• Help
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By dmccurtayne
  • 1 Post By DeKa
  • 1 Post By David S
  • 1 Post By peterbro

Thread: C5 X7 2.0 HDi replacement Febi-Bilstein dipstick issues

Default C5 X7 2.0 HDi replacement Febi-Bilstein dipstick issues

I replaced the original dipstick in my 2010 X7 RHH HDi as the end of the dipstick had broken off. Apparently this is a common problem with PSA dipsticks.
    I bought a new replacement Febi-Bilstein dipstick off eBay just before Xmas. The fibreglass (? I am not sure) outer sheath broke in two places leaving the inner steel mesh core exposed and the stick was rather... limp. Looked like it was ready to break where the fibreglass came off too.
    I got a replacement dipstick from the seller and it is doing the same thing.
    Anyone else had this problem? Not delighted about the material from the broken dipsticks going into the sump (although there can't be much of it I suppose).

Advertisement

Thank God for my Hydroen harrisson_citroen's Avatar

Same problem here last year. Went to check the oil level to find the bottom yellow bit gone. The consensus here and in France where I made enquiries is that it is a common occurrence and can't do any harm in the sump as there is a steel mesh filtering the intake of the oil pump.
    I have replaced it with the same model, hoping this one will last ()
    The guys in France replace the dipstick with another model made of steel from a different Citroen model, but they have to adjust the markings for it to be a true representation.
    Can find out the details if you need.
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

1000+ Posts

It would appear as though the psa one lasts at least 8 years and the bilsteine one has cone into limp mode in a couple of months ,try cullens of nambour for an original replacement ,,if the price is right buy two ,you will be set for the life of the car

Buy it from your local dealer also the dipstick tube is easy to remove to get the bit out if you feel the need

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
    Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
    Fix it right the first time

Yep I'm going to buy OEM. The Febi part was $35, so the Citroen's will be what? $70? What's a good guess?

Like 40 or 50 to late for me to check I didnít think the febi parts are that dear. Need to find measurements from top to low and high levels and use the metal rfn 307 ones. Confession time mines been broken for 2 years put 5.2 in at the oil change wife wouldnít check it anyway

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
    Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
    Sans_sagesse and jaahn like this.

1000+ Posts

Genuine dipstick for RHH is $30 or so from EAI.

Quote Originally Posted by DeKa View Post
    Genuine dipstick for RHH is $30 or so from EAI.
    EAI is not usually a source of genuine Citroen parts. Are you sure it's not aftermarket?

1000+ Posts

It came in what looked to be a genuine PSA Peugeot Citroen plastic bag. Either the bag was fake or the part was genuine.. Iím not sure. Either way it was exactly the same as the broken one (plus it had a full tip not a partial one!)
    UFO likes this.

Quick note for anyone wanting to buy a Febi replacement dipstick. Unless Febi-Bilstein's manufacturing methods change, do not buy one. The fibreglass shaft snaps and if you don't get to it in time it'll drop into the sump in sections because it has come apart. Luckily it didn't happen to me. Amazon had some bad reviews saying the same thing. It's a known shoddy product. Happy to be proven wrong -- maybe Febi has changed its manufacturing processes?

Eai sells genuine things that are shit aftermarket and the stuff you can get away with from other places

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE

Fellow Frogger

Was it posted tightly bent in a padded bag? That can cause the shaft to delaminate and splinter. It really wants a recalibrated metal version.

You do have to be cautious of aftermarket specials that claim to be genuine but aren't. I have seen faked parts masquerading as the real thing in genuine looking packaging with labels that don't make sense. Like a breather hose that I expected to be non-gen (wasn't actually a serviced part), but still turned up marked with a non-existent part number and in packaging that suggested it was a 'jeu de segments'. Dumb stuff, but superficially looking legit.
    jaahn likes this.

1000+ Posts

No, in a long cardboard tube with caps in each end.

Fellow Frogger

I meant the one that broke for the OP. Good yours came in a mailing tube, but the factory supplies in a long bag, which is handy as a boot for PSA steering rams! The shaft of the Febi part isn't as robust as the factory item, but a little care is needed when using either of them. Don't pull either of them out in some kind of curved action and they'll last longer.

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    I meant the one that broke for the OP. Good yours came in a mailing tube, but the factory supplies in a long bag, which is handy as a boot for PSA steering rams! The shaft of the Febi part isn't as robust as the factory item, but a little care is needed when using either of them. Don't pull either of them out in some kind of curved action and they'll last longer.
    The first one sent to me was coiled. It broke at two points on the shaft. The replacement was sent uncoiled. It still broke at one point.IMG_2569.jpg

Default retrieving the broken bit

Got a PSA 1.6 hdi and have just extracted the second broken tip of the dipstick.

For some reason the tip doesn't go into the sump. and the extraction of the broken end is rather easy.

First time I did it was when I was changing the oil, and the second time I was able to do it with the sump full of oil.

I used some clear plastic tubing about 10mm internal (the longer the length the more protection for your vacuum cleaner) and had one end in the dipstick tube.
    The sump plug was still out and the oil filler cap off.

Then judicious intermittent loose connection of the other end to the vacuum suction hose.
    With the sump empty little oil enters the tubing and before you know up pops the broken tip.

My next attempt was more cautious as the oil was still in the sump, but filler cap off and the clear tubing rising 3-4 feet vertical above the dipstick tube.
    More oil entered the tube, and the sucking/repose more conservative allowing the oil to drain back down into the tube, and the tip finally pops into the plastic tube.

What can I say other than this simple technique works.
    jaahn likes this.

Thread Information