Xantia year and month of manufacture?Can anyone help with this please?
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dave m

Thread: Xantia year and month of manufacture?Can anyone help with this please?

Tadpole

Default Xantia year and month of manufacture?Can anyone help with this please?

A prospective buyer wants to know if it qualifies for sale to the USA. I would like to part company with the old dear.

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

Ummm... look at the plate in the engine bay?? Or on the door panel??

The date of production is given by the car's ORGA number. Find it and use one of the online calculators to get the date. According to www.citroen-ds-id.com, on the Xantia it's on the bulkhead just in front of the right -front- suspension sphere (quasi below the front window). At that position one finds the color-code (a letter code) and, in smaller characters above that, the ORGA number.

Fellow Frogger

You can also enter the VIN into Citroen Service, find the RP/ORG/DAM number in 'Characteristics' and then convert to the build date. It's a day count upwards from 9 November 1976. The Xantia should show up correctly by VIN, but early XM, BX and older most likely won't or are not supported by the online parts system. Also, the guarantee start date isn't reliable for most older models, but can also be helpful as it suggests a sale date.

Tadpole

Thanks for the replies.It looks as if it's ok for being fully 25 y.o.

Tadpole

Hi ajm212, just out of curiosity,I wonder what you would make of the ORGA #7065 cj. The result I got was surprising.

Fellow Frogger

Built mid March 1996, which is a sensible date for an earlier Xantia.

Tadpole

There's the rub,it's registered as a 1994in Japan and Canada.I'm really confused.

Fellow Frogger

What is marked on the car? Do you see 7065 stencilled in the engine bay or on an A pillar? I will have a stamped build plate riveted on somewhere. In the boot or under the bonnet.

Maybe someone in the past told a porky to meet an earlier age requirement??? I recall some years ago seeing a supposedly '1981' private import Jaguar that was very obviously a 1985 model. That would have been to meet one of our import rules at the time it was imported as a used car.

Tadpole

Well David S,you have restored my faith in human nature. The numbers 7065 cj are stamped in the metal firewall on the upper right side. When I bought the car I was told that it was a 94 that went to Australia and wasn't sold,it then went to Japan and was first registered there in 96. I now think that some pork was involved. Thank you for your insight.
    jaahn likes this.

1000+ Posts

Hmm
    Yes pork indeed ! I had a Honda GB250 motor bike which had come up from Vic before I purchased it, and registered as a '84. An import so when first registered it would have complied with the 30 year rule for club rego. When I searched for spares it became obvious even to a non japanese speaker it was some years later. But I did not bother to change the date when transferring the rego as that would have incurred an engineers report to prove it. The original importers were known to be a bit dodgey and kept pigs out the back !
    Jaahn

Fellow Frogger

The Xantia was released about 1993/94, so the local model approval would have been given around 1994 and would then also appear on the vehicle documentation for later models that conformed to that basic model. For example I have an XM that shows the model as XM94A on the papers, but was in fact manufactured in 1996. That same XM facelift model variant was released and approved in 1994 but then sold for a few years after 1994 before a new type approval was required for the ES9 24V version. If it was originally acquired via Australia, this could be how your Xantia was taken to be a 1994 model despite the date of manufacture being later.

Where are Chevrons mounted at the front? In the grille or on the front of the bonnet. Only very early cars had the Chevrons on the bonnet.

Tadpole

The chevrons are in the grille. The Xantia that I have may be the only one in Canada and it was only a pipe dream about having a real successor to the D series {of which I had many} that prompted me to buy it. That dream started evaporating on day one as it is a completely different car in nearly every way. Citroens were not brought into Canada much if at all after 1975.

Thread Information