• Register
  • Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By JBN
  • 1 Post By dmccurtayne
  • 1 Post By dmccurtayne

Thread: Inappropriate flashing

Default Inappropriate flashing

I have finally solved the EGS repair on the C4 caused by sloppy reinstallation of positive lead from battery to the BSM fusebox touching the casing of the main ECU. Sorted after short period (48 months) culminating today in exploratory drag down the local country road outside the front of the property, flipping through the 6 speeds of the EGS gearbox. All fine , fabulous in fact (the emotion was extraordinary) except that I continue to have the following faults, and they are:-

Advertisement

• Remote will only lock car but will not unlock it (requires key on passenger side door to achieve unlock), and
    • Direction indicators flash in the pod just beyond ,in relation to the driver, the steering wheel,in half second repetitions and left/right flashing simultaneously, and
    • Front indicator lights flash together in half second repetitions upon opening drivers side door, and
    • Rear lights flah in same timing sequence to front indicator light but stay on longer than from indicator lights (one minute 45 seconds from commencement), and
    • ...well that's enough isn't it?

All lighting functions otherwise operate properly.

The first respondent to provide a solution to this "security" problem will be sent 2 bottles of superior Tasmania cool climate (naturally) of Pinot Gris, freight free of course.

I had forgotten what a fun car it is to drive.
    2014 C5 2.2 HDI Limited Edition Sedan
    2007 C5 2.2 HDI Hatchback
    2007 C4 1.6 HDI EGS Sedan
    Peugeot Mi16 Series 2

Check the shut fuse in the inside fuse box also seems like power is turning on only when forced if that makes sense

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
    Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
    Fix it right the first time

I would suggest a fuse is blown or missing

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
    Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring

I would be checking fuses mainly shunt fuses it seems like you have a power turn on problem like you donít have constant power and itís triggering late on the wake up line also if you hold down the inside lock button with the engine running it will turn off auto lock.

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE

JBN

Thankfully it is a Citroen. Most other road users expect them to be a bit idiosyncratic.

John
    Trading Estate likes this.

Open your remote and clean the contact points then before reassembling check the lock/ unlock functionality by pkacing a metel blade or similar. Easy fix on that one.

Still scratching my head on the other conditions. As it seems the Comm would control all the lighting and indicator controls.

Sent from my SM-G900I using aussiefrogs mobile app

The front and rear indicator lights flashing when you exit the car seem to be signaling the driver to enable or disable a function should be in the owners manual. I'm guessing carjacking lock function still active or some otherwise function never used in Oz.

The flashing commences as soon as I open a door of the car.

Yes the remote seems likely to be a separate issue to the flashing but they all commenced at the same time.

To summarise, the lights come on as soon as I open a door and stop flashing : front within 8bsecs and back 90secs after I close the door. I will recheck to see if there is a difference between merely closing the door or locking. There may be a clue there.

I will check the shunt fuse in the meantime.

The BSI is from a donor car along with the main ECU and the key fob after I fried the main ECU.

Yes the flashing seems to be a carjacking warning function (re Dimistyle comment) without the siren .
    Peugeot Mi16 Series 2

Donít over think it

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
    UFO likes this.

The flashing comes on when opening the door or closing the door.

If I am sitting in the car and the flashing stops, it recommences when I turn the ignition on.
    Peugeot Mi16 Series 2

Ceenine it may be part of the alarm system as the owners manual mentions external and internal arming have different delay times.
    Do you have a button on the righthand side of dash below vent with a car and the word OFF ? Deactivate this and see if any difference?

Otherwise also open and close each door separately as well as hatch and see if same response with lights?

No 4 door c4s had alarms did they ? These symptoms are exactly the same as a shunt fuse missing I would 100% be checking all the fuses with the owners manual.

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
    dimistyle likes this.

Have been over all my fuses, cleaned the electric part of my key fob and still no fix.

