XM a viable proposition?
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: XM a viable proposition?

Default XM a viable proposition?

Regarding the XM on Ebay at the moment. Curious to know if I would be biting off more than I can chew with this car. Previously owned a DS21 and a BX19GT plus a dabble with a CX so not completely new to Cits. Responses from previous/present owners or those that know about XMs and the availability of parts and servicing etc. would be appreciated. Bob.

Advertisement
    gsowner84 likes this.

Fellow Frogger

It's a late 24 Valve with the extra airbags and has the extra power that the earlier PRV V6 cars really wanted. It needs all the usual used car checks and has the usual PSA plastic-era car concerns with some parts no longer available from Citroen. There is usually a workaround and alternative supply options if you think ahead a little. Items such as radiator end tanks and coolant reservoirs are plastic and can become brittle in old age, but are still available.

It will be a non-sinking model, meaning it has an extra sphere and a valve at each end to maintain the height for weeks or more. That is the ES9 engine as used in Xantia V6 and Pug 406 V6. It's almost the same engine as used in the C5 V6, but without the variable timing cam hubs. Buy an older 406 or Xantia V6 for mechanical spares.

There are many good points about this car and the back story is correct I believe. The owner evidently knows his car well. The one thing not mentioned is the condition of the front strut tops. These will have been the later type with the extra ring at the bottom from new as they changed in production around 1997/8. The rubber does still let go eventually, but the strut doesn't bend the bonnet as it did with the original style of mount. Quiz the owner on this as I expect he could answer. They are easy to change if need be and you would have read of the Eastern European repair route.

The (mostly non) 'faults'
    * Window regulator. The cables rust, but they can be fixed. Could be a bad switch. If the motor stops working, there is an encapsulated connection in the motor between the plug socket and the motor which can corrode, but it's hidden under sealant.
    *Crack in dashboard near windscreen - Very common for the plastic demister vent to split in various places. French plastic strikes again. Live with it as it doesn't alter the function.
    *Gear knob - They all do that. It's a soft rubberised plastic over a hard plastic lever. Stick it back together with urethane or peel it off. It will degrade in time in any case.
    * Oil seeping. That could be a decent job, depending on where it's actually weeping from. The owner obviously knows what is involved, but possibly didn't use enough sealant or missed something.
    * Gearbox - Oil change is easy. The version of the ZF4HP20 in the XM has a dipstick, which is a help. The thump seems to happen on older gearboxes, but isn't likely to cause a major problem.

Incidentally, I think the 10% discount coupon from eBay being mentioned is P10LESS and it would not apply to cars and has a maximum of $50 if you check the T&C. Still it does apply to many other things, including car parts, which seem to be excluded from most of their coupons of late.
    gsowner84 likes this.

Go for it. The thing is cheap enough to take the risk.

XMs are great cars. Until they aren't.

Roger
    gsowner84 and UFO like this.

If you do a search on here for v6 cam boxes or similar you will see what's what with those.

It looks pretty good!
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Fellow Frogger!

It looks pretty good to me. You should be able to find most mechanical parts, just not ones for the body.
    SMM and gsowner84 like this.

SMM

Quote Originally Posted by Erikbm View Post
    It looks pretty good to me. You should be able to find most mechanical parts, just not ones for the body.
    Hear hear.

Go for it, they are great cars, but I am biased
    gsowner84 likes this.
    SMM

Current Citroen - : 1997 Xm Exclusive Series II, C4 Cactus

Previous Citroens: 2007 C4 VTR, 2006 C5, 1991 Xm Series 1, 1999 Xsara 1.8, 1988 Bx TRI

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

I say "Go For It". I promise, it will be a very memorable experience
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Fellow Frogger

/sarcasm ???

carschism?
    driven likes this.

Thanks for all the replies with info and advice. I did a fair bit of research delving into the archives for more info and it seems quite a few froggers have had an XM at one time or other and experienced some "not too pleasant" episodes with them. I'll keep an open mind and watch how the auction unfolds.

Quote Originally Posted by dunky View Post
    it seems quite a few froggers have had an XM at one time or other and experienced some "not too pleasant" episodes with them.
    Name a Citroen that doesn't do that. You can find that with any car (expect maybe a Corolla).

You have expressed interest in what is an extremely complex car. For example, there is an entire volume of the 5-volume factory repair manual devoted to electrics! Of course things can go wrong. If you have an interest in XMs, just buy one and give it a try. It won't cost you much. If it dies you won't have lost much. From a distance that one looks as good as any you will find.

