C5 X7 Sports mode, when and why ??
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By seasink
  • 1 Post By Biker
  • 2 Post By Dijon16

Thread: C5 X7 Sports mode, when and why ??

Default C5 X7 Sports mode, when and why ??

Hi all,
    Apart from changing points being moved up,
    I can hardly notice any difference in the rate of acceleration.
    When to use and what is the idea behind this feature I wonder ?

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

It remaps the change points to higher rpm values. The effect depends on where you are driving, as torque diminishes after 2000 rpm in the diesels, but power output climbs as the engine speed rises. So not a lot of difference unless you are hill climbing or towing.
    Biker likes this.

Sport mode on the transmission is inimical to the lazy, torquey turbodiesel that powers most X7. It just generates more noise.

(Sport mode on the suspension though is great, activating three more spheres, and tightening up the driving experience when cornering, but keeping the ride soft when going in a straight line...)
    2011 Citroen C5 - 'La Barge'

UFO

I use sport mode on the C5 and C4 every day on the drive to work. For those that know the road, I live in Gerringong and work in Wollongong so do Kiama bends and bypass each day. For the sake of my licence and sanity I am a habitual cruise control user so set it accordingly.

On the way up to Kiama bends I sometimes hit sport mode pre the first bend and leave it there until after Kiama. Sports mode in both cars has the benefit of not only bringing on a down change sooner to maintain speed uphill but also encourages the 'box to use engine braking. Especially on the C4 (EGS HDi) this works quite well for engine braking and I can more than comfortably do Kiama bends with no brake use at all - unless someone slower than the speed limit decides to jump in front of me.

A little later on the journey there is a steep uphill straight than many drivers have trouble maintaining speed on. C4 or C5 in sport mode will just kick back to 5th and maintain speed to the top of the hill then hold back as I descend the other side.

In the afternoon on the way home as I descend towards Gerringong the C4 will kick down to engine brake quite effectively maintaining 80ish before the 100 zone kicks in.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Thanks yes I use Sports Suspension all the time,
    so much more stable on corners and just as soft on the straights.

Yes I know that big climb out of Gerringong and the Kiama bypass quite well..
    and the issue with engine braking, or the lack thereoff in 6th especially.

So yes I see now the practicality of the Sports feature in downshifting earlier.
    I also use cruise just about all the time, an old habit and quite nice on the C5.
    UFO likes this.

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by Biker View Post
    Thanks yes I use Sports Suspension all the time,
    so much more stable on corners and just as soft on the straights.

Yes I know that big climb out of Gerringong and the Kiama bypass quite well..
    and the issue with engine braking, or the lack thereoff in 6th especially.

So yes I see now the practicality of the Sports feature in downshifting earlier.
    I also use cruise just about all the time, an old habit and quite nice on the C5.
    CC, diesel and auto is a match made in Citroen heaven. Europeans and their "must drive a manual" obsession amuse me no end.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

I never felt that the manual obsession was anything to do with sportiness. It was all to do with economy, the fact that for decades the price of petrol was up to 20% dearer than diesel.

And the initial price of the manual car is well below the diesel car.

I mostly use sports suspension setting on my C5 X7, but I don't think that I ever tried the sport transmission setting. Will do now but.

As a bit of an update, I frequently tow a box trailer with a light to moderate load. Today I used Sports gearbox mode, and it was heaps better to drive.

Sure it held the gears a bit longer, sometimes not changing up when it would have been better to, but it stopped all the hunting between gears which often happens when towing, and the decompression braking was better.
    UFO and Biker like this.

Thread Information