• 1 Post By gilberthenry
  • 1 Post By jaahn
  • 1 Post By faulksy
  • 1 Post By citroenthusiast
  • 2 Post By IDear

Thread: height Corrector seal bursts

Fellow Frogger!

Default height Corrector seal bursts

I replaced the front Height Corrector as the seal split resulting with the leakage of Brake Fluid (early LHS ID).
    This is happening soon after I fit a cleaned 2nd hand one. It seems to be the result of excess fluid pressure.
    After another one failed, I again fitted a cleaned out Height Corrector and this time it held. but the suspension was very firm .... so not a good ride.
    I removed the wheel and shield and with the engine running and wondering what to do next .... BANG, the seal and fastening ring were blown off and with that, the suspension lost its firmness and was as it should be but only in the front. The rear had no softness in the suspension.
    As a number of Height Correctors have blown; I'm wondering if the pressure build-up is caused by a blocked pipe.
    Using an air gun, I have satisfied myself that the return hose is clear as I can hear the air coming into the tank when inserting the air gun into the return pipe at the Height Corrector.
    It has been a big job to get all the muck out of the system as a result of it running on Canola Oil. Even fitting a new tank recently, to clean up that part of the system.
    I can see that I need to learn a lot more about the workings of the Height Corrector but I suspect that something else is causing this problem.
    Any thoughts on this issue would be appreciated
    Michael

Advertisement

Tadpole

The high pressure return line out of the height corrector may be clogged. There is a restrictor wire in the line which can catch debris. When I had a problem with a stiff front suspension, I removed the line from the car, flushed it and blew air through it, in reverse direction, and a piece of old rubber seal came out.
    Michael
    kenlin and JustinJapan1964 like this.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks for the reply Michael. You mention the high pressure return line. Is that the plastic pipe that connects to the short metal tube that screws into the upper part of the Height Corrector ?
    I have blown this one through, as mentioned but I wouldn't call it a high pressure line.
    Is one of the other "steel" lines, the high pressure return line ?
    Thanks .... Michael

Fellow Frogger!

This is the car that Michael just returned from Nelson in - - and having the height corrector problem.

John
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails height Corrector seal bursts-michaels-safari-62-citin2018.jpg   height Corrector seal bursts-michaels-safari-citin2018.jpg   height Corrector seal bursts-miuchael-62-slough-safari.jpg  
    Attached Images Attached Images
    gsowner84 likes this.

1000+ Posts

Hi
    Would this description help ?
    Citro√ęn DS/ID and XM Web-Site
    Jaahn
    Hey John how did you get those images on there ??
    kenlin likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

From my understanding, the heigh correctors have a high pressure feed, a high pressure return and a low pressure return.

The high pressure return is one of the 2 steel lines coming out of the top of the corrector. The nylon tube I think is a leakage return from the dashpot that connects the two sides of the corrector.
    Hotrodelectric likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks Faulksy. The steel line on the right top is the one to attend to. I'll see where it goes and do what MICHAELCOX suggests.
    Michael

Fellow Frogger! citroenthusiast's Avatar

When you cleaned out the height correctors, did you remove and clean the disks in the restrictor passage? It seems to me that the only way to develop significant pressure underneath the rubber seal is if the restrictor passage has become occluded (unless the corrector itself has so much internal leakage that the overflow return cannot accommodate the flow). The disks themselves have only a 0,5mm opening, so they will easily become plugged if you have a lot of muck in the system.
    Cheers,
    John T.

54 11BL; 61DS19 LHM (son's); 71DS21 BVH; 73SM 3.0; 73SM 2.7EFI; 73SM 3.0 (other son's); 74 Maserati Merak

That diagram doesn't seem to show the channel with the dampers between the sides or the leakage return line??

Cheers, Ken

Fellow Frogger!

Yes, Citroenthusiast, you are quite right. In a Dec 2010 CCCV newsletter, Dave Rogers gives a detailed account of the "workings" of the Height Corrector. This gave me confidence to disassemble this intricate piece of Citroen ingenuity.
    But on reassembly I realized that these really require a very clean hydraulic system to operate efficiently.
    Putting a cleaned up height corrector on my '64 Heidelberg ID has given amazing results. With the engine running, a firm push down on the rear boot (you call it something else over in the USA), a short pause and the height corrector reasserts the height.
    The '62 Slough Safari has never had the required response when pushing down on the rear. I have given the rear Corrector that little bit of free play with the adjustment but still ... no response.
    Both cars were running on Canola. Fine when first added but after a short time, with the detioration of rubber parts and the thickening of the fluid it frankly is a disaster.
    So with the Slough Safari still containing pockets of "muck", I have cleaned up some very early height correctors that don't have the dash-pot containing those tiny discs with the half pinhole holes.
    Having these pressure problems, I have thought that something else could be the problem and that's where I'm at!
    I'll certainly fine tune the system once I get it in working condition and once again, if
    YOU'R ID IS RUNNING ON CANOLA OIL ...... empty the system, flush it, fill it with brake fluid and keep renewing it. This will save you years of problems and ultimately save the car.
    Michael

Fellow Frogger!

