Please welcome... GiSelle!
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Please welcome... GiSelle!

Default Please welcome... GiSelle!

It's official! I must be a Citroen Loony.

Citroen number 5 has entered the stable.

A Road Trip to Canberra and back has returned with a 1975 Citroen GS Pallas on board.

I have to admit to some nervousness, but this was quickly dispelled when we arrived to find Terry had her running and pumped up ready for loading! The condition of this car is amazing and I really don't anticipate any huge issues getting her back on the road. Sure there are a couple of bumps and small rust bubbles, oh, and the rear muffler is more rust than muffler, but these are minor compared to what might have been.

Advertisement

Thanks must go to Terry for rescuing her from the crusher all those years ago and storing her in his Mum's garage until I came along. Sadly she has a little longer to wait in another closed garage while I finish off a couple of other projects, not the least being the rebuild of Gaston's motor for his Trans Australian Tootle at Easter.

And while I'm thanking people, Mates Dave and Alan were ideal company on such a trip. Dave provided not only the trailer but the tow car and both provided their valuable time. An excellent time was had by all.

In keeping with my, slightly weird, penchant for naming my cars, this one seems to cry out for the name GiSelle, so she is.

Here's a couple of "as found" photos. Hopefully the next time I post photos of here it'll be on the road!

Cheers, Pottsy.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

2018 C3 Shine ("Oscar" Mrs P's) Grandma's Taxi
    1974 D Special Manual Sedan ("Moby Dick") Weekend Warrior
    2015 C4 Grand Picasso ("Pablo") Workhorse & Grandpa's Taxi
    1982 2CV6 ("Gaston") Seasoned Traveller
    1975 GS Pallas ("GiSelle") Shrunken CX
    And for Fun, 1968 Mini Deluxe ("The R & D'luxe" 1078cc, Grin Factor 100!)

Thank God for my Hydroen harrisson_citroen's Avatar

Ah, forget Giselle , call it Good Shit .

The GS is all Citroen, and actually quite beautiful and cutting edge....still 48 years later.
    You can't go wrong as it will eventually go the way of the DS when it comes to values, and it will pay back what you'll spend on it multiple times over.
    CarNut and Trading Estate like this.
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

DS23 IE Pallas Automatique Borg Warner
    C5 X7 163 Exclusive Automatique AM6
    C3 II 2010 Automatique AL4
    Everything's gone bloody automatique!

Well done Pottsy, We need to see a rear view picture and an under the bonnet one too. Is the car on Bruce Hoad's GS database? We will be joining Teddies Terrific Tour in Quorn in something a bit bigger than a 2CV so we'll see you in a few months. Cheers, Ken

So glad to read that Terry found a buyer and that this one has been saved.
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

Thanks Chaps. Looking forward to working on this one.

Bruce, e-mail sent with info.

Ken, your request is a bit disturbing on some levels. Remember she's a Lady! (But here you are you naughty boy!)

Cheers, Pottsy
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

Fellow Frogger!

Hey Pottsy.. congratulations.. I think I have a box or 2 of GS bits laying around that I been holding onto.. if you want to give them a new home let me know. I havenít owned a GS for 20years!Have fun with it

Yes please Mate.

PM me an address and time (and price) and I shall tootle over and pick them up.

Cheers, Pottsy.
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

1000+ Posts

Why the capital S? Do you know Giselle (small s) had karked it?

Sad to hear of the demise of a small s Giselle. No I didn't know. Is there to be a funeral?

The capital is simply to highlight that GiSelle is a GS.

Just my little semantic joke.

Cheers, Pottsy.
    FIVEDOOR likes this.
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

1000+ Posts

I had one of these some time ago metalic gold wagon ,i had it re sprayed sold it to a guy on sydneys north side, never seen another in that colour i loved it ,good to see its gone to a good home ,they are special, pugs

Now updated on the Register
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

Thanks Bruce.

Are we still unsure if it's 1974 or 1975?

Cheers, Pottsy
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

The Pallas was introduced in Sept 1974, so was AM1975. 1220's for AM1975 ran from 32GB0001 to 38GB1000, according to Gazoline No39. Being a 35GB, I would assume yours is more likely to be built 1975, but I could be wrong.
    Bruce H

Default Home At Last!

