'64 Wheels road test of new ID19.
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Russell Hall

Thread: '64 Wheels road test of new ID19.

Fellow Frogger!

Default '64 Wheels road test of new ID19.

Whilst thumbing through some of my vintage mags, I stumbled on the Jan '64 Wheels road test of the new CitroŽn ID19. I hadn't been brainwashed at that time & was driving a '60 Renault 750, & although I probably bought the mag, it wasn't until buying it recently that I really read it.
    Whilst generally enthusiastic for ride & handling, a few items demonstrated the general ignorance of even motoring journalists then of CitroŽn technicalities. Notable is this " Brakes have also been improved on the the ID19 by the fitting of an Australian power booster & the use of the Goddess unique button brake pedal....."
    Australian power booster ? I must have missed this. I wonder where it was fitted ?
    Unusually, they ended up happy with the button brake, & praising " the outstandingly good good braking system in motion ' .
    Critical of the " vague and ill-placed gear lever that jutted from the centre of the dashboard " of the tractions, they praised the action of the column change whilst bemoaning the fact that it wasn't on the floor and there was no synchromesh on first.
    They were happy that " the CitroŽn now has an automatic advance-retard mechanism on the ignition system " instead of a manual control on the dashboard that went out with model T Fords !
    They thought that the $100 increase in purchase price was justified by the fitting of Michelin tyres as standard instead of local made tyres.
    Interesting reading.

Advertisement

Richard

1000+ Posts

If the car had an Australian brake booster it was most likely an Australian assembled model. Continental and General Distributors were assembling them in West Heidelberg at the rate of three cars every two days in the early 1960's. A job long remembered by the assemblers.
    JohnW likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Russell, the early ID 19s had a brake pedal & conventional master cylinder system unboosted, but with emergency boost from the high pressure suspension system. If the brake pedal travelled too far under heavy braking due to a fault or lack of pad wear adjust meant, fluid under high pressure was admitted to stop the car. Unfortunately, the valve which allowed this boost, could jam open resulting in copious quantities of brake fluid spurting out of the vent hole in the little reservoir, with disastrous consequences for any paint work nearby.
    The '64 cars with the mushroom brake button had the full power braking system from the suspension / steering hydraulics as for the DS19, but with the rear brakes powered via the rear suspension circuitry, rather than the DS brake valve trolley system, to achieve proportional front to rear load apportioning.
    No D series ever had " power assisted " brakes apart from that disastrous emergency override of the very early IDs.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by citroenut View Post
    Russell, the early ID 19s had a brake pedal & conventional master cylinder system unboosted, but with emergency boost from the high pressure suspension system. If the brake pedal travelled too far under heavy braking due to a fault or lack of pad wear adjust meant, fluid under high pressure was admitted to stop the car. Unfortunately, the valve which allowed this boost, could jam open resulting in copious quantities of brake fluid spurting out of the vent hole in the little reservoir, with disastrous consequences for any paint work nearby.
    The '64 cars with the mushroom brake button had the full power braking system from the suspension / steering hydraulics as for the DS19, but with the rear brakes powered via the rear suspension circuitry, rather than the DS brake valve trolley system, to achieve proportional front to rear load apportioning.
    No D series ever had " power assisted " brakes apart from that disastrous emergency override of the very early IDs.
    Yes ! and well described and factual. I believe some tried to plumb in a conventional vacuum booster to ease pedal pressure on the master cylinder equipped cars...successfully ????. Along with the mushroom brake button the 64 also received rod actuated accelerator pedal ( organ style ) with the rod passing under a sheet metal pressing on the floor instead of a suspended pendant pedal with a thin cable to the carburettor.

Thread Information