• 1 Post By seasink
  • 1 Post By davway
  • 3 Post By seasink
  • 1 Post By David S

Thread: Lock nuts - cant get them off - C4

Default Lock nuts - cant get them off - C4

Hi all,

Advertisement

Was trying to swap the alloy wheels off the spare car to my C4 but seems the tyre place has done the lugs up that tight, the security key has broke trying to undo the security lug.
    The security lug head itself is starting to strip itself as well.
    So, what options do i have to getting these lugs off?
    The security key is just the factory one, so nothing special.
    Anyone have a spare one?
    Any tips on getting the lug off without stuffing the rims?

1000+ Posts

Do a search there was a post just the other day same problem ,those sockets are not all the same ,there is a number code ,on it ,i have just replaced 3 sets of these with normal nuts from the wrecker ,my driver as a capital e on it and r6s6 ,you are welcome to it ,but im in tweed heads ,the other two sets were on my sons cars dont know his codes or if he has still got them .if you are fortunate enough to find someone with the right one ,if i were them i dont know if i would wont to risk ,it getting broken also .check that other post for idear and input pugs

1000+ Posts

How to remove a broken stripped lock nut from a wheel

Good luck with it. Then chuck them into the ocean.

Thanks, I found that thread after i posted.
    I live at the beach too so thats where they may end up yet.
    dimistyle likes this.

1000+ Posts

Hi
    I hope you have them off now !
    Here is a solution. They are like socket easy-offs. They are available locally too but the picture on this one is good to see the design.
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/10PCS-Bo...Mlj:rk:21:pf:0
    Might need a bigger size than that for some bolt heads. The tire shops usually have a set because they often need them !!! These are for bigger heads.
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-2-Dr-4...93n:rk:38:pf:0

I would say that getting the damaged 'nut'/screw off in a deep recess in an alloy wheel is not as easy as some simplistic answers suggest. They obviously have never done what they suggest.
    Jaahn
    Last edited by jaahn; 28th December 2018 at 10:37 AM.

1000+ Posts

I posted pics of those in the other thread. They work sometimes, and worth a try if one fits, but the recess in the wheel is designed to defeat any socket that is too thick.

The best thing t do with these bolts is discard them at purchase of the car.
    jaahn likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jaahn View Post
    Hi
    I hope you have them off now !
    Here is a solution. They are like socket easy-offs. They are available locally too but the picture on this one is good to see the design.
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/10PCS-Bo...Mlj:rk:21:pf:0
    Might need a bigger size than that for some bolt heads. The tire shops usually have a set because they often need them !!! These are for bigger heads.
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-2-Dr-4...93n:rk:38:pf:0

I would say that getting the damaged 'nut'/screw off in a deep recess in an alloy wheel is not as easy as some simplistic answers suggest. They obviously have never done what they suggest.
    Jaahn

I had a look at them but didnt want to have to wait for them in the mail.
    They were the preferred option as i could get a socket over the top of them.
    I ended up getting these:
    https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/...ce/342010.html
    Havent tried them yet but i have my doubts.
    The other local option was these:
    https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/...gment=1&page=1
    but i didnt get them for 2 reasons:
    1) the sizes goes from 17 straight to 14 with nothing in between
    2) they were sold out anyway.

The ones i got are only for 3/8 sockets but theres every size under 17 so i can at least find one that fits well hopefully.
    If they dont work, ill just have to order somthing else.

And yes, it was the tyre shop that didnt them up with the rattle - probably why they have tools like this.

Update:

The kit I bought was the right kit in that i needed the 16mm to fit tightly over the security nut, the 17 was too big.
    Worked well in the sense that they did their job but the head of the security nut, being some cheap alloy, snapped clean off.
    Bolts still in the wheel so i guess i have to try and drill them out.
    Cant wait.
    jaahn likes this.

The remaining thread in the wheel should unscrew fairly easily if you can get some anti-clockwise twist onto them. They should unscrew just like undoing the original bolt once it was loose.

I am running all standard wheel bolts on my C5 X7 after a similar scare was reported on AF a few years ago. When I changed the security bolts out they were all showing signs of distress of the keyways, some quite severe.

Cheers, Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken W View Post
    The remaining thread in the wheel should unscrew fairly easily if you can get some anti-clockwise twist onto them. They should unscrew just like undoing the original bolt once it was loose.

Cheers, Ken
    But there enlies the problem.
    theyve been done up with a rattle gun and wont come loose.

1000+ Posts

I remember telling the salesman on at least 3 occasions that I wouldn't take delivery of a car until they were gone. Each time the puzzled look and "why?". "Ask your service manager" was sufficient.
    jaahn, Kenfuego and UFO like this.

Fellow Frogger

The bolts should actually be tightened with a torque wrench. The factory typically specify 90 or sometimes 100 N.m depending on the model. I'd think about carrying a better lever than the factory item, The XM has one that folds out to give extra leverage, but most others just have an inadequate short lever. Buy an inexpensive telescopic lever or carry a length of pipe to slip over the factory lever.

Theyve been tightened with a rattle gun.
    I didnt use the factory lever to try and remove them, i used a proper wheel brace and also a breaker bar.
    Even the rattle gun wouldnt budge them.
    Now the "key" is broken and of no use.

Fellow Frogger

You will probably have to drill them out.

Looking at what is fitted to a 508, those security bolts (will be replaced) are different to what was fitted to the earlier Citroen C-series models. The middle of the bolt on the 508 would leave you no option but to drill if it snapped off as it is the insert that contains the 4 depressions around the periphery to accept the key socket. The early C5 etc. has a different design with the 4 depressions to accept the key as part of the bolt head and a raised section in the middle that would easily snap off. Here are pictures of the earlier type:
    C3_Security1.JPGC3_Security2.JPG

For the wheels that still have the part with 4 depressions, try lining up your damaged socket, tapping it into place and then using an impact driver like this for $40 at Bunnings:
    https://www.bunnings.com.au/trojan-i...r-set_p6060262
    If you can borrow a battery rattle gun, the trick is to push in hard and start slowly instead of using maximum reverse power.
    Kenfuego likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Mine were like the top picture above. Had taken advice to replace them, ordered some, and had some new tires fitted before they arrived.
    Bad idea. Some idiot overtightened them leaving two of them stuck.
    Despite my desperate and varied investigations, the only options are drilling and or using a Dremel. I did a combination of the two. Wasn't as difficult I thought as the bolts weren't made of as hard metal as I anticipated.
    In the UK some businesses use a jig the drill them out very cheaply and quickly, Sally the service isn't available here!

Sent from my Nokia 7 plus using Tapatalk
    06 Citroen C5 Estate 2.2 Hdi Auto
    95 Peugeot 306 S16
    95 Silver Xantia VSX - now deceased

Thread Information