Hub Cap Retention?
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gilberthenry

Thread: Hub Cap Retention?

Default Hub Cap Retention?

Am in assembly stage of my Lt 15 rebuild.
    New hub caps from EU @ great expense.
    Click on OK but also come off with next to no effort.
    Don't wish to lose on rough roads etc.
    Any ideas on securing these on the rims better, please?
    Thanks, John.

Advertisement
    Attached Images Attached Images

They look like DS/ID hubcaps?

Quote Originally Posted by forumnoreason View Post
    They look like DS/ID hubcaps?
    That is the case. The wheels are 15" Astra.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Artificer View Post
    That is the case. The wheels are 15" Astra.
    Large DS hubcaps ( called "wheel envelopers" in early DS parts books ) have a propensity for falling off, and running as vertical saucers for long distances where they lie hidden in long grass until the next visit by the council mower ... often years later, when they reappear severely scarred and of no use ...( don't ask how I know ). My father actually painted the home telephone number inside the Pallas wheel covers and on two occasions was able to retrace the errant full size discs.
    Back in the 70s it was not uncommon in country Queensland to have a centre retaining bolt with a nice acorn head ( to hide the thread ) and a bracket attached to the wheel( usually riveted to the wheel ) to work as the attachment point. 15 inch D wheels have a relatively flat centre. At the time GS Pallas wheels and hubcaps with the centre retaining bolt were about ( and available as new parts ). Renault 16s also used the centre retaining bolt concept too.

Fellow Frogger!

Below is what I wrote years ago. Generally now I don't bend the springs as I have broken the odd one but I think most of my Pallas hubcaps have been done.
    The main part is that with an angle grinder you smarten up the step in the lip so the spring holder sits nicely behind it. I've been driving with full hubcaps for years. I'm cleaning 3 wheels at this very time which have been sitting and today will grind that little edge - - 3 a wheel.

All the best, John.

LOSING HUBCAPS ???

The last of many times it happened to me was my Pallas hubcap spinning off on a bridge. We watched it slow down at the edge and as we were about to stop, it teetered a bit right on the edge of the bridge. Instead of falling our way it went the other and dropped about 30 yards into the Brisbane river. That Night I woke in fright when I realized my name and phone number and reward notice was written on the inside of the hubcap. I visualized it soaring down and hitting a person on the head as his boat carried him to that precise spot. I hoped that in the next few days I wouldn't receive the dreaded phone call. I now imagine it lying on the bottom - - in the mud.

I got serious and ground the lips a bit sharper of each wheel with a grinder.
    I then heated each spring of the hubcap and bent them out a touch with multi grips and quenched them red hot to keep the spring tension.

- - - - - - Now that's interesting. I say here to quench the spring in cold water.
    I did this recently (June 2012)as I've been hubcap proofing the '68 ID19B after losing a Pallas hubcap on the highway and did my bit heating the spring and bring it out and then I dunked the part of the hubcap with red hot spring in water and presto - - the spring cracked to billio and broke like cardboard. Not wanting to repeat this disaster I didn't quench the others but think that maybe the spring might be gone out of the steel. In any case the hubcaps are hanging on. I'll need to recover a good spring from a bad hubcap and rivet it onto where my balls up is. I think when I did this procedure originally I ran the hot spring under a tap instead of dunking.
    - - - insert June 2012..

The only catch was removal. I fashioned an old steel square with one long end and the bottom end only about 3 - 4inches long. To remove I slip the small end between the hubcap and the spring jiggling it closer till the hubcap releases.

I have a tool in each of our D's and we've never lost a hubcap since.

- - Drastic you might think, but it works.
    Kenfuego likes this.

Thanks I was considering fashioning 3 or 4 sharp V's on the edges of each of the springs but thought others may have had similar issues as it seems they have!

Fellow Frogger

Wouldn't those vee indentation reduce the pressure of the spring clips on the inside of the rim by pulling the clip inwards? If you didn't use DS rims to make what I assume are 15 inch rims, then you may not have the retainer indentation in the right spot.

