• Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Roger Wilkinson
  • 1 Post By David S

Thread: A warning to all DS owners

Fellow Frogger!

Default A warning to all DS owners

A friendly reminder to all DS owners that the holidays is the perfect time to check the condition of all fuel hoses, carb fittings, leaking fuel injectors and for EFI BVH owners, that the CRC isnít leaking LHM onto the exhaust manifold. This is what can happen IMG_1546091548.573062.jpgIMG_1546091566.709645.jpg

Advertisement

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs

Sympathies to the owner, looks like a major repair job, I would add the inclusion of carrying a small extinguisher (very cheap insurance) is critical and make sure it is readily accessible. AND make sure your Bonnet latches are always in working order. Having had a motor catch on fire on the highway the extinguisher saved me from complete disaster.
    Last edited by forumnoreason; 30th December 2018 at 08:54 AM.

Default Applicable to any EFI car approaching 20 years old

I remember having to pull over on the way home in my BX TZI because I smelt petrol and finding the last foot of the pressure fuel line onto the fuel rail rotten and leaking profusely. That was about 10 years ago. I found a park for the car and caught the train home to get a kit of a joiner, some hose clamps and some 8mm EFI hose. I returned to the car and replaced the last section of pipe. That lasted the rest of the life of the car.

I also had a leak on my EFI SM recently despite the previous owner stating he had replaced all the high pressure fuel hose. But he had forgotten the double right angle piece in the rear wheel arch that goes from the output of the fuel pump to the nylon fuel line that runs up the RHS of the car. So don't forget the equivalent section on a DS.

Cheers, Ken

Fellow Frogger!

Default A warning to all DS owners

Sadly itís my car. Parked on n the driveway only to smell smoke in the backyard about 10min later. The damage isnít as bad as as it could have been. The bonnet, roof and interior have had it but the engine and most panels are fine amazingly.

Good idea about the extinguisher, would have saved the car.

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs

That sux massively, condolences. Have you any idea what caused it? Wiring?

Fellow Frogger

That is really unfortunate and an outcome we all dread after so much effort to restore a car. Maybe, not a total loss from the sounds of it? It could have been so much worse given there appears to be a gas meter right next to it! If you have a market value insurance policy, Throttle Shop's recent efforts might have done you a favour and leave more scope for repairs. There should be plenty of loose parts and a few donors out there.

The EFI is certainly something to check regularly as it has caused a few fires. Similarly, the original inlet fitting on the carby should be replaced with a screw in fitting or at least wired in place. The cold start injector is a risky one in a DS EFI as it's directly above the exhaust manifold and easily overlooked. Get decent branded hose too (e.g. Gates), not cheapie EFI hose or eBay specials. It's easy to forget oil can also burn fiercely, especially once it heats up, and most would just assume leakage would smoke a little and be gone.

Fellow Frogger!

Tragedy, we all live in fear of this. Hope that you are well insured and able to get it all sorted. Big condolences

This may not be relevant to you if you have an EFI model, but I have one of the brass connectors for conversion of Solex carb fuel inlet to a safer arrangement. You need to find an oddball 9 mm metric tap to fit it, but it is now surplus to requirements chez moi ( had to sell the DS two years ago due to lack of the space to do him justice )

If anybody has a use for this I am happy to pass it on, as I would not want a DS going up in smoke

PM me if it is of any use to anybody

Best Wishes

Andrew

Fellow Frogger!

You are quite right David it could have been far worse, there are 8 gas meters within 30cm of the car. Not sure exactly what caused it. Definitely not cracked/damaged fuel lines or injectors as I've serviced and replaced them all in the last 6 months. My best guess is the LHM soaked felt? pad on the driptray under the CRC was overheated by the exhaust manifold and ignited. This is based on the engine bay damage being very localised to the inlet hose and cabin vent burning. Weirdly it survived driving 100km in the 38deg heat with no problem and only 5km up the road and back before the fire. The only damage to the engine is melted hoses & wiring insulation. All the hydraulic parts are fine, not even any damage to the green paint. A new interior & dashboard is what will take longest to fix. The chassis is still perfect, I can only imagine this is due to the MFB arriving in about 4 min and me noticing the fire just after it started.

If anyone out there around Melbourne/Vic knows of a roof, bonnet, dashboard & door glass going spare i'd be very interested to hear from you.

Fellow Frogger!

So sad to hear about your misfortune Faulksy. Glad to hear that you can salvage the car. Look forward to seeing it on the road.

Regards Syd

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using aussiefrogs mobile app
    1974 Citroen D Special (Blanc Meije)
    1989 Citroen 2CV 6 Dolly (Plum & Custard)

Previously owned Frenchies -
    1976 Citroen GS 1220
    1997 Peugeot 306 XSi
    1995 Citroen XM Series II V6 (Vert Vega)

A small extinguisher is almost useless if the fire is any bigger than trivial. You get about 8 seconds from a 1 kg dry powder. And the blast is not large. I now carry 2 X 2.5 kg extinguishers.

Roger
    forumnoreason likes this.

UFO

It's been shared before, but here we go again.

DS Safari with carby pipe drop and DS23ie with fuel line blow.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/craigk...57633294509056
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Watkins View Post
    Tragedy, we all live in fear of this. Hope that you are well insured and able to get it all sorted. Big condolences

This may not be relevant to you if you have an EFI model, but I have one of the brass connectors for conversion of Solex carb fuel inlet to a safer arrangement. You need to find an oddball 9 mm metric tap to fit it, but it is now surplus to requirements chez moi ( had to sell the DS two years ago due to lack of the space to do him justice )

If anybody has a use for this I am happy to pass it on, as I would not want a DS going up in smoke

PM me if it is of any use to anybody

Best Wishes

Andrew
    I have the tap if anybody needs it. An absolutely critical fix.

Fellow Frogger

Quote Originally Posted by faulksy View Post
    ... If anyone out there around Melbourne/Vic knows of a roof, bonnet, dashboard & door glass going spare i'd be very interested to hear from you.
    David Gries was involved in a shed sale early in 2018 and there would have been some suitable donors there. See:
    F/S Shed clearance of Citroens, South Gippsland, Victoria.
    It may be worth asking if he can tell you where some of the suitable incomplete cars / parts ended up. In the unlikely event you cannot locate what you need close to home, there will be a few people with access to suitable wrecks / parts in NSW.
    gsowner84 likes this.

Thread Information