C3 rar seat size issue
  • Register
  • Help

Default C3 rar seat size issue

OK, Grandma's Taxi needs to be expanded in function to carrying three Grand Rugrats in the rear seat on occasion.

It appears that kiddie seats have become bigger and wider over the years. We've been comfortably accommodating two forward facing, recent model, seats using the lap-sash belts and the standard attachments behind the seat.

No problems with the safety of the installation, but it doesn't leave a heap of room between.

We now wish to fit three across and it seems well nigh impossible.

A pair of "Mother's Choice" seats just about fill the width. Thought we might be able to wriggle three together but it's just not on.

Advertisement

So has anyone out there managed to source some current standard kiddy seats that are somewhere around 30cm wide? The ones we have, or can source, are all a rather obese 42+ cm in width and just don't fit across.

Looks like we've found the answer to why families go from small sedans to SUV barges!

Any help will be gratefully received and carefully processed!

For info and comparison, Space across the C3 seat cushion is 125cm between the doors. This narrows down to 115 between C pillars at the height of the seat back, then 100 between the pillars a bit higher up, which is where all the modern seats have "ears" to cradle the kiddywinkies heads.

Cheers, Pottsy.

(Heading should say Car not rar, but I can't edit it!)
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

2018 C3 Shine ("Oscar" Mrs P's)
    1974 D Special Manual Sedan ("Moby Dick")
    2006 C5 HDI Wagon Auto ("Mephistopheles")
    1982 2CV6 ("Gaston") Seasoned traveller
    1975 GS Pallas ("GiSelle") Next project
    And for Fun, 1968 Mini Deluxe ("The R & D'luxe" 1078cc, Grin Factor 100!)

1000+ Posts

I've been there and tried that. Britax seats are 470 wide, but only two will fit in a DS3. It's made harder by the need to be fixed by isofix or seat belts. You will need a Picasso.

Fellow Frogger

Roof racks? Seems to work over in WA, at least until the public humiliation, police charges and trial by social media.

or ... get another set of rear door trims from a wreck and cut them to give a little additional width?

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

german isofix seats....

this is a poogoe 407 (that are staggeringly tiny inside) with the drivers seat as far back as it will go.

Aussie baby seats
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

That photo looks like a poorly set up car seat. There is supposed to be at least an inch of gap between the head of the baby seat and the back of the front seat. They look like they are touching in that photo, which would get a big fail from a professional baby seatbinstructor.

3 seats across in a C3? (Is this the old C3 or new? Probably not much in it...) I think you’re really going to struggle. I can’t think of a seat that’s only 30cm across - that’s very slimfit indeed!

Agreed, time to get that Picasso you’ve always wanted.

Are they all child seats you need, or a mix of baby rear facing, child seat and what about 5+yrs booster seats? What’s the agenof the Rugrats?

To be more precise with the problem you face, according to this website ( https://mommyhood101.com/fitting-thr...ts-in-the-back ) the slimmest seats on the market are 16-17 inches wide (most 17.) In the new money, 16” is 40.64 cm.

So three of the very slimmest on the market will presumably take up a minimum of 121.92cm width. You reckon you’ve only got 100cm to play with at the narrowest. I think you’re going to need to rethink this.

UNLESS there happen to be old car seats from ten+ years ago that are slimmer and you can source three of them. I don’t know. Little cars like C3’s just aren’t designed as cars for big families.

The good thing is, occasionally 5-seat Picassos appear second hand, and Grandma will LOVE to drive one. (It’s the exact car my parents bought to ferry around my children and they love it!)

Thread Information