CX "Wallowing" - How to stiffen up suspension?
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By 4cvg
  • 2 Post By DoubleChevron
  • 1 Post By UFO
  • 3 Post By citroenut

Thread: CX "Wallowing" - How to stiffen up suspension?

Kenya, Africa; Kiev, Ukraine, and Albury, NSW

Default CX "Wallowing" - How to stiffen up suspension?

I have a CX 25 DTR Turbo, and I am not happy with it "wallowing" on the freeway at speed. If I go over a slight rise, it keeps "wallowing" a bit until it settles again. I suspect this is what many like and see as a soft ride. I would like a firmer ride and slightly more sporty feel.

Would I be better going for GTi "turbo" spheres for this purpose? I see it mentioned elsewhere that they have smaller damping holes.

And how much difference do the Series II anti-roll bars make to the handling and ride? Do they only influence the roll, or do they also influence the ride?
    I have a Series II parts car i can get the front and rear roll bars out of if they will make a difference. I also have a Series II TDR and it seems to handle better than my Series I. I often sit on 150-170 in the Series II in Europe, but I cannot do that in the Series I in Australia.

Advertisement

Everything else on the suspension seems to be operating correctly.

What can any of you advise?
    Shane

Hi, don't understand " wallowing ", do you mean wandering? Over inflated spheres will increase softer ride, check your sphere pressures .
    Rear suspension arm pivot bearings, when worn cause unstable swaying on undulating surfaces.
    Check with unloaded suspension for side play, there should be none.
    Hope this helps.
    Cheers

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

1000+ Posts

Anti-roll bars have no effect on ride if left & right wheels both hit the bump (say, a tranverse ridge in the road). It simply swivels.

If only one wheel hits the bump (say, a pothole) then the bar acts as an extra springing medium as it is torsionally twisted.
    Motorgnome likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by birks View Post
    Hi, don't understand " wallowing ", do you mean wandering?
    Rear suspension arm pivot bearings, when worn cause unstable swaying on undulating surface.

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk
    Sorry Birks, what I mean is that it bounces a couple of times before settling in again. Basically it is just too soft for my liking. The Series II is better, and I thought this was because of different damping, but now I see they all have the same spheres.

The rear suspension arm bearings are fine, there is no binding and they are smooth and effortless. Sphere pressures should be reasonable I feel, but I will get them all checked before long. But they are certainly not over inflated.

I am simply wondering if GTi spheres will give me this firmer ride with less bouncing at speed? Thanks for the confirmation on how the anti-roll bars work 4cvg, I suspected such was the case.
    Shane

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by meinkiev View Post
    Sorry Birks, what I mean is that it bounces a couple of times before settling in again. Basically it is just too soft for my liking. The Series II is better, and I thought this was because of different damping, but now I see they all have the same spheres.

The rear suspension arm bearings are fine, there is no binding and they are smooth and effortless. Sphere pressures should be reasonable I feel, but I will get them all checked before long. But they are certainly not over inflated.

I am simply wondering if GTi spheres will give me this firmer ride with less bouncing at speed? Thanks for the confirmation on how the anti-roll bars work 4cvg, I suspected such was the case.
    Pull the spheres off and check them. See if someone ( like me ) has accidently fitted the wrong sphere ... eg: GS sphere/accumulator ( ) on the back of the car.
    UFO and jaahn like this.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

UFO

A couple of videos from over 10 years ago

BX with wrong rear spheres

https://youtu.be/zcgQKMfzmlU

Correct spheres

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4H7ux0BzKQ

Maybe there is something in this for you?
    antonio likes this.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    Pull the spheres off and check them. See if someone ( like me ) has accidentally fitted the wrong sphere ...
    Thanks Shane, I never thought of that. I fitted the correct spheres to the front a couple of years ago, but the rears seemed okay at the time (that is they were soft with good travel), so I will do this. I certainly need to check the accumulator sphere anyway, so will check them all.

Thanks for the videos UFO, and it prompted me to video mine for you. I tried to attach it but was not able to. apparently it needs to be a YouTube video for me to do that? If someone can tell me how to attach my own video I will?

It appears quite normal to me. The back bounces a bit more than the front though. What I think is that if the back end is a little firmer it will settle the whole car down.
    Last edited by meinkiev; 23rd January 2019 at 12:22 AM.
    Shane

Mine is pretty soft but it doesn't rebound twice. My suspicion would be wrong spheres too. Might only be one of them? Just about to put new rears on myself!
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Fellow Frogger!

Typically mismatched front / rear spheres will make one or the other end of the car " wallow " or float. Failing rear spheres will cause the front to float as will failing front ones cause the rear to float sickenly. Mismatched damping will do much the same. Those who experiment mostly revert back to factory sets.
    Richard
    JohnW, antonio and UFO like this.

Thanks for all your help gentlemen. I will check for the correct spheres and pressures in the next week or so, and report back.
    Shane

Thank God for my Hydroen harrisson_citroen's Avatar

Talking about "wallowing", I followed this bmw a few days ago on the Sunshine Motorway, perfectly good surface, then the car starts wallowing in front of me. What the ?
    https://youtu.be/AbO8_C-PXss
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by harrisson_citroen View Post
    Talking about "wallowing", I followed this bmw a few days ago on the Sunshine Motorway, perfectly good surface, then the car starts wallowing in front of me. What the ?
    https://youtu.be/AbO8_C-PXss
    A few years ago we had a large Benz living locally that was completely rigid in the suspension and pointed to the sky as well. No doubt dead spheres and I suspect the owner didn't know any better.
    It is an interesting exercise to watch cars as people enter and leave their vehicles. Most BMWs do not move, ie no compression of springs when loaded...the ultimate driving machine experience.

Thread Information