After frying my electrics I have replaced the essentials including my gearbox ECU. After much Lexia -ing I have initialised the EGS within an inch(25.4mm) of its life, and after finding that a maxifuse which was critical to the actuator fluid pumping was in the wrong slot, I can now drive the car.

Apart from the door locking problem, the following faults have been logged by Lexia:-

P0238 Turbo presure signalshort circuit to positive open circuit or value too high,
    PO2670Engine seed,air-conditioning pressure signal short circuit earth or value too low
    PO 532 Air-conditioning pressur signal short circuit to earth or value too low.

I note on the first one that the turbo pressure value is 4980 mv if that helps,

I have checked out the air-conditioning wiring diagram and note that its power goes through the fuse box but there is no fuse for it.

All together it appears that another BSM may be the answer to all the gremlins. It is the only significant electrical component that I haven't replaced after the mishap.
    Peugeot Mi16 Series 2

Still sounds like you donít have a good constant power or +rcd when they come off the boat they do this

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE

so what is +rcd
    Peugeot Mi16 Series 2

Quote Originally Posted by dmccurtayne View Post
    Still sounds like you don’t have a good constant power or +rcd when they come off the boat they do this

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
    Don't you need a holiday in Devonport? You do really.... I'm amazed Ceenine hasn't reverted to "insure and burn" by now. Talk about persistence!

Good luck with it.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Wake up power turns on the ecus

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE

Default Flashing, lights that is

John
    There is a very fine line between persistence and pig-headedness. The great respondents here encourage the latter, thankfully.
    Don
    Peugeot Mi16 Series 2

Quote Originally Posted by Ceenine View Post
    John
    There is a very fine line between persistence and pig-headedness. The great respondents here encourage the latter, thankfully.
    Don
    I'm in awe!

It's also another of these fascinating problems (my word, not yours I'm sure) that many of us learn from. So thanks for that side aspect.

Hope you are nearly there with it.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Ceenine by chance does this car have a tow bar and connector. Wondering if there's an earth loop. What happens if you remove the tail light indicator bulbs. Other than different speed do the front indicators behavior correctly?
    Or a crushed wire under the replacement BSM?

Dimi, the indicator lights overtake in function the "warning" flashing lights and therefore operate normally when actioned.

The flashing operates when the doors are opened or closed. The front park lights flash for about 10 secs. and the rears for 1.5 mins.
    If I am in the car for beyond flashing time and I turn on the ignition, including therefore starting the car, the flashing continues; down the road if I move off.

I haven't noticed any crushing (resulting in unwanted closed circuiting.

I shall conduct the bulb test.

No towbar!

Thanks for the thoughts.

Don
    Peugeot Mi16 Series 2

Ok Don, just checking what model C4 was the BSI removed from? I bet the previous vehicle had the factory alarm option and now you've installed into yours which does not have factory option so its a warning that alarm not set. Will need this setting turned off with Lexia.
    Possibly deadlocking is working which the initial indicators show but then when internal/external alarm tries to set it fails and 1 minute of flashing still runs on?

Dimi
    I had a look this morning (Lexia) before I read your post (which contains copious amounts of logic). I went to programming (configuration parameters) which showed the first item which is about locking boot as "missing". The final item says "missing" also which is about deadlocking boot. I tried to save the page but I think I failed. I had to rush off to work before checking. I will report further detail.

Bulb removal at rear resulted no change
    in
    Don
    Last edited by Ceenine; 15th January 2019 at 05:16 PM.
    Peugeot Mi16 Series 2

With much help from dmccurtayne I finally resolved the hazard lights flashing. Dimistyle was correct, the BSI was set to "UK alarm" in the configuration. I had to reset it using trusty (but clumsy) Lexia 3 to "no alarm". I can't imagine why the donor car had this configuration. Must have had an alarm installed to fend off previous HSV Commodore stealers converted to C4 HDI EGS's. Now I know that C4's are sprightly, but....

Anyhow thanks Dimi and David from Toowomba and Newcastle respectively
    Peugeot Mi16 Series 2

Thread Information