What are the extra costs of buying an old Citroen for a short Swiss holiday? Anyone
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By badabec
  • 1 Post By Erikbm

Thread: What are the extra costs of buying an old Citroen for a short Swiss holiday? Anyone

Fellow Frogger!

Default What are the extra costs of buying an old Citroen for a short Swiss holiday? Anyone

I am visiting my daughter in Switzerland for a month. I am just idly wondering if it is feasible to buy an old frog car here and use it for a few weeks in her name before selling back to a wrecker and flying home.

It looks like I can get a reasonable diesel Citroen Berlingo or a Renault Espace of Laguna or a Pug 406 or a Citroen C5 for under 1000 CHF (Swiss francs).

I have no idea o the registration and insurance and inspection costs though. It looks like they are all sold without plates. My daughter could legally own one here as she has a husband who is a Swiss citizen. They don't want to own a car long term, but could host one for a month while we toured around in it.

Advertisement

Anyone know of the extra costs and hassles? Renting one for a week will cost 600 CHF.

Regards, Erik

Hello Erik

Seems like a good idea in theory, but does not make sense on a couple of levels. You keep saying "here" (meaning The Gong) when I think you mean "there" (ie Switzerland).

Secondly, everything is out of control price-wise in Switzerland. Why are you restricting yourself to comparing to hiring in Switzerland? The whole country is a day drip from anywhere. You could easily hire one over the border in Germany or France for heaps cheaper.

Have you considered those "driveaway" holiday car rentals ? Normally valid for over 21 days, you can arrange pickup in foreign (ie outside France) locations, for a fee.

To register a vehicle, you will certainly need both a local address, and insurance. The simplest of searches returns :
    Car registration - Hello Switzerland
    https://www.ch.ch/en/registering-vehicle/
    https://www.ch.ch/en/cars-and-other-vehicles/

And of course, don't forget your motorway sticker, no matter where the car is from.

Hello, hire a car.
    If your bought car goes tits up what will you do? Do you speak French, German, Italian or Romansh? If hired, phone the English speaking help desk and they will sort it out.
    Hire cars can also go where no other car can go!

If you fly to Geneva, one side is Swiss, the other side French.
    https://www.rentalcars.com/en/guides...e-switzerland/
    At the bottom of the page you can compare quotes. To hire a family saloon for the whole of February, Swiss price about AUD3000, French price AUD2000
    Don't forget to tell them you are driving in Switzerland, you will need a vignette.

Buy a Camping Card, gives 3rd party insurance and discounts at tourist destinations

Don't forget your fondue fork

Quote Originally Posted by badabec View Post

Don't forget to tell them you are driving in Switzerland, you will need a vignette.
    Only if you use the motorway. I drove from Liechtenstein to Geneva without one, as I did not use the motorway.

Hello, from the UK RAC. I have no idea what a semi motorway is

To use Swiss national roads (motorways and semi motorways), motor vehicles and trailers up to a total weight of 3.5 tonnes must carry a sticker.
    The sticker is valid for 14 months (from 1st December to 31st January) and costs 38.50 EUR (2017); it can be bought in Switzerland from customs offices, petrol stations, regional road authorities, TCS offices, from some foreign motoring clubs abroad and from the Swiss National Tourist Office.
    The driver who enters a motorway or semi motorway without the sticker will be fined 200 CHF and in addition will be required to pay 38.50 EUR for the sticker.
    Trading Estate likes this.

Sixt do good deals too, the price drops massively the longer you rent for, I got a Pug in Spain for a month for around 600Ä several years ago. Buying a car would be clazy and a massive PITA...

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks for the thoughts. We actually DO speak a mixture of those languages and the plan was to dump the car if it didn't work out - not everyones' idea of a great vacation I know, but I am a pretty good mechanic and would choose a car carefully.

I really wanted to know what the procedure for registering a 2nd hand old car in Switzerland was, so that I could decided for myself whether it was possible or not.

Thanks Dijon16 for your links. They are what I was looking for. It would have been helpful to know what the various costs are though. I will have to do a little more sorting through the forms.

It may not be sensible, but thinking about it fills in the time between excursions...

Cheers, Erik
    jaahn likes this.

Not Switzerland, but we were in Finland for 2.5 months last June/July. I bought 19 year old Corolla with 250,000 km on the clock. In Finland cars over 5 years old are subject to annual machinery inspection which is fairly tough, so finding a decent old car is not that hard. I just made sure it had a recent machinery, current timing belt and otherwise a sound car. Did some 3500 km, and no problems with the car whatsoever. It proved to have sufficient grunt for over taking on country roads and the 120 kmh motorway speed limits. I registered the car in my uncles name (we stayed with him other than the travel), had to pay taxes as they call them (registration) & Insurance. In Finland you can easily register and insure a car for part year. I did consider keeping the car for next time around, but wasn't sure if we are going next year so my uncle sold it after we left, as it was registered in his name, made the selling easy for him and I did not have to bother with the selling it. As the car had current machinery/ was a Toyota/ had winter/summer tyres/timing belt current and no rust it was easy to sell. I did consider Froggie cars, but reliability and resale desirability of a Toyota won out.

Car rental in Finland is exorbitantly expensive, so I saved a fortune.
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

Thread Information