Citroen Traction Avant - engine misfire at start up
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Citroen Traction Avant - engine misfire at start up

Hi everyone, I have a 4 cylinder Traction that does not get a lot of use and when I start it there is a mis-fire and if I rev it up occassionally a back-fire or popping noise. This has happened in the past and once it warms up the problem seems to go away. It has standard ( original points and coil/condensor ) set-up. I am pretty sure it is electrical rather than fuel.

Any troubleshooting tests for me to try ?

Advertisement

I am am a bit worried I have a sticking or burnt valve. Would a compression test eliminate/reveal this possible source of the problem ?

Ted Cross

COL

I would start by giving the engine a tune up.

Remove the plugs clean & check the gap, adjust if out of spec. Maybe get new plugs if they are badly worn.

Check the points to make sure the contact faces are clean (if badly pitted replace) and adjust gap to spec in manual.

Check timing and adjust if required.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Fellow Frogger

A compression test could show up a bad valve, but you can also run it with the rocker cover off and see if all the valves are moving as expected. You won't get too much oil spraying around as the flow to the rockers isn't great.

Is it as simple as one of the valve adjusters having come loose and leaving a large gap? I had that on a CX and simply readjusting fixed it.

Stale fuel also tends to not burn well and can foul plugs and cause a misfire.

Quote Originally Posted by COL View Post
    I would start by giving the engine a tune up.

Remove the plugs clean & check the gap, adjust if out of spec. Maybe get new plugs if they are badly worn.

Check the points to make sure the contact faces are clean (if badly pitted replace) and adjust gap to spec in manual.

Check timing and adjust if required.
    Yes Ted, do all of the above and a compression test. Then do the compression test again with oil squirted in through the spark plug holes. This will distinguish between ring faults and valve faults. Further diagnosis is difficult without knowing the condition and history of the engine. If it is an original high mileage unit it will be fairly certain that the valve guides will be worn. Worn guides lead to irregular seating and burned valves. This is a common problem.
    There are other areas to investigate --- fuel pump ----- carburettor etc.
    Cheers Gerry

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks everyone. Gerry it is Tom Campbell's 11B that I purchased from him just before he passed away. The engine is pretty much perfect. Ted

Hook in a vacuum gauge to the intake manifold beneath the carburettor. Then tell us what the dial reading is @ idle & about 800rpm plus anything the needle is doing if not steady. As well hook in a dwell meter tach meter & check @ the same time. VG no PCV.JPG
    Last edited by Artificer; 24th February 2019 at 10:01 AM.

Thread Information