• Register
  • Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Dijon16
  • 1 Post By CC1701
  • 1 Post By UFO

Thread: X7 suspension ratings querie

Default X7 suspension ratings querie

Hi all, My 2009 X7 Comfort seems to me to give a more 'stable' ride on Sports setting.
    Even on good roads, I tend to prefer 'Sports'... and on the rough country roads, it is a must.
    This car has 350klm, has been serviced all the while and runs beautifully.
    The front hydraulic rams do show signs of surface leakage, the level is ok.

Question: Might the gas accumulators be low on pressure,
    is my presumption at this stage..

Or is it common for drivers to prefer Sports mode?

Advertisement

Otherwise, no rattles or squeaks, good economy and great condition for Hi Klm.. 5 stars

I do have a 2010 X7 executive low klm.. The ride is much firmer on Normal, it seems to me?
    going from what little I have used it, just one drive home.. (the spare)

Thanks.
    Last edited by Biker; 27th December 2018 at 07:36 PM. Reason: clarity

I leave my 2010 Confort in sports all the time. The difference is noticeable.

It goes into soft mode whenever speed bumps are involved, or my elderly mother-in-law. For whom, by the way, I make the car kneel. Who said that adjustable suspension was a gimmick?

Note that if you read the manual, it says that it will self-adjust (ie override) depending on the conditions.
    Biker likes this.

The difference in ride between your two cars might be due to the wheels and tyres. Am guessing your Comfort model is has 225/60-17 tyres which would be much softer, more 'floatier', than the much stiffer 245/45-18 tyres that are standard on an Exclusive model.

As for the suspension setting; Sport mode for all highway driving and normal mode around town for us.

My 2008 Comfort stays on Normal mode all the time. I do feel it switch to firm mode when going over sharp changes in road slope and when I go around corners fast but I try not to provoke it too often.

I'm glad your RHR engine is running well. My car is just about at 180kkm and going really well with a new regulator solenoid on the HPDI pump and some replacement rear bushes on the lower front suspension arms. New discs and pads coming up soon.

Cheers, Ken
    Last edited by Ken W; 27th December 2018 at 11:13 PM.

Fellow Frogger!

One of the few times I have used Sports mode was when travelling north of Moree at 110kph on a badly undulating section of the Newell Highway. Twice, cruise control disengaged, which I believe happens if either ESP or ASR systems are activated. After then selecting Sports mode, the car handled the undulations much better.

Corrections:
    The daily drive is 2010 Comfort RHH... 350K Well serviced
    Tyres: Falken ZIEX ZE914 225 55R 17

On 'normal' seems to 'rock' about too much...
    On 'Sports' less 'rock and roll' and more to the point.
    I like things to be to the point.
    Highway 'normal' is ok, but I still seem to prefer 'S'

--------------

The 'spare' 2009 Executive RHR 140K also well serviced
    Tyres: NANOENERGY 225 65 17

'Normal' is much firmer than the Comfort and yet the tyres are higher profile.
    My thinking was that the Hi Klm car's suspension had somehow gone 'soft'
    hence the tendency to use 'S'

Whether this was due to ram seal wear or gas leakage, I do not know.. ?
    Maybe the models ride differently?

I say sorry for the mix up.. citroen ownership can be so confusing I find..
    I had thought I was the only person with two C5's.. hahah
    Now I see it is a common thing.

I like to read the 'issues' but it leaves me with a slightly uneasy feeling
    that I will be next with some hard to diagnose issue.. anyway, so far so good..
    And I have the spare Executive with the 'lesser' engine, that in my opinion sounds better.. (noisier)
    and the all leather, though I think I prefer the cloth in the Comfort, the leather does smell so nice.. over
    Last edited by Biker; 31st December 2018 at 04:16 PM. Reason: further clarity

thanks for clarifying tyre sizes.
    the toyo tyres on your exclusive, I would expect them to be a fairly soft being a touring tyre whereas the falkens on the comfort being a lower profile performance tyre you'd expect them to be noticeably firmer.
    Maybe someone else with more experience on c5 suspension wear can shed some light on why your exclusive feels comparatively soft.
    my experience is that the c5 ride differs considerably with tyres, but both of ours are on 18's. Certainly tyres make a much greater difference to the ride on the c5 than on a steel sprung car, imho.
    Other than the difference in tyres, our two cars ride much the same even though separated by a few years in build date.

I'd like to have a cloth interior too, for our au car. Anyone got a tourer with a grey cloth interior they like to swap for a full leather one?
    Biker likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

'my experience is that the c5 ride differs considerably with tyres, but both of ours are on 18's. Certainly tyres make a much greater difference to the ride on the c5 than on a steel sprung car, imho.'

My C5 is inclined to bounce at the front if the tyre pressure is higher than recommended. Recently had to drop the pressure 5psi (cold) to return to recommended. The difference in ride was very apparent. Normally drive on the softer setting, though gravel roads are better in 'sport'. Other vehicle is a Discovery 3 which seems to react less while giving a smoother (and quieter) ride.

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by marburg505 View Post
    'my experience is that the c5 ride differs considerably with tyres, but both of ours are on 18's. Certainly tyres make a much greater difference to the ride on the c5 than on a steel sprung car, imho.'

My C5 is inclined to bounce at the front if the tyre pressure is higher than recommended. Recently had to drop the pressure 5psi (cold) to return to recommended. The difference in ride was very apparent. Normally drive on the softer setting, though gravel roads are better in 'sport'. Other vehicle is a Discovery 3 which seems to react less while giving a smoother (and quieter) ride.
    When driving on gravel try putting the gearbox into snow mode. Makes gear changes to the higher gear happen earlier and reduces wheel spin.
    Biker likes this.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Thread Information