If you are replacing a spring on a DS hubcap, use steel rivets pop rivets instead of the usual aluminium version.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by gilberthenry View Post
    Below is what I wrote years ago. Generally now I don't bend the springs as I have broken the odd one but I think most of my Pallas hubcaps have been done.
    The main part is that with an angle grinder you smarten up the step in the lip so the spring holder sits nicely behind it. I've been driving with full hubcaps for years. I'm cleaning 3 wheels at this very time which have been sitting and today will grind that little edge - - 3 a wheel.

All the best, John.

LOSING HUBCAPS ???

The last of many times it happened to me was my Pallas hubcap spinning off on a bridge. We watched it slow down at the edge and as we were about to stop, it teetered a bit right on the edge of the bridge. Instead of falling our way it went the other and dropped about 30 yards into the Brisbane river. That Night I woke in fright when I realized my name and phone number and reward notice was written on the inside of the hubcap. I visualized it soaring down and hitting a person on the head as his boat carried him to that precise spot. I hoped that in the next few days I wouldn't receive the dreaded phone call. I now imagine it lying on the bottom - - in the mud.

I got serious and ground the lips a bit sharper of each wheel with a grinder.
    I then heated each spring of the hubcap and bent them out a touch with multi grips and quenched them red hot to keep the spring tension.

- - - - - - Now that's interesting. I say here to quench the spring in cold water.
    I did this recently (June 2012)as I've been hubcap proofing the '68 ID19B after losing a Pallas hubcap on the highway and did my bit heating the spring and bring it out and then I dunked the part of the hubcap with red hot spring in water and presto - - the spring cracked to billio and broke like cardboard. Not wanting to repeat this disaster I didn't quench the others but think that maybe the spring might be gone out of the steel. In any case the hubcaps are hanging on. I'll need to recover a good spring from a bad hubcap and rivet it onto where my balls up is. I think when I did this procedure originally I ran the hot spring under a tap instead of dunking.
    - - - insert June 2012..

The only catch was removal. I fashioned an old steel square with one long end and the bottom end only about 3 - 4inches long. To remove I slip the small end between the hubcap and the spring jiggling it closer till the hubcap releases.

I have a tool in each of our D's and we've never lost a hubcap since.

- - Drastic you might think, but it works.

Yes, the reason I originally went through the process of heating the spring and pulling it out and then quenching was that this would compensate for the spring sitting further down. It is the quenching process which I kind of forget but as I did these hubcaps probably 10 or so years ago I think all the springs have been pulled out a touch. I really don't think the stretching of the springs is that necessary as the depth issue is probably negligible.

Anyway, we drive everywhere with hubcaps on - - - something I wanted to ensure a long time ago.

I have attached pics of the indent that I do.
    Attached Images Attached Images

1000+ Posts

Wow that is...drastic but it works, and the rim hasn't split or fallen off. An old fashioned Aussie quick fix. Love it

ken

PS anticipating "someone" not liking the grinding, could the same thing be accomplished by a quick application of a weld bead on the rim?
    Last edited by Kenfuego; 20th February 2019 at 04:44 PM.

Fellow Frogger!

I find a nice chrome screw in the middle of the hubcap secured inside to a threaded block through the middle of the rim works fine and is foolproof. Never lost one yet and it looks fine

Original 400mm wheels and hubcaps particularly the 11bl screws ons, work fine
    '04 Megane
    Gone but not forgotten
    '71 16 TS, '72 16 TL, '74 15TS,'82 20TS Series 2, '85 25 GTX. '49 L15,

Bush Mechanic strikes again. SILASTIC will never come off

Quote Originally Posted by Kenfuego View Post
    PS anticipating "someone" not liking the grinding, could the same thing be accomplished by a quick application of a weld bead on the rim?
    SAFETY WARNING Tyre @ pressure on & welding big explosion. They [& others nearby] would be dead. NO, NO, NO!

Have it figured....spring clip is set @ 10mm in from where the wheel cover contacts the rim. The rim tyre bead's are 30mm in.
    Spring must be altered to grip in the bead's recess. Will let know how this is accomplished.

Thread Information