DS23 Headlamps.
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: DS23 Headlamps.

Default DS23 Headlamps.

IMG_1550215266.673390.jpgIMG_1550215289.108251.jpg
    Does this look like the proper operation of DS23 headlamps?

On this side (passenger) I have a second internal reflector
    IMG_1550215422.299955.jpg

On the other side I have
    IMG_1550215365.046955.jpgIMG_1550215379.881169.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs

Advertisement

No internal reflector on the drivers side...

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Secretsenor View Post
    No internal reflector on the drivers side...

The lights with the separate rectangular internal reflector are the later design. Some would argue the earlier design is superior as the rectangular reflector does not allow a good low beam cut off pattern.
    It is my experience that the older lamps are longer lasting as they are better dustproofed and therefore the reflective coating stands a chance of a better life.
    Look elsewhere on this site as there has been recent discussion about upgrading DS lights.
    The articulation of DS lights is an outstanding design and relatively simple too. A DS with modern light sources would be magic. The electriconically steered lights have nowhere near the sweep ( about 80 degrees ) .. my C5 has only about 15 degrees of sweep.
    To get maximum amount of self levelling make sute both piano wire cables ( to the front and especially the back ) roll bars are free moving. Don't be surprised if the rear wire is jammed or rusted or even in two pieces.

Fellow Frogger!

Looks like you have reflectors from two different model years fitted as they should be the same on both sides. The dual reflector lamps were fitted to some models till the early 70s. They came about as a way to get high and low beam from one housing as dual filament halogen bulbs didn't exist. Due to the cost of production, they were phased out once dual filament bulbs were readily available. The dual reflector assembly is quite complicated. The high beam is spring mounted and can be independently aimed via a small screw on the underside of the reflector. Provided the silvering hasn't failed then they should be just as good as the later style lamps.

Incidentally, the sized used on the DS also fits Porsche 911s of the period and they are very sought after

Itís a 74 so Iím thinking the dual reflector is not period correct. Hmmm - I do like the look of it though.

Maybe Iíll make a 911 owner happy and put new lamps in the front for safetyís sake.

Thanks for all the information - I appreciate it

Thread Information