C5 Diesel erratic running
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default C5 Diesel erratic running

Hi All. I am looking at a C5 2004 with a 2.0l sohc RHZ series engine. At Idle (850 rpm) in park or Neutral it has a vibration like a misfire. When D or R is selected revs drop to 800 and the vibration stops, like wise if I increase the revs to 900, no vibration. The car drives ok on the road. Any Ideas would help Cheers & Thanks.

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger

Bruce, a 2004 model should have a two piece damper and an alternator with a one way pulley. If someone has fitted a solid pulley alternator from an early model or the pulley's ratchet/clutch has jammed or nearly jammed you can experience quite a lot of vibration at idle. You need the earlier 3 piece pulley without the one way pulley. The vibration goes away off idle. That's worth checking. Also, use Lexia/DiagBox to see if there are high injector correction values. You may have some tired injectors and I recall being told the maximum correction allowed is about 9%. Hope this assists.

I have a set of factory printed manuals for these early C5s that would have been kept up to date until about 2003. There are 6 or 7 folders, including extensive wiring diagrams and coverage of most of the engines and gearboxes found in the range. Do you want them? The last of the early C5s in my extended family moved along a few months ago, so I have no need for these manuals.

Tadpole

Hi David. I have looked at the injector details and they all seem to be similar. The Alternator may be the cause, I will check it out. Also I would like to get hold of the factory books on this car. I will contact you offline. Cheers & thanks Bruce.

Thread Information