mine.
    That car had standard front bumper, as does mine (although car was supplied with correct one needing repairs).
    That car was listed at some point as coming with 4 extra doors as part of the sale, which mine did.
    Car was in Melbourne as previously mentioned, I trailered it back to Wollongong.

Possibly a lot of co-incidence but I'm curious if anyone has any information. The thread I linked mentioned it being a "bathurst" car, what that specifically means I'm im unsure. It mentions Bathurst cars had the UK spec more powerful engine fitted also.

After just doing a bit more reading, it appears Mr Mcloud (presumably Peter?) First raced bxs at Bathurst in 92, so with mine being an 89 the years don't line up.

It's a whole lot of co-incidence if that's all it is
    Either way I'm interested to find out more.

Ben
    i went and looked at this at the time, in Gardenvale or Elsternwick, Melb from memory. It had spare doors, spare front bar, boxes of parts. Can't remember if it was registered or not, but being in backstreets was able to take it for a short drive. I'd have quite a few photos of it if I looked back.

As I understand our resident flipper DogBoy won the auction and pretty sure he sold the car and the spare parts and doors separately. As flippers do.

Fellow Frogger!

When I bought it, it came with 4 spare doors, front and rear bumpers, a set of wheels, and some other odds and ends. Presumably they mostly or all came with the car from Dogboy, but I'll have to contact him to be sure, which im about to try to do now

Ben

One of the Bathurst cars - https://www.google.com.au/imgres?img...act=mrc&uact=8

Wikipedia lists Bathurst results by year. It shows the BX's for 91/2/3/4 including drivers and results. I did try to list the links but the site had a hick up and I got slack second time around.
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

Fellow Frogger!

The BX16V is 30 years old this year, eligible for concessional rego in NSW. Yahoooo!
    STALLED likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

All the Bathurst 12 hour cars were ordered/delivered without a sun roof was what I was told by "Warren" a McLeod mechanic of that time.
    Just like mine
    UFO likes this.

Thank God for my Hydroen harrisson_citroen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by michael16v View Post
    All the Bathurst 12 hour cars were ordered/delivered without a sun roof was what I was told by "Warren" a McLeod mechanic of that time.
    Just like mine
    And if you're lucky, it could also be an ex French Embassy car , that General De Gaulle was driving on his visits to Australia, like my DS23 is supposed to be! err.... can't think of too many trips De Gaulle did here though!
    CXVingtCinq and UFO like this.
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

Thread Information