• Help
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Sans_sagesse
  • 1 Post By harrisson_citroen
  • 3 Post By jaahn

Thread: Selling a car

Fellow Frogger!

Default Selling a car

Apologies up front, as this has nought to do with Citroens. My 90 year old neighbour has lost his licence after a small bingle, and has asked me to sell his (now) unregistered 1985 Mazda 626 on his behalf. The car is actually in reasonable shape for its age, but I have told him he will be lucky to get a few hundred bucks at best. Can anyone advise the best way to dispose of an unregistered, no RWC, 35 year old vehicle? When we lived in the US there was a great scheme where you could claim a tax deduction on the donation of a car to a registered charity - pretty sure no such scheme exists here...

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by ajaxvte View Post
    Apologies up front, as this has nought to do with Citroens. My 90 year old neighbour has lost his licence after a small bingle, and has asked me to sell his (now) unregistered 1985 Mazda 626 on his behalf. The car is actually in reasonable shape for its age, but I have told him he will be lucky to get a few hundred bucks at best. Can anyone advise the best way to dispose of an unregistered, no RWC, 35 year old vehicle? When we lived in the US there was a great scheme where you could claim a tax deduction on the donation of a car to a registered charity - pretty sure no such scheme exists here...
    Please don't assume it is worth a few hundred dollars... it could be worth a few thousand dollars. An '85 626 isn't a collectors item but people are paying good money for clean 30+ yr-old cars. If it is low-ish km, clean, generally tidy except the bingle it could be worth $1500-$3500 at a guess. It all depends on general condition and the amount of the recent damage.
    Dano likes this.

I don't know if it is worth this much, but as a reference...
    https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/bell...dan/1207047003

Thank God for my Hydroen harrisson_citroen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sans_sagesse View Post
    Please don't assume it is worth a few hundred dollars... it could be worth a few thousand dollars. An '85 626 isn't a collectors item but people are paying good money for clean 30+ yr-old cars. If it is low-ish km, clean, generally tidy except the bingle it could be worth $1500-$3500 at a guess. It all depends on general condition and the amount of the recent damage.
    Yes indeed, I never thought old japanese cars were worth much at all, till my son who partakes in drifting started bringing home 30 yo corollas and old lexus which they use in competition and now fetch good money. Not sure about Mazdas but I would also say 2-3000 if in clean working condition, would probably be snapped up as a second or third car by someone to go to work and do the shopping with....
    Dano likes this.
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

1000+ Posts

Default Hmmm

Hi
    In your dreams springs to my mind !!
    But like anything if you think you can get a good price then you have to do several things to sell a car.
    1 do you home work about THAT SPECIFIC CAR, not some general statement about old Jap cars !
    2 prepare it for sale to the percieved market. EG clean shiny undamaged registered or ready as a buyer expects.
    3 advertise appropriately so the few big money buyers will actually see it for sale.
    Otherwise you are wasting your time and effort IMHO because the market is not very big.
    Jaahn
    PS It has been my experience that trying to sell an unregistered car as a cheap driver is almost impossible. At the very least you will need to offer it inspected and ready for rego to make it easy for the buyer. Or they just look for another easier option.
    Last edited by jaahn; 3rd February 2019 at 11:19 AM.
    COL, driven and Trading Estate like this.

You can buy reasonable clunkers about 10 -15 years old on Grays for $3-400. Friend of mine bought a very reasonable '05 Renault Megane with 115 ks for $450 (un reg no RWC)
    '04 Megane
    Gone but not forgotten
    '71 16 TS, '72 16 TL, '74 15TS,'82 20TS Series 2, '85 25 GTX. '49 L15,

Fellow Frogger

That would be the model also sold as a Ford Telstar? I knew someone who drove one so badly it was known as 'The Deathstar'.

There are organisations who will take a donated car and then auction it for charity. From memory there was a homeless charity associated with Manheim. They probably collect. If you want more, then try Gumtree or eBay to move it along. It's value may also depend on the body style. Mazda had a few styles and the rounded off facelift looked less bowling club than the earlier, quite square mid-80's model.

Here's food for thought, apparently from a dealer in WA:
    (Edit: It's actually a 929 - vendor got it wrong.)
    Asking $6K. Low miles 60K car complete with an obvious accessory some Peugeot fanciers seem to crave.

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    That would be the model also sold as a Ford Telstar? I knew someone who drove one so badly it was known as 'The Deathstar'.

There are organisations who will take a donated car and then auction it for charity. From memory there was a homeless charity associated with Manheim. They probably collect. If you want more, then try Gumtree or eBay to move it along. It's value may also depend on the body style. Mazda had a few styles and the rounded off facelift looked less bowling club than the earlier, quite square mid-80's model.

Here's food for thought, apparently from a dealer in WA:
    Asking $6K. Low miles 60K car complete with an obvious accessory some Peugeot fanciers seem to crave.
    That's the same car I saw... it could be what it is worth... or not.
    My point was that you can no longer assume a car is worth only a few hundred when it reaches around 30 years. Sure, I don't think an '85 626 would be a collector's item but as Jaahn said, do some research and you'd soon find out.

Fellow Frogger!

It's a Classic car! In NSW, 30 years qualifies as such (Vic =25 years). If the new owner joins a classic car club and it is made roadworthy, then $46 (NSW) provides 12 months conditional registration and CTP insurance. That allows 60 days of personal use (log book) plus any club activity is additional to those 60 days. I have noticed in NSW after 30 years of age motorcycle prices begin to increase (I have a Moto Guzzi on conditional registration)- cars may likewise. That covers the whole year of Sunday outings/picnics plus some.Perhaps we Citroen drivers don't appreciate old Mazda's (I had a 1970 Mazda 1800 in the day). Nostalgia (and baby boomers) are driving the classic market... a first car, first romantic kiss... maybe the family had one. The point is the make is unimportant its the memories that makes cars classics IMO.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Sans_sagesse View Post
    I don't know if it is worth this much, but as a reference...
    That car is actually a Mazda 929.

As referenced in another post, the Mazda 626 was twinned by Ford as the Telstar in Australia.

Also the 1985 Mazda 626 was front wheel drive, so is not desirable by the Drifting Fraternity.

That is not to discredit the venerable 1985 Mazda 626.

We had one for many years and it did some hard yards as a family hauler, including trips interstate.

For what it's worth I've got a new clutch cable, most of a top end gasket set and workshop manual in the shed if needed.

These days such a car is probably best advertised on Gumtree.

The higher spec models had full electrics, including adjustable damper settings.

All the best with the sale.

Quote Originally Posted by philipjh View Post
    That car is actually a Mazda 929.
    OMG, you're right! I should have noticed that, despite not really being into Japanese cars even I know the difference between the 929 and 626. My brother had two 626s of that era and loved them.

Even a Holden Camira will pull $2K+ these days if it's a tidy, low-km example.

Fellow Frogger

Ahhh, indeed. The vendor has got it wrong and I didn't look closely enough, just assuming it was the pre-facelift version of that series.

Even if the price asked is only 626/929ths, we still have an expectation of more than a few hundred for it.

The positive with the 90yo neighbour's car is that it's obviously been owned by the same person for many years and will be in much better shape that one that has been through 10 sets of owners.

Also see: https://www.manheim.com.au/damaged-v...kidsundercover
    It will likely make $50 via this method, but that goes entirely to a charity.

Thread Information