Replacement batteries
  • Register
  • Help

Default Replacement batteries

Do you think Varta batteries are worth the extra dosh over the usual replacements. available in Oz. I notice that the local Autobarn have Vara for mid $300's for the C5.

Advertisement
    2014 C5 2.2 HDI Limited Edition Sedan
    2007 C5 2.2 HDI Hatchback
    2007 C4 1.6 HDI EGS Sedan
    Peugeot Mi16 Series 2

1000+ Posts

They make decent batteries, but you haven't stated what type (standard, EFB, AGM). I can get a Century AGM type for less.

The factory fits EFB.

So is that a Century model DIN65LH. I am not up with spec. designations EFB,AFB. A neglected part of my education fortunately.
    Peugeot Mi16 Series 2

1000+ Posts

The DIN number is a description of the case, to suit the car model. You can read about the battery types at https://www.yuasa.co.uk/info/technic...lained/‎ These newer types are a response to increased load demands by diesels and stop/start.

Century make a good product. Mine come from from an agricultural supplier who gives me better terms than the local car parts place. (I can get Asian batteries there at trade).

The original was probably a French made Exide EFB supplied in bulk to PSA, with a Citroen paper label affixed.

You are correct, my 2014 model has an Exide made in Italy. So no. 1 car's battery still going strong after 4 years which I expect from batteries which are supplied with the car from PSA. The aftermarket batteries at $200 plus around here are lucky to last 3 years.
    Peugeot Mi16 Series 2

1000+ Posts

An absorbed glass mat (AGM) battery is still of the broad lead/acid type but does not have a liquid electrolyte. Two immediate advantages ensue for competition & modified vehicles: smaller size & the ability to mount the battery any old way up (I have them in 3 toys & in one, the 4CVG, the battery is mounted on its side).

Those advantages are no doubt irrelevant to your application. One other advantage might not be.

That merit is the capacity to "overboost" initially on starting. So, say, a nominal 500 cold cranking amps battery will boost to 900 CCA initially on starting. I live in Tasmania with each toy having a crabby modified engine & all of which live in open sheds. For me anyway, that merit is worth the price of entry. (The brand of AGM battery I've fitted is 'Full River'; this was for no better reason initially than suitable dimensions for a very tight fit in the 4CVG but then the other two were bought after total satisfaction with the initial one.)

cheers! Peter

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

I still haven't got less than 6years out of a Delkor calcium plate battery ........................................ They dont' get trreated kindly here either
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Bosch batteries are good, 3 year warranty too.
    1963 Morris Cooper 997
    1969 Austin 1800
    1969 Lancia Fulvia Rallye 1,3S

As I wrote in a similar thread a while ago, yes.

My last 4 modern froggy cars have all had Varta from new, and each has lasted 7 years.

About a year ago I had to get a new one for the C5 X7 HDi - at 7 years old. I got an E44 577 400, which is a DIN66 780CCA, from those scalpers at Battery World, for $340. Forget if warranty was 1 or 2 years.

I could have ordered one online, about $280, but you can never be sure what condition they will be in when delivered, plus you have to fit it yourself, plus if there are any warranty issues.

Chris

Thanks for all the replies. I note that the battery for the 2007 C5 is from a local supplier who has placed their sticker over the Supercharge label. It says its "extra heavy duty" but don't they all say that?
    Peugeot Mi16 Series 2

Thread Information