Well the time has come for GiSelle to come home to join her siblings here at the Bureau.

A road trip with No 3 Son, a House Guest and a Mate saw us tootle on down to Frankston this morning with another Mate's trailer on the back of Mephistopheles the C5 Break.

Despite my usual worrying as to what would go wrong, nothing did!

The Wagon shrugged off the load with Gallic Insouciance and proceeded to employ all of those turbo diesel newton-metres to drag the whole rig effortlessly homewards.

A quick stop to off load the bed that was also being delivered to Son's home and we were ready to roll off the trailer and drive into the garage.

I'm pleased to say that with the application of a battery and a fuel supply, GiSelle fired up smoothly, albeit a bit rumbly given the total lack of rear muffler substance, and drove happily up the drive and on to the hoist.

A close examination of her underparts (Ooh er Matron!) has revealed no surprises of the rusty kind at all. There's a small spot in the passenger floor which appears to be a crack of sorts, the coin sized patch in the LH rear quarter, and a small bubble in the front of the bonnet.

All good.

I've got my first order of bits from overseas already, a new rear muffler, timing belt kit and hydraulic pump gaiter. These were ordered on spec as being the bits I knew for sure I wanted to replace at first.

As time goes by I'll identify what else is needed and hopefully I'll be able to sort most of it out from the stock of parts I acquired recently.

So stay tuned, and/or brace yourselves, for the further adventures of GiSelle as she gradually gets back to being on the road.

Cheers, Pottsy
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

Congratulations pottsy - just so happens my brown GS Break is called Giselle but happy to share the name with you

There is a GS anniversary in '20 starting way out west NSW somewhere, more info to follow (being organised by SA club)
    '73 & '74 GS Break
    '00 Xantia Break
    '78 504 GL - gone to good home
    '69 ID19B - if wasn't for mortgage would still have, '74 DS23 Pallas
    '74 Renault TS , '69 Renault TS - last seen forlorn at Taminda wreckers

JBN

That's a great number plate in the rear-end photo. I should have one like that for this long weekend as its Double Demerit Points in Nuisance Wails.

John

that is curious you mention the small rust spot on the passenger underside Pottsy, the GS I have has one there but nowhere else. It would good to know what the cause is.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

GS's are spectacular .... Just wait until you drive it. They are the only car I've been able to push into a 4 wheel drift on greasy roads ... Sadly like the CX I think they will never be worth anything money wise ..... But who cares, its the driving that is fun .... Its good there is affordable fun old cars out there that we can still buy and play with.

The GS is probably a better drive than the CX and the DS .... Its handling/ride compromise is simply staggering.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    CarNut, fnqvmuch and forumnoreason like this.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

The Story So Far!

This morning has seen me enthused enough to replace the rear muffler and hangers. A fairly straightforward job and extra worthwhile as it now lets me hear that the motor is pretty quiet. So far so good.

While running on a separate pumped fuel supply, I let the existing pump purge into a bucket. Not a lot came out so maybe the tank is empty like the gauge says. Alternatively it could be clogged with scunge. Once I get the compressor compressing again (another story!) I'll give it a damn good talking to with some compressed air up it's pipe! (Ooer!)

As expected, the front lower inner bushes are not just cactus but full on mesquite! Luckily I have a spare pair which may have already had new bushes pressed in, otherwise that's a job for the near future.

Only other issue so far is that the rear height corrector seems to be on strike, not letting the system lower under the influence of the central lever. May be a dodgy linkage, dirty internals or a number of other causes. First fun part will be finding the little divil! To that end, lunchtime reading will be the factory manual while munching a (healthy) pie.

More news as it comes to hand!

Will Egbert the Wonder Hamster reach the beleaguered garrison in time to save their reputations?

Will Postlethwaite reveal his true feelings to his commanding officer?

Only time, and the script writers, will tell.

Now Read On!

Cheers, Pottsy.
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pottsy View Post
    The Story So Far!

