When one C5 X7 isn't enough
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: When one C5 X7 isn't enough

Default When one C5 X7 isn't enough

I'm picking up another C5 today, identical spec to my car (RHH Comfort sdn) for my wife. We have been thinking of moving on her old 7-seater as it's really getting tired and the kids are too big to fit comfortably in the 3rd row now and generally are at the stage where they don't want to be seen with us anyway .

My wife drove my car and loved it so I started to think of maybe getting a Tourer for her when we saw this sedan in the right colour (my wife lcan love or hate the same car depending on colour!)

Time will tell if it was a good decision or not... she is not a car person and so filling the C5 diesel with petrol is on the list of my concerns. DIESEL ONLY stickers for the car are up there on the list of things to do (sigh).

Advertisement

Can you blame me for giving it a go though? The X7 most be one of the best quality and most reliable of modern Citroens (although some might argue that is not saying much!) I love mine, even though I haven't had it for very long. Worst case I'll move hers on if it doesn't suit I suppose.

The Diesel only fill up problem is easy to solve. I have the job of keeping all our cars fueled - it's a bit like taking the rubbish out. So I think you should just follow my example. Then she will not have the option of putting in the wrong fuel.

Cheers, Ken
    Sans_sagesse, JohnW and UFO like this.

Thank God for my Hydroen harrisson_citroen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sans_sagesse View Post
    (my wife lcan love or hate the same car depending on colour!) Not all that unusual......

The X7 most be one of the best quality and most reliable of modern Citroens
    And of many other brands........

Go for it! Excellent choice. I'm on my 4th C5, never disppointed. I've always updated not because of problems, but because the newer one were superior in quality and equipment.

2002 C5 Wagon my first

2006 Sedan Petrol 6 Speed

2008 Tourer HDI 6 Speed

2013 Exclusive HDI 6 speed ! The best!
    Sans_sagesse and UFO like this.
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

DS23 IE Pallas Automatique
    C5 X7 163 Exclusive
    C3 II 2010

we are lucky enough to also have 2 X7's. Both Exclusive trim Tourers, nearly identical specs and colors except for one is the 3.0 diesel V6 and the other is the 3.0 petrol V6.

C5 X7; - great car. great family lugger, amazing tourer, mostly comfortable, capable, safe, reliable (so far - touch wood), versatile; - hard to fault. So we have 2.

But i did see a C6 (see another thread) on car sales (right trim color & V6 hdi) that I'd love to have. However, the boss (wife) says its not a wagon and currently beyond our financial reach.

1000+ Posts

I can't see her loading fertilizer, cement or unwashed dogs into a C6. There's one often street parked near me. Drool....

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    I can't see her loading fertilizer, cement or unwashed dogs into a C6. There's one often street parked near me. Drool....
    yeah for some odd reason she declines such activities. thus no C6. But nice to dream, isn't it? I like them in darker colors anyway :-)

we do the same as Ken to avoid refueling mistakes. It falls to me to fill the cars, just a precaution.

so I started to think of maybe getting a Tourer for her
    Sounds like a fair swap.
    UFO likes this.

With all these C5s floating around I have to get onto sorting out a workshop manual and Lexia.

There are plenty of Lexia software/hardware interface sets on eBay but some mention that they don't work on the X7. I'll have to get a 32-bit Win XP laptop to use it. Any suggestions on the right Lexia? Some sellers mention theirs doesn't work on X7.

As for a w/shop manual, I tried to register at service citroen but no joy there. Any tricks to getting onto service citroen? PM me if you know. Otherwise I will have to buy the CD version on eBay, but it's not expensive.

You can use it on windows 10 but needs to be 32 bit most are 64

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
    Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
    Fix it right the first time
    Sans_sagesse likes this.
    Garage C5 X7 4008
    Gone but not forgotten 3008 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring

With all these C5s floating around I have to get onto sorting out a workshop manual and Lexia.

There are plenty of Lexia software/hardware interface sets on eBay but some mention that they don't work on the X7. I'll have to get a 32-bit Win XP laptop to use it. Any suggestions on the right Lexia? Some sellers mention theirs doesn't work on X7.

As for a w/shop manual, I tried to register at service citroen but no joy there. Any tricks to getting onto service citroen? PM me if you know. Otherwise I will have to buy the CD version on eBay, but it's not expensive.
    If you speak French as your name may indicate , you can download the workshop manual for 25 Euros there:

Revue Technique Automobile

I tried to post a link but would not work. Just Google it. Find your car , not hard, then pay your money and download.

Not aware of an English version, but maybe!
    Last edited by harrisson_citroen; 22nd January 2019 at 05:17 PM.
    Sans_sagesse likes this.

C5 X7 163 Exclusive
    C3 II 2010

I would like a second one but my wife has not yet ever driven one of my C5s and it's been ten years now. She loves her 407. We had two 505s simultaneously and then two Xantias. The wagon was great. I really wanted a C6 but that was vetoed. A friend lent me one and it was really too big inside for my liking, especially in the pale pale interior trim. I would like a grey one with tobacco upholstery. It might not fit in our drive.

