Swapping DS pallas for Safari. A crazy idea? And child seat mounting in a Safari
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Jon Marshall
  • 1 Post By IDear
  • 2 Post By IDear
  • 1 Post By gilberthenry

Thread: Swapping DS pallas for Safari. A crazy idea? And child seat mounting in a Safari

Tadpole

Icon5 Swapping DS pallas for Safari. A crazy idea? And child seat mounting in a Safari

Hi,
    Im new to here but a long term CitroŽn person in Brisbane. I have a nice but no way perfect 1974 DS 23 pallas but because of having 2 small kids plus dog, have been thinking more and more a DS 23 Safari might be advantageous... This may be a crazy concept but the idea came to me that perhaps someone with a Safari in good nick might prefer my sedan and we might be able to do some sort of swap deal with money adjustment if warranted. Does anyone think this is an ok idea??
    Also, has anyone experience of having child seat mounting points fitted in a D Safari via a crab bar or otherwise? It it straight forward? If itís not possible then no point contemplating Safaris at all...
    Jon

Advertisement
    gsowner84 likes this.

Fellow Frogger

I don't know about the Safari, but my brother used to successfully mount kiddie seats in the back of a 504 wagon via a cross bar. I can't recall how that was mounted, but it would be something worth looking into.

If you have a need for only two kiddie seats, then a sedan shouldn't pose any problems. You have the parcel shelf to work with, although it's not very thick and you'd want to reinforce the strap mounting points. There won't be any kind of factory child seat mounting present in the DS.

Fellow Frogger!

Hello Jon. so you still have the Pallas! So you haven't had to sell it " for a new Kitchen"
    Years ago I sold my '21 Safari. the car that had late exterior door handles on one side and early on the other side.
    Steve .... can't think of his surname. He is a nurse. Actually I caught up with him on the 60th D Run. is it Steve Cook?
    Anyway he fitted a bar behind the rear seat to accommodate the children seats. Very successful as he had the car for many years as the kids grew up.
    My Safari gets a lot of use transporting loads very economically and comfortably.
    I did have some suspension problems but they were overcome with the help from this forum.
    I think it's a good idea and your car is certainly a good candidate to do a swap. Good luck with it Jon.
    Should have been in touch with you before now but life "is too busy".
    Off to the big European and British Day at Yarra Glen tomorrow. This time in the P6 Rover TC2000. ... Michael Paas

Tadpole

Thanks Michael and great to hear from you! So it seems that the ‘crab bar’ behind the back seat is a viable solution. So now I just have to find a good Safari! I hope you enjoy the European car day. Oh, and remember last time we met you were going to email me some photos of that TS Schneider! Cheers Jon

1000+ Posts

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Citroen-...kAAOSwcT5b9jaS

Nothing to do with me. Not exactly ready to be a daily driver, but at least the seller seems motivated to let it go...

Cheers

Alec

noting dogboy hasn't posted this year
    grandC4picasso RHB, [email protected] , EGS6Sp, B58, MY 2012-2013 (?)

Fellow Frogger!

Great day at Yarra Glen. On this same Citroen Forum .... scroll down to "Going West in ID19B". It is right down at the bottom or go to page 2.
    After you click on it, go to number 2 (23rd January) Then click on the photograph ... Kirks Res. You'll see a photo of John's TH Schneider.
    Michael
    gsowner84 likes this.

Tadpole

Thanks Michael, some great photos there. Looks like the Paas are living the good life in Victoria! The TH Schneider is a cracker! And John has. B2 as well? Love it!!!
    Jon

Fellow Frogger!

That Safari looks interesting. They do tend to rust around the rear windows. It makes me think that the car was sitting out in the weather for a while. Well you could make a silly offer on it!
    In another life Jon .... you had a vintage car, a bullnose Morris I think? You've never had a B2 Vintage Citroen have you?
    Because I ended up with so many B2 parts when purchasing my B2 Roadster from Peter Boyle; John then bought the B2 Tourer from Craig Little.
    These little cars make ideal "town cars". I sit my little dog in the passenger seat when doing the shopping. It's cool for her in the shade with the hood up. Ofcourse "it's turning the clock back" ...... no seat belts, airbags, reinforced doors ... the joys of living in a small town in the backblocks of Victoria.
    All the Best Michael
    gsowner84 and markb2501 like this.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by IDear View Post
    That Safari looks interesting. They do tend to rust around the rear windows. It makes me think that the car was sitting out in the weather for a while. Well you could make a silly offer on it!
    In another life Jon .... you had a vintage car, a bullnose Morris I think? You've never had a B2 Vintage Citroen have you?
    Because I ended up with so many B2 parts when purchasing my B2 Roadster from Peter Boyle; John then bought the B2 Tourer from Craig Little.
    These little cars make ideal "town cars". I sit my little dog in the passenger seat when doing the shopping. It's cool for her in the shade with the hood up. Ofcourse "it's turning the clock back" ...... no seat belts, airbags, reinforced doors ... the joys of living in a small town in the backblocks of Victoria.
    All the Best Michael
    Funny you say that Michael because I'm quite sure Jon DID HAVE a B2 Citroen. I remember when he had it for sale and thinking how nice it looked although I think it needed a lot of work - - - many moons ago.

John
    gsowner84 likes this.

Tadpole

Indeed I did have a 1922 B2 roadster. Needing restoration. Had to sell it sadly. When I was young Dad had a beautiful 1924 Morris Oxford. Bullnose. And a 1932 Morris Minor with a cute torpedo 2 seater body. Both were in great condition and both lost to the bush fire in the late 1990s. I still have 1936 Morris 8/40 2 seater and 1039 Austin 8 wasp tourer. Both needing fixing up to run but pretty good cars and secure under the house.
    I enquired about the green Safari on carsales but an inspection my a local Citroen mechanic warned me off it due to excessive rust
    Jon

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Why would you buy a safari ?? If you are going to go to the effort of buying a wagon.... get one with 3 rows of seats, or the fold down seats in the load area
    eg:

We had the version with 1 single row of rear seats, but the seats that fold out of the load space years ago (as a wreck that was never on the road).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

if only they had called them Grand Picasso or Spacetourer - could have sold heaps ...
    grandC4picasso RHB, [email protected] , EGS6Sp, B58, MY 2012-2013 (?)

Fellow Frogger

... or had the Picasso been called a Safari and a free cuddly lion, elephant or giraffe thrown in, imagine the sales!

If you want some more work to do.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...7397138980736/

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Thread Information