Citroen DS power steering o rings
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Icon7 Citroen DS power steering o rings

Hello all fellow DS enthusiasts.
    I have leaks in my DS seal plates on my power steering.
    I think the o rings have hardened.
    They seem to be square profile 8x 4 x 2mm o rings. The only ones I can source from local parts suppliers are round profile. Will they work? David Williams

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger! citroenthusiast's Avatar

Yes, you can use AN size -008 O-rings instead. It is usually a good idea to lap the seal plates on a piece of glass with some 600 grit wet or dry paper so that it is .060 inches or less in thickness. If you can find size -008 quad rings these are even better. They stay in place like the square rings and actually seal over a wider range of gaps than either O or square rings.
    Cheers,
    John T.

54 11BL; 61DS19 LHM (son's); 71DS21 BVH; 73SM 3.0; 73SM 2.7EFI; 73SM 3.0 (other son's); 74 Maserati Merak

Tadpole

Thanks for that John,
    Not quite sure what you are saying.
    -008 quad rings? If I asked that of my local parts shop it would start their eyes spinning.
    Lapping of the plates makes absolute sense. Should have thought of that myself!
    A genuine power steering repair kit is available from England but very expensive. Might have to ask if they can provide the correct o rings separately.
    Thanks very much for your valued input mate!
    Cheers. David Williams

Fellow Frogger!

The parts manual lists the o-rings as being 4.2 x 8 x 1.9. There are 4 at the rotating union and 2 at the power piston. Due to the pressures involved and how the plates fit together, round o-rings tend to end up looking like square section ones. The seal kits from europe contain round section o-rings and they work fine. There is much debate about whether Citroen used round or square section o-rings at the factory and general consensus is they used whatever was on hand each day. As a general, the parts manuals donít specify one or the other.

Which fluid is your car using? It makes a difference as to which rubber the seals are made from.

Use the metric 4x 2 mm o-rings. They are slightly thicker than AS 008 o-rings (1.78 mm if I recall) and will seal better. In Australia they are easy enough to obtain.

There would be very few red fluid power steering Dees on the road in Australia.

Roger

Fellow Frogger! citroenthusiast's Avatar

Roger is correct that a 2mm metric O-ring is thicker than an AS-008 ring so it will seal better if you can source them. Here in the states we have limited a supply of metric O-rings so we use AN sizes for most static applications. I have found that a -008 quad ring works perfectly. However, you typically have to go to an industrial supplier to get them, or resort to eBay... https://tinyurl.com/y23ozmsx
    Cheers,
    John T.

54 11BL; 61DS19 LHM (son's); 71DS21 BVH; 73SM 3.0; 73SM 2.7EFI; 73SM 3.0 (other son's); 74 Maserati Merak

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by faulksy View Post
    Which fluid is your car using? It makes a difference as to which rubber the seals are made from.
    What would be a suitable material for these rings for use in an LHM rack please?
    1968 DS21bvh Pallas in Gris Palladium

Restoration blog: https://ds-restoration.blogspot.co.uk

I use comon-or-garden nitrile o-rings for LHM applications and EPDM for LHS applications.

Roger

Tadpole

A big thank you to all 'froggies' that replied to my post.
    I took a punt & used the round profile metric O rings. They worked!!!
    However I now have a new problem someone may be able to help me with. A fellow D enthusiast sent me a complete DS ignition switch assembly he rescued from a wreck. It arrived without a key. I took it to a local locksmith to get one cut. When he disassembled the barrel he found that the die cast aluminium lugs on the barrel were broken ( a common fault apparently). He had a die cast barrel from a 2CV which fitted. Like an idiot I did not check the Bakelite contact block before refitting the switch back into the dash. It is faulty( another common problem I found). Can anyone help me with obtaining another contact block?
    Cheers. Dave

Dave, I can't help with your new problem.

You might have more success if you start a new thread on this topic and copy your post into it. That way the topic will be clear from its title.

Roger

Tadpole

Thanks for that Roger. Citroen Classics in the UK may be able to help me.
    Dave

Thread Information