My latest is the 2015 Exclusive. Apart from the comfort of the seat adjustments and the wonderful suspension which make it great for long distances, the things I value are a proper spare wheel, the button on the steering wheel that dims almost every light in the cabin, great on a dark night driving in the bush, and the suspension adjustment which is great for inner city bluestone kerbs in Melbourne when I have a front seat passenger. Ten years on it is still a very sharp looking car, especially in a dark colour with the Exclusive's chrome window finish. You can easily turn off the parking sensors when doing things slowly in dips in the road etc. It is so well thought out.

I changed the satnav from the lady's to the man's voice. Somehow it seemed more natural to have his patient tolerance of my disobedience when he had to adjust his instructions for my alterations of the route he had advised.....
    Sans_sagesse likes this.

UFO

So this additional C5 thing - is it viral? Does it spread by air or water? I'd better be careful.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    So this additional C5 thing - is it viral? Does it spread by air or water? I'd better be careful.
    Mostly spreads by contact with the secret potion, aka LHM.

It's the end of all Hydroens, ever! Grab yourself another C5 while you can!
    Sans_sagesse likes this.

C5 X7 163 Exclusive
    C3 II 2010

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by harrisson_citroen View Post
    Mostly spreads by contact with the secret potion, aka LHM.

It's the end of all Hydroens, ever! Grab yourself another C5 while you can!
    It seems I am doomed then! Especially after a day in the garage sorting through surplus pieces coated in LHM.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

We have been infected by the multiple C5 X7 bug for a while now.

One is a 2010 Exclusive Tourer (white) and the other a 2009 Exclusive Sedan (red).

Both are chipped 3.0 HDi V6's with 19" rims.... can't get enough of those Newton Metres

So powerful, so smooth, so comfortable and so economical. (6 litres and under per 100 km's on trips)

Can't think of any other car I'd buy if we couldn't have the C5's.

Quote Originally Posted by earthwoodphil View Post
    Can't think of any other car I'd buy if we couldn't have the C5's.
    Exactly!
    Tried a few C6, but somehow just too big inside and a feeling of faded glory, plus the parts are drying up, not only here but in France too. Then any big issue and it would need to go to the dealers: it's 5 grands for a hi pressure pump!!!

Even thought of spending the cost of buying the C5 instead on restoring the DS23 to make it 100 percent right, but I would soon spend the 20 grands and it probably still wouldn't be as reliable as a C5 for long distance touring!
    Plus it puts to shame a lot of the german brigade.

C5 X7 163 Exclusive
    C3 II 2010

The c6 would be a great car if the x7 never came out just hard to justify the extra hassle.

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
    Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
    harrisson_citroen likes this.
    Garage C5 X7 4008
    Gone but not forgotten 3008 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring

Quote Originally Posted by dmccurtayne View Post
    The c6 would be a great car if the x7 never came out just hard to justify the extra hassle.

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
    Absolutely. It was a big marketing mistake to have the two competing with each others, specially very similar engines and mechanicals and the X7 C5 looking more modern and half the price. I think it is that that undermined the C6 more than anything else: the competition from within!
    Also whilst the C6 is a beautiful car, there's something not so right with the single odd looking headlights..... something a bit unpleasant at the the front......
    CC1701 and dmccurtayne like this.

C5 X7 163 Exclusive
    C3 II 2010

UFO

Absolutely. It was a big marketing mistake to have the two competing with each others, specially very similar engines and mechanicals and the X7 C5 looking more modern and half the price. I think it is that that undermined the C6 more than anything else: the competition from within!
    Also whilst the C6 is a beautiful car, there's something not so right with the single odd looking headlights..... something a bit unpleasant at the the front......
    Then on the day you collect your C5 X7 you sit inside the C6 on the lot and realise the interior of the X7 is more modern and better equipped.
    dmccurtayne likes this.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    Then on the day you collect your C5 X7 you sit inside the C6 on the lot and realise the interior of the X7 is more modern and better equipped.
    Until you want to put something bigger than your sunglasses away. Those C6 door bins are fantastic. But I have moved on from wanting a C6.

Quote Originally Posted by Tristesse View Post
    Until you want to put something bigger than your sunglasses away.
    or put A drink somewhere

... whilst the C6 is a beautiful car... something a bit unpleasant at the the front......
    the front isn't beautiful but acceptable.
    however, i just can't imagine what the designers were thinking, or possibly taking, when they did those taillights!
    imho, excessive weirdness styling, just to be different, at the expense of any harmony with the aesthetics of the shape.
    maybe the designer used to work for lexus, or honda

UFO

Today C5 number two arrived in our driveway. Jan 2015 compliance Exclusive, DW10CTED4 motor, 33,500 km, other than a door dent and a bit of gutter rash on right wheels all is perfect.c5 2 sm 1.jpg
    Last edited by UFO; 28th January 2019 at 06:22 PM. Reason: to correct motor type to DW10CTED4
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Looks very nice
    C5's are being snapped up by .... C5 owners :-)
    What a good choice

My wife's AU pug 307 needs replacement. Any suggestions?

My partner started sending links to C5 X7s on carsales yesterday. It is contagious. If anyone sees a very nice estate enter the market...

one is only the start though :-)
    hard to stop with just one.

a 3.0 HDi Tourer, if you can find one is an effortless, refined, economical, comfortable, near perfection tourer.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information