Roger
    gsowner84 likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Didn't GSOwner experience owning an XM for a period of time?
    gsowner84 likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by IDear View Post
    Didn't GSOwner experience owning an XM for a period of time?
    I certainly did. It was a lovely car but I'm the end after 400000 km it needed to be looked after beyond my limited mechanical skills.

I still miss it and this one for sale on eBay looks quite promising
    1974 Citroen D Special (Blanc Meije)
    1989 Citroen 2CV 6 Dolly (Plum & Custard)

Previously owned Frenchies -
    1976 Citroen GS 1220
    1997 Peugeot 306 XSi
    1995 Citroen XM Series II V6 (Vert Vega)

Fellow Frogger!

>>Name a Citroen that doesn't do that. You can find that with any car (expect maybe a Corolla).

I have just hired a car to drive around the Griffith area for a few days and sadly, it is a Corolla. I seriously don't like the driving position or the seating. Would rather be in my XM any day of the week.

Erik

FYI
    Auction winning bid was $4155.
    Seller rejected the buy now price of $4500 to Aussiefroggers because our offer for $2000 deposit EFT to his nominated account and balance on pick up 2 weeks down the track was unreasonable??? He wanted full amount in his bank account forthwith; no eft - eft he reckons takes too long before he has access to the money??
    John
    PS: Subsequently I did want his XM and did not bid.

Fellow Frogger

eft has recently become almost instant, but I guess the seller dictates the terms and some won't budge.

John are you now specifically wanting an ES9 24V?

1000+ Posts

As featured in Wikipedia .

XM on Wikipedia.JPG
    David S likes this.

Anybody know where it now is? Not a big eBayer, but according to a friend, eBay site does not say that the item has been sold, simply not available.
    Anybody confirm?
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Armidillo View Post
    As featured in Wikipedia .

XM on Wikipedia.JPG
    gsowner84 likes this.

1000+ Posts

Too subtle? You were supposed to notice that the photo is a new, never before seen, one. I admit it doesn't help that the date and time that the picture was taken get stripped off when uploading to AF.

Let's just say that it will be keeping it's 'famous' original NSW plates .

Cheers

Alec

Enjoy!

Roger

1000+ Posts

Alec kindly dropped by to show me the xm;hope you get many years of enjoyment,Andy.
    Armidillo likes this.

Congratulations, (sorry Alec but you were too subtle, same paved driveway as the vendor).
    John

Too subtle? You were supposed to notice that the photo is a new, never before seen, one. I admit it doesn't help that the date and time that the picture was taken get stripped off when uploading to AF.

Let's just say that it will be keeping it's 'famous' original NSW plates .

Cheers

Alec

1000+ Posts

Just got home (550 km trip), so off to bed. Mike (previous owner) seemed like a lovely bloke, and true Citroen tragic. Sorry he was unreasonable to you John.

You are right about the photo being taken in his driveway - we both took photos in the twilight before I drove off. Was the only photo I had Monday night. Here's one from yesterday's trip:

The owner of the Bentley came back just after I'd taken a few photos and did not seem pleased that I might have been photographing his car. I assured him I was photographing my car, and that it was much rarer than his .

Might blur his numberplate before posting any more revealing snaps - wouldn't want to upset the nice young man...

XM at motorway services.jpg

Cheers

Alec

PS - really pleased with fuel economy - 516 km on less than 1/2 a tank!
    CXVingtCinq and gsowner84 like this.

Saw an identical Bentley at Flinders Yacht Club (Vic) last Saturday. Common as muck!
    Armidillo likes this.
    2014 C5 2.2 HDI Limited Edition Sedan
    2007 C5 2.2 HDI Hatchback
    2007 C4 1.6 HDI EGS Sedan
    Peugeot Mi16 Series 2

Your gain Alec, his loss (lower price plus eBay fee). Enjoy; once again with Citroen, way ahead of their time.

As for me, I'll concentrate on the one I already have albeit not as nice but then it is a real Citroen - single spoke steering wheel (just jesting)!

John

Just got home (550 km trip), so off to bed. Mike (previous owner) seemed like a lovely bloke, and true Citroen tragic. Sorry he was unreasonable to you John.

You are right about the photo being taken in his driveway - we both took photos in the twilight before I drove off. Was the only photo I had Monday night. Here's one from yesterday's trip:

The owner of the Bentley came back just after I'd taken a few photos and did not seem pleased that I might have been photographing his car. I assured him I was photographing my car, and that it was much rarer than his .

Might blur his numberplate before posting any more revealing snaps - wouldn't want to upset the nice young man...

XM at motorway services.jpg

Cheers

Alec

PS - really pleased with fuel economy - 516 km on less than 1/2 a tank!

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information