Hey John how did you get those images on there ??[/QUOTE]

Through attachments and so-on - - only that the images that I'm taking and processing now, re the last one, Warnanbool, come up as an icon that needs to be clicked, so that part I haven't worked out yet. I am no computer whizz but just get by.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Ken W View Post
    That diagram doesn't seem to show the channel with the dampers between the sides or the leakage return line??

Cheers, Ken
    The restrictor channel and leakage return are in an orthogonal plane. Here is the other cross secction:

Heigh Corrector Xsec2.jpg
    Cheers,
    John T.

54 11BL; 61DS19 LHM (son's); 71DS21 BVH; 73SM 3.0; 73SM 2.7EFI; 73SM 3.0 (other son's); 74 Maserati Merak

Fellow Frogger!

The pipe connecting the high pressure return from the front height corrector back to the tank seemed to be unblocked; as the sound of air coming out into the tank, could be heard with the use of an air gun.
    To be sure that there was not a blockage, I undid a section of the return pipe and put one in that hadn't been affected by Canola Oil
    I then removed the blown height corrector and reinstalled the pre'60 (no dash-pot) height corrector that had the ID running in a firm suspension manner.
    Then I checked that the rear height connector had an unblocked pipe going forward to the tank. Again, I could hear the air coming out when testing with the air gun.
    On starting the engine and bleeding the system I didn't expect in any improvement from the firm suspension as I hadn't really found the problem.
    With the front and rear coming up to driving height, I pushed down on the front and SURPRISE ... SURPRISE the front was working perfectly as the suspension should. What had I done? I'd replaced a section of pipe that would have been squeaky clean but the old section was clear before using the airgun, but I'd done the replacement to be SUPER SURE. The replaced height corrector was on the car when the front and rear were riding firm.
    Now to the rear of the Safari, pushing down and as before, very firm with no up and down movement.
    So that's where I am at the moment. That height corrector in the rear has not been touched since the car was performing normally.
    I wondered if a blockage might still be the problem, so with the engine still running I completely undid the high pressure return pipe on the rear height corrector. Only a small amount of fluid coming out until I pushed down on the height lever. This resulted in high pressure fluid GUSHING out. All this time there was no change in the firmness of the rear end
    The front is fixed ................... what's wrong with the back?
    Before I remove the rear height corrector I'll attempt to clear any Pipes that might be blocked from the rear with the airgun.
    Oh to have grown up as a Citroen Mechanic. It wouldn't be so much of a mystery.
    Could I be getting closer to solving this problem ....... Michael

The exhaust (what you refer to as the high pressure return) only has a substantial amount of fluid in it when you move the suspension to a lower setting, so what you describe is a properly functioning height corrector.

If the suspension moves up and down but is rock hard, did you check to make sure that the spheres themselves are not ruptured and full of fluid?
    kenlin likes this.
    Cheers,
    John T.

Like the man says ------ check sphere pressure and repair as necessary.
    Cheers Gerry

Fellow Frogger!

SUCCESS ...... "Like the man says-- check sphere pressure and repair as necessary" Until you mentioned it, Citroenthusiast ................ well, it's the "bloody obvious" isn't it ! Yes you were correct, the (our) passenger side rear sphere was blown and the Driver's side rear sphere was very low with pressure. I had two regassed spheres which I installed and VOILA ...... instant success. Two days ago I was not a happy Citroenist but now all has changed. Took the '62 Slough Safari for a run and it's back to "driving through the clouds" with the experience of a bad road surface becoming a distant memory. I kneel before you and say THANKYOU. Dissecting the information from my scant of knowledge descriptions of the attempts to solve these mysteries .... and giving me the advice I can work with. Also. I must thank Aussiefrogs for the opportunity to have contact with more knowledgeable people than myself. Thanks again ..... Michael Paas PS - Over there in the USA, a car boot is called a Trunk
    kenlin and citroenthusiast like this.

Good news to hear Michael! Sometimes it is easy to over analyse things and ignore the obvious!
    Cheers Gerry

Thread Information