C6 2.7 HDi engine oil pressure low warning
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Armidillo

Thread: C6 2.7 HDi engine oil pressure low warning

Default C6 2.7 HDi engine oil pressure low warning

G'day frogger's,

I'm getting an 'engine oil pressure low' warning message, but only momentarily at the very top of a long hill climb (top of Toowoomba range). Nil other engine symptoms that would raise any concerns. Oil level is full, and warning never occurs otherwise in my experience with the car.

Advertisement

Initial thoughts are around suspecting oil viscosity incorrect (currently 10W-40), oil pump not quite keeping up, oil pressure sensor out-of-spec, or simply oil circulation system design deficiency.

Questions:
    1. Anyone else with C6 or car with the 2.7HDi had this warning message pop up? If so, any remedies to recommend?
    2. Any considered suggestions from the wider froggers brains trust?

Thanks all,
    Harvey J.
    Harvey.

Currently: Xantia SX wagon, C4 Exclusive, CX2200 Pallas, Xantia Activa, BMW K75C.
    Previously: Daihatsu Sirion, Xantia Activa (the other one), Suzuki Alto, Xantia SX wagon (the other one), CX GTi, Xantia VSX CT Turbo, Honda CB250T, CX2400 Pallas.

What engine revs does the message come up at after the climb up the range? Perhaps a OBD reader system like Torque can give you actual live readings for oil pressure and oil temperature.

Cheers, Ken

1000+ Posts

Hi Harvey

Do you need to change your sig ? (Hint - no C6 listed ).

I don't have any personal knowledge of this motor, but I assume that being an HDi it has much in common with PSA 4-cyl diesels. Are you absolutely certain that oil used during the life of this car has been low SAPS (low ash) and the recommended viscosity? If there's any doubt I would be concerned that you have sludge in your oil. This would be incompletely blocking your oil strainer, getting worse when the engine is working hard for a prolonged period.

AFAIK, best way to check is to drop the oil and remove the sump. If there is evidence of sludge, you will need to do more than change the oil and clean the strainer - replacement of turbo oil feed line comes to mind.

Another thought is - have you noted the temperature gauges when the warning appears? Hotter than normal oil would be thinner than usual...

Cheers

Alec
    Stuey likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Hi,
    I had the exact same warning message come up on my C4 1.6HDI. The driving wasn't affected at all, but the warning message stayed on longer and longer until it was on permanently.
    In my case I drove it to Continentals (in Sydney) who diagnosed a blocked oil line inside the engine. They flushed the line and refilled it but it didn't fix it. They had to replace the pipe. The oil gunk had crystallized into a solid mass and was restricting the oil flow, hence reducing the pressure. You could compare it to a artery hardening and restricting the blood flow inside a human.

You could possibly try flushing the oil system and refilling with new oil.
    Good luck.

Glenn

Thanks for quick replies chaps,

Good ideas, thank you all. I'm looking into them and others (in between work, changing nappies, not much else.... Been driving the car for most of the past week now - nil change to my initial report. Another T'ba range ascent due Wednesday afternoon. In all other respects...... I can't get enough of it. The time and effort that Citroen put into developing this car really shows. Not perfect of course.....but gees it's pretty bloody close.

Alec, no sig block change - just looking after the car for my dad at the moment. ....and I thought I'd save some tyre tread on my Activa for now , so swapped with the C6 while I sort a few things on it for Dad.

Will report back again as the diags progress.
    Harvey.

Currently: Xantia SX wagon, C4 Exclusive, CX2200 Pallas, Xantia Activa, BMW K75C.
    Previously: Daihatsu Sirion, Xantia Activa (the other one), Suzuki Alto, Xantia SX wagon (the other one), CX GTi, Xantia VSX CT Turbo, Honda CB250T, CX2400 Pallas.

Thread Information