BX Gutter removal
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default BX Gutter removal

Does anyone know how to remove the gutter / trim strips that run along each side of the roof on a BX (S1)?

Just have some surface rust to deal with in a few spots...

Thanks

Advertisement

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs

They are a pita to get of they are both glued and clipped on
    You will be battling to get them of in one piece as they are also fragile being made from the same reinforced abs as the boot hatch and bonnet
    First use a very sharp bent scraper (the type that could cut an artery) to loosen the glue along the inserts then gently prise them of and I mean gently .
    If there is any resistance keep digging out the glue
    This will damage the paint both on the roof next to the rails and below on the door head rail and may cause more damage than you need to cosmeticly clean up the rust you see
    Also if you can see some rust fair chance it will be worse in the metal join between the roof and the door rail which is just a spot welded fin covered by the abs trim .
    Also if there is a sunroof the rust is more than likely coming from the inside
    Good luck
    BX 16v 89, I Renault Floride 62, Volvo P1800 68, Aston Martin DB6 68, Daimler 250V8 68, Jaguar XJC 76, Falcon Ute XL 62, Falcon Ute XY 4WD, Jeep Grand Larado 03, Mazda 6 Wagon 05, inter 483 tractor 86, makita cordless drill CX TURBO its dented D Special 1 62 ID192000 Xantia V6 2000 Cadillac STS stolen by the princess,KANGA 720DL LOADER

Tadpole

Thanks Archrival for your prompt reply and advice. I have a donor car I might practice on first.
    The rust I have is from a combination of salt air and the car sitting in dry storage, but with bird shite slowly eating away at the paint in various spots. I am not too worried about a perfect repair visually, but want to address the rust for both a roadworthy test and to prevent further deterioration. I imagine it woudn't be the most difficult thing to fabricate replacement trim from plastic or even aluminium, if the originals perish.
    I am wondering if heat might help soften the glue...

Thread Information