• Register
  • Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By seasink
  • 1 Post By bluey504
  • 1 Post By seasink

Thread: C5 X7 rear brake disc & pads recommendations

Default C5 X7 rear brake disc & pads recommendations

I'll be up for new rear pads and rotors soon for my 2010 C5 Comfort 2.0 HDi (RHH engine). It has done about 168,000km (who knows how any pads and rotors it has had already, have just bought the car) and you can see there's not much meat left on the pads and the rotors appear to have worn quite a bit; there a ridge on the the outer edge (is that eniough of a rule-of-thumb sign that replacement is needed or should I measure rotor thickness?)

I don't want or need OE. There are a few choices on eBay for about $200 all up (set of pads and rotors), although I wouldn't necessarily buy those. Any recommendations on brands, and has anyone tried dust-free pads with any success?

Advertisement

Edit: Sorry just checked. Not available for C5 :-(

REMSA UC (Ultra Ceramic) Pads & REMSA rotors
    Use in combination for the best longevity
    Highly recommended from experience on several cars
    No dust
    No fade (not really going to on the back anyways)
    Great feel
    Work cold or hot
    Reasonable price
    Excellent performance

1000+ Posts

It isn't a difficult job if you have the tools, to rewind the handbrake/piston, and a Torx socket for the caliper. Online is probably the cheapest way to get a Chinese rewind tool, as Euro trade ones cover too many cars and are expensive.

Have you priced the discs and pads locally, eg EAI at Thornleigh? Postage of heavy stuff is expensive. Original discs have an anti-rustng coating over the non-friction part, while some, like Italian LPR, are plain iron. Both types work just the same. There's a how-to account here in AF.

I see the point about brake dust, but it's the fronts that get really dirty.
    Sans_sagesse likes this.

I find the anti-rust coatings are just OK with normal driving but a quick spirited drive and they evaporate as fast A; A pollies promise, B; Regretful Four Pillars Bankers and C; Than a Cold Beer on a Hot Day.
    Just my worth.
    Brendan.
    Sans_sagesse likes this.

The EAI rotors are quite ok. The anti-rust coated ones we've had from them are painted with silver heat proof paint. works great and lasts for years.
    From past experience have found the EAI pads to be less than good. Their entry range has squeaked on 3 cars, whilst their premium ones are nothing special in way of performance, but would be OK on the rear though. But they are very dusty leaving wheels black.

1000+ Posts

Do you remember the brands of pads you used? I've used Valeo from EAI without trouble on the C5.
    UFO likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    Do you remember the brands of pads you used? I've used Valeo from EAI without trouble on the C5.
    Not sure what pads the C5 has. Haven't worn them out yet :-)
    Had the base Valeo from eai pads on peugeots and a renault, all 3 squeaked and/or squealed. Their premium pads were ok though, just dusty and faded (front).

1000+ Posts

Squealing often comes down to how they are fitted - do they grab briefly and release creating a vibration? Arrissing them helps.

Make sure you locate the handbrake cables correctly after the job is done otherwise it can become very expensive. Also you can leave the car without the handbrake coming on by releasing it with just the ignition on if you didnít know already.

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
    Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
    Fix it right the first time

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    Squealing often comes down to how they are fitted - do they grab briefly and release creating a vibration? Arrissing them helps.
    thanks, but the my comments about eai/valeo pads relate to vehicles in the distant past.
    have been using the remsa ceramic pads successfully for many years now; - great performance, no dust, zero noise.

Thanks all for the suggestions.

Will probably just go to EAI or Dapco for both pads and rotors. It seems that EBC have low-dust C5 pads in the UK, but not available from the local distributor.

I've seen the how-to guide, v useful but I'm hoping that I don't have to bleed the brakes to release the caliper... I can cope with that, just seems another layer of time on the job.

Although a bit apprensive about the elec park brake, at least I have the guide here and a rip-off of the (not all that useful) factory service manual.

The brake pads on my wife's C5 X7 hardly emit any dust, mine are terrible, front and rear. I'm fussing about brake dust only at the rears because now is the time... I'll do the same with low-dust fronts when they are due for replacement.

1000+ Posts

Don't undo the brake hose from the caliper, and be especially careful to disable the hand brake. If it goes off unattached it de$troy$ itself. When you wind in the pistons, keep an eye on the rising level in the fluid reservoir.

Fellow Frogger

The factory pads do seem to create a fair amount of dust, but aren't always prone to squealing. Hosing the dust away regularly can help reduce squeal and sometimes cutting a slot in the pad face can help too.

Some models you need to wind the pistons back in the same direction, while others you need both left and right hand thread tools. Check the windback direction before you inadvertently pop the piston out. I suspect C5 may be opposite directions left and right.

If you want to be really sure about the electric handbrake, disconnect the battery.

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    Some models you need to wind the pistons back in the same direction, while others you need both left and right hand thread tools. Check the windback direction before you inadvertently pop the piston out. I suspect C5 may be opposite directions left and right.

If you want to be really sure about the electric handbrake, disconnect the battery.
    I've had to park this job for a couple weeks, too much work happening now and I'm not driving the car vey much anyway, so not worried about running out of pad material. Also want to research some more about low-dust pads, I'm not getting any joy there at the moment.

My plan was to revisit all the pad/rotor replacement guides (there were a few when I Googled it) and the factory repair manual before I start. I read somewhere that the tool for replacing angle grinder discs was the right size for winding in the calipers. I thought it was clockwise to wind in for both sides.. but will check.

Yes there's chat somewhere, I think in the factory manual, about waiting 15min after ign off for the ECU to remember settings then disconnect the battery. It looks like the C5 has a clever quick connect +ive battery cable end too. I really don't want to work out what to do when the park brake engages with the calipers removed...

Thanks to CC1701, I now have a local source for not only low-dust pads, but also some rotors to suit my C5. I have never heard of Fremax rotors, but people out in internet land say that they are Brazilian and an adequate replacement for OE (adequate is my word, they said words to that effect). Good prices, too. Who would've thought to buy parts for a French car at a place called Japanese Auto Parts? I'll report back once I've fitted the new brakes and used them for a while. If they are good, I'm tempted to change the fronts before they're due...

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Fremax-R...81fc%7Ciid%3A1

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Remsa-Ul...81fc%7Ciid%3A1
    Last edited by Sans_sagesse; 6th February 2019 at 04:46 PM.

UFO

FWIW - the last set of disks I put on the front of the C5 were Borg and Beck and I used Valeo pads. Followed the instructions re cleaning the anti rust film off the disks before fitting, made sure Mrs UFO knew to allow them to bed in and they have been perfect 15,000 km or so later. Dust levels have been quite acceptable. The last disks were Valeo (I think) and had warped - or at least one. Wasn't worth getting them machined.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Thread Information