This morning has seen me enthused enough to replace the rear muffler and hangers. A fairly straightforward job and extra worthwhile as it now lets me hear that the motor is pretty quiet. So far so good.

While running on a separate pumped fuel supply, I let the existing pump purge into a bucket. Not a lot came out so maybe the tank is empty like the gauge says. Alternatively it could be clogged with scunge. Once I get the compressor compressing again (another story!) I'll give it a damn good talking to with some compressed air up it's pipe! (Ooer!)

As expected, the front lower inner bushes are not just cactus but full on mesquite! Luckily I have a spare pair which may have already had new bushes pressed in, otherwise that's a job for the near future.

Only other issue so far is that the rear height corrector seems to be on strike, not letting the system lower under the influence of the central lever. May be a dodgy linkage, dirty internals or a number of other causes. First fun part will be finding the little divil! To that end, lunchtime reading will be the factory manual while munching a (healthy) pie.

More news as it comes to hand!

Will Egbert the Wonder Hamster reach the beleaguered garrison in time to save their reputations?

Will Postlethwaite reveal his true feelings to his commanding officer?

Only time, and the script writers, will tell.

Now Read On!

Cheers, Pottsy.
    They don't go to "low" from memory. the lever only allows for normal ride height -> high. The rears are usually just blocked up with black sludge.... a quick clean is all that is needed

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Today has been a heap of fun, leavened with the odd bit of frustration.

If anyone ever tells me (again) that Minis are hard to work on, they'd better brace themselves for a spray! They at least don't hide bolts in inaccessible places!

Taking the front panels off a GS should be pretty easy you'd reckon. After all, they all need to come off to do cam belts so surely they've been off before. The answer to that is yes, but why were some of the bolts swapped for ones with different head sizes? Along the front of the bumper panel there were 11 (normal), 12 and 13mm headed bolts in a random sequence!

And then, having sussed out all of that, there are just two more left to get to. You guessed it, almost impossible to see, let alone access!

Ah well, if I wanted an easy life I wouldn't play with Citroens I suppose.

The list of things to do is, as expected, getting bigger.

The spare lower arms I have appear to be good, or certainly a lot better than the ones on the car, so I think I can sort that out.

The alternator bearings are noisy as a a bunch of football supporters, but that's no big deal to replace them.

One of the cam belt tensioners has a bit of movement in it, but a whole new kit of belts and tensioners is going in.

The cooling fan is looking a little sad, so I probably should source a new one I think. Sadly it's about 10mm larger diameter than a 2CV one, naturally, because I've got one of those!

Interestingly, the RH headlamp is a "kangaroo" type with the extra H1 driving light built in. And it's in excellent condition. The LH unit is cracked and will be replaced, but it's an ordinary one with no driving light. Bonus time. One of my spares is, you guessed it, a LH "kangaroo" style in good usable condition! Woohoo.

Can anyone enlighten me whether these were Pallas only or maybe an option?

So the day was not completely wasted.

Pictures when I'm feeling enthused and have the time.

And Shane, once I released the pressure on the regulator everything settled normally, so all good. The way everyone talks about how these jiggers drive has got me eager to get this little lady on the road!

Cheers, Pottsy.
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

the gent who sold me my DSpecial also had a GS and he siad he wouldn't swap it for anything.

If I recall correctly there were three height notches.
    The twin headlights were by ’Morette’ in France - here I dunno but not necessarily Pallas.
    grandC4picasso RHB, [email protected] , EGS6Sp, B58, MY 2012-2013 (?)

I'm sure my 1974 GS 1220 Club came with these dual reflector headlights as standard. As I recall, they were the high beams, not additional driving lights. I thought this arrangement was necessary because dual filament halogen bulbs weren't available when the GS was introduced. Later, after a crash, they were replaced with the single reflector, dual filament ones.

Fellow Frogger!

Default Some answers

Pottsy

The rear height corrector sits on top of the fuel tank. It should probably be cleaned anyway

Getting those lower arms back in requires some brute force. Just ask for a hand if you need it

We have an engine with a good fan on it if you want the fan. No charge to an enthusiast!

Ps. Gsa is back on the road. Itís a long story!

Pete

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread Information