DS23 electrickery
  • Register
  • Help

Default DS23 electrickery

IMG_1549151684.897373.jpg

I’m trying to tidy up some wiring from a new (to me) DS23. I’m not sure what this is - it looks important and oem. Can’t see it on a wiring diagram

Advertisement

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs

Quote Originally Posted by Secretsenor View Post
    IMG_1549151684.897373.jpg

I’m trying to tidy up some wiring from a new (to me) DS23. I’m not sure what this is - it looks important and oem. Can’t see it on a wiring diagram

It might help if you let us know exactly where it is, it doesn't look original to the car to me but what is the spec of your car? Carby/Injection, a/c?

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Ballast resister for coil my guess

Fellow Frogger!

Looks like a aftermarket Ballast resistor to me, is it atached to thr coil?
    Woody

Fellow Frogger!

I hadn,t seen dee see,s post when I posted mine otherwise I would have acknowledged it

Quote Originally Posted by dee see View Post
    Ballast resister for coil my guess
    Quote Originally Posted by brian woodcock View Post
    Looks like a aftermarket Ballast resistor to me, is it atached to thr coil?
    Woody
    Yup, that's what it is. . .

Original Ducellier coil would have one fitted on the side.

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

Fellow Frogger!

I,ve always been a bit sceptical about the use of a Ballasted coil on a D (particularly when no advantage is taken of it).Made worse with the use of rusty terminals on the Ducellier one. For myself I prefer a simple unballasted Bosche coil.
    Woody

Thanks again...

I,ve always been a bit sceptical about the use of a Ballasted coil on a D (particularly when no advantage is taken of it).Made worse with the use of rusty terminals on the Ducellier one. For myself I prefer a simple unballasted Bosche coil.
    Woody
    I think the Bosch terminals are prone rust in the same way a Ducellier would

You are probably right in the advantage of a resistor would be marginal but Citroen saw such advantage at the time. I've had it explained but not something I've retained, something to do with the coil supplying a full 12v on start up and then the coil running at 9v so cooler and less impact on points?

I'll be running 123 ignition on my car so a mute point (pardon the pun). . .

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks for your comments Chris.I have a number of Bosche coils, some have brass terminals, some steel!! The original purpose of a Ballast is to compensate for the diminished battery voltage when cranking, this can be done by shorting out the Ballast while cranking.
    While I have a 123 Ign on my 2CV on my D I have had a Powerspark for many years. However, taking an interest in such things. I notice that is has an ON voltage of 1.6 volts which is not great, I am currently dealing with this issue.

Thanks for your comments Chris.I have a number of Bosche coils, some have brass terminals, some steel!! The original purpose of a Ballast is to compensate for the diminished battery voltage when cranking, this can be done by shorting out the Ballast while cranking.
    While I have a 123 Ign on my 2CV on my D I have had a Powerspark for many years. However, taking an interest in such things. I notice that is has an ON voltage of 1.6 volts which is not great, I am currently dealing with this issue.
    There is some interesting reading on ballast coils, one comment read recently was that after starting the alternator now supplies voltage and can be as high as 13 - 14v. The ballast works to keep voltage at around 9v again keeping the coil from overheating? My knowledge is very limited here so tend to keep things as they were.

Good luck with the Powerspark, you'll work through it

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Fellow Frogger!

Hi again Chris. I stand by what I said about the Ballast. It is true what you say about the charging voltage, it has always been so,The designers of Coils take that into consideration. However it is unusual to get the full 14 V at the coil due to various voltage drops along the way. Looking at a Ballasted Bosche coil the total resistance (coil plus Ballast) is the same as the resistance of an unballasted one so the latter will get a bit warmer. However I suspect the 123 Ign produces a constant dwell time which will keep the coil cooler!
    Woody

I have the 123 ignition in my D and I’m suspecting the coil isn’t keeping up. Is there a generally recommended coil upgrade?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bosch-00012...6777037?_ul=AU

Is a coil a coil so long as it’s ballasted and 12v?

Recommendation I have from ted cross is “Beru model coil - ZS563 or Bosch 0221119027 are the recommended coils for 123”.

Reading through the above. Can I bypass the resistor with a 123 ignition and new bosche coil?

Sent from my iPad using aussiefrogs

Fellow Frogger!

I feel compelled at this point to correct my previous misspelling of BOSCH. Apologies to all.
    Woody

Whoops Agreed

Thread Information