• Register
  • Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By harrisson_citroen
  • 1 Post By Citquery

Thread: DS BorgWarner Automatiques fluid

Thank God for my Hydroen harrisson_citroen's Avatar

Default DS BorgWarner Automatiques fluid

As the afficionados know well, you are not to use friction modified fluids in the borg warner automatique DS.
    Therefore the recommended fluid is ATF33 or F type. All these years I have used Valvoline ATF 33 with good results.
    Seems to be impossible to find now... So they recommend Castrol Transmax type F. Anyone knows whether it is miscible with Valvoline, as I need to only add about half a litre to the Valvoline fluid.

Contributions accepted M.Fritzelhund !

Advertisement

No entries arguing the spelling of DEXRON will be enTerTained
    Last edited by harrisson_citroen; 3rd January 2019 at 03:57 PM.
    JohnW and cjl like this.
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

DS23 IE Pallas Automatique
    C5 X7 163 Exclusive
    C3 II 2010

Fellow Frogger!

harrison_citroen, last year I bought 2 x 4 litres of Valvoline ATF Type F for my DS23 BW35 auto from Automotive Superstore. The price was good and the parcel arrived quite quickly as I recall.

I have just checked and they still have the product listed (in 1 litre and 4 litre containers).

I hope this helps.

Regards, Chris
    harrisson_citroen likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Citquery View Post
    harrison_citroen, last year I bought 2 x 4 litres of Valvoline ATF Type F for my DS23 BW35 auto from Automotive Superstore. The price was good and the parcel arrived quite quickly as I recall.

I have just checked and they still have the product listed (in 1 litre and 4 litre containers).

I hope this helps.

Regards, Chris
    THanks Chris! Much appreciated. Yes Valvoline Type F is pretty good stuff, and the DS is happy with it. Will see if I can score a couple of litres from AS.

C5 X7 163 Exclusive
    C3 II 2010

Fellow Frogger!

The BW35 transmission in my DS23 was "overhauled" at about 80,000 miles, when significant engine and front brake repair and maintenance work was also done.

The car has now travelled about 108,000 miles.

The 'major overhaul' work was done in 1984, during the ownership of the person I bought the car from (in 1994), so I'm not sure about the extent of the transmission rebuild, or whether at that stage (1984) different friction components (compared with original) were used in BW35 rebuilds.

I am alluding to a question to which I don't know the answer: if more modern 'friction components' are used in a BW35 rebuild, should the Ford-type ATF (e.g. Valvoline Type 33 or Type F) still be used in the trans., or is some other ATF more suitable?

I haven't had a definitive answer to that question, but it has been suggested to me that I should stick with Type F, especially as I don't know the extent of the 1984 "overhaul".

Last year I became concerned that my BW35 had a slipping stator, because the car pulled away slowly from rest, especially on gradients and I obtained a 'low' stall test reading. The car was also stalling when I engaged R or D; however, following some tinkering with carby settings (based on some info. from a UK website), I managed to reduce the incidence of stalling and I feel the car is also more lively when pulling away from rest and when climbing hills. It remains a work in progress, part of which entails leaving the BW35 'as is', apart from changing the ATF 2-3 times (at short intervals) to 'freshen' the ATF, given that you can only drain about 1/3 of the transmission/torque converter volume at any one fluid drain.

I hope you have success in sourcing the Type F ATF. As I say, I've found Automotive Superstore very efficient and price-competitive for the items I've purchased from them.

Chris

Thanks Chris,

Yes, they are all "works in progress". Mine was overhauled about 5 years ago, and no mention was made of using different friction components. I guess even when rebuilt they would still use the original spec materials. Been running ATF33 since then and works fine.
    So will keep doing that, but like you will do a fluid drain and refill soon.

C5 X7 163 Exclusive
    C3 II 2010

Fellow Frogger! citroenthusiast's Avatar

Don't forget that the BW35 has manually adjusted bands and you must adjust them at regular intervals!
    Cheers,
    John T.

54 11BL; 61DS19 LHM (son's); 71DS21 BVH; 73SM 3.0; 73SM 2.7EFI; 73SM 3.0 (other son's); 74 Maserati Merak

Fellow Frogger!

According to Valvoline info Type F is for use where type M2C33 is specified. Plenty of type F around. It's carried locally by Autobarn and others up your way. Cheers Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by citroenthusiast View Post
    Don't forget that the BW35 has manually adjusted bands and you must adjust them at regular intervals!
    Haven't done one in 5-6 years, is that mileage or time dependant? Any idea what the average interval is?

C5 X7 163 Exclusive
    C3 II 2010

Quote Originally Posted by shanadoo View Post
    According to Valvoline info Type F is for use where type M2C33 is specified. Plenty of type F around. It's carried locally by Autobarn and others up your way. Cheers Tony.
    Thanks Tony, am aware of that, wanted mostly to know if anyone thinks mixing different brands is ok?

C5 X7 163 Exclusive
    C3 II 2010

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks for the reminder on band adjustments, John. I checked mine according to the 814 manual a few months - and very few miles - ago and they seemed to be within spec. I hadn't touched them previously (in about 6,000 miles / 24 years).

I suspect bands require adjustment according to distance and type of use, rather than time, but I am no authority on that point.

Fellow Frogger! citroenthusiast's Avatar

I haven't found anything showing the recommended service interval for the band adjustment. The bands need to be adjusted because of the relatively short stroke of the servos that engage and disengage the bands. As the bands wear, the servos can no longer fully engage the bands unless they are adjusted to compensate for the wear. Since the service interval is wear related, I agree that it is a function of how far and how hard you drive. Obviously, they should be adjusted before the transmission shows any sign of band slippage.
    Cheers,
    John T.

54 11BL; 61DS19 LHM (son's); 71DS21 BVH; 73SM 3.0; 73SM 2.7EFI; 73SM 3.0 (other son's); 74 Maserati Merak

Thread Information