Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By Budge
  • 1 Post By badabec
  • 1 Post By David S
  • 1 Post By Don B. Cilly

Thread: Ds colour help

Default Ds colour help

hi
    can anyone please advise me of the colour code for the brow that is used on some of the DS parts. i think my car is a transition model i have been told.

Advertisement

any help will be appreciated so that i can get the colour mixed.

thanks.

Fellow Frogger

Nalin, just not Mission Brown and not glossy! I don't think there is a colour number, but someone else may know better. There was a place out in western Sydney that had a formula for it and would put it in a spray can, but I can't locate the details. Anyway, the brown parts, like those on the CX, appear to have been dipped in a bath leaving a mostly streaky satin brown. You can replicate dipping by passing the piece through a layer of paint on top of water in a bucket. Perhaps find a sample bracket in the original paint and find a very similar paint and get a flatting agent added in. Depends how far you want to go to match the original, but gloss Mission Brown looks wrong and you'd be better to go satin black instead.

there is a code number believe it or not, I posted it on my resto thread somewhere or somewhere? I discovered it whilst discovering things. Oh ok I'll go have a trawl. You can get cans of brown in a satin that are pretty darn close though. I had some brown made up and used some cans later for a few bits and to be honest the difference was marginal.

P12 resto-

Join DateNov 2010LocationIci.Posts2,356

its brun AC727! that brown everyone wonders about....

for the sake of waffling on I've noticed some cars had brown air intake scoops behind the bumper and some black.
    Ditto for the plates behind he lower valance where bumper attachs. Who knows why and who cares?
    Last edited by forumnoreason; 18th December 2018 at 11:16 PM.

Hello, first time around I powder coated the brown parts in RAL 8017 (chocolate brown).
    On the Safari I couldn't be bothered and used black.
    As forumnoreason says, who knows why and who cares?

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by badabec View Post
    Hello, first time around I powder coated the brown parts in RAL 8017 (chocolate brown).
    On the Safari I couldn't be bothered and used black.
    As forumnoreason says, who knows why and who cares?
    Frankly I'm appalled at your cavalier attitude to all things DS - and so close to Christmas too....I wouldn't be surprised if you were the kind of people who painted your light buckets gris rose.
    GreenBlood, forumnoreason and mnm like this.
    1968 DS21bvh Pallas in Gris Palladium

Restoration blog: https://ds-restoration.blogspot.co.uk

Icon11

Quote Originally Posted by Budge View Post
    Frankly I'm appalled at your cavalier attitude to all things DS - and so close to Christmas too....I wouldn't be surprised if you were the kind of people who painted your light buckets gris rose.
    . . . cruel!!

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Dťesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Dťesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Dťesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Harrison will be chuffed the details for the paint are on Yves Nuancierds site, where he reckons le la pastilles for dem light buckets, wait for it,

5.6 les blocs de phares (modŤles 68-75)

68-75: Gris Rosť AC 136

felice navidad old chap!

Ford Dove Grey actually, Sacre-bleeding-bleu
    citroenut likes this.

Fellow Frogger

Indeed, they should give back their badges that proudly announced 'Restorer' and cancel the subs to Trainspotter Monthly.
    citroenut likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by forumnoreason View Post
    there is a code number believe it or not, I posted it on my resto thread somewhere or somewhere? I discovered it whilst discovering things. Oh ok I'll go have a trawl. You can get cans of brown in a satin that are pretty darn close though. I had some brown made up and used some cans later for a few bits and to be honest the difference was marginal.

P12 resto-

Join DateNov 2010LocationIci.Posts2,356

its brun AC727! that brown everyone wonders about....

for the sake of waffling on I've noticed some cars had brown air intake scoops behind the bumper and some black.
    Ditto for the plates behind he lower valance where bumper attachs. Who knows why and who cares?
    thanks for this appreciate the help will try to get this matched.

mnm

Forgive the piggy back but do we know the colour code for the slopey dash cars? The off white wrinkle finish.

Matthew

tats AC somting as worl to be shure.

Just for fun... I'll translate a post by Maurizio Marini, of the Italian CitroŽn Historical Documentation Center:
    January 22nd, 2018.

--------------------------------------

Years ago, I asked a high-ranking CitroŽn man from Paris about the change of paint from black to brown of certain details.
    The answer was illuminating: "because we had so much unused paint left in the tanks at the end of the cycle, that we used to throw away.

There was the idea of ​​mixing it all together for painting of non-evident secondary details, such as spray guards or certain mechanical pieces that had to be protected anyway. The paint resulting from the mixture was brown, more or less different from day to day, but they were mechanical details of little importance. "

I will see him in the next few days in Paris and I will show him these pages (he speaks Italian perfectly). I'd like to see his face when he knows we are looking for that exact shade of brown...

PS: for the green, c'est la meme chose, it is industrial paint and AC502 is only a reference color, the green changed according to availability, dilution and supply: if you take two hydraulic parts of the same car, the green will hardly be the same.
    Last edited by Don B. Cilly; 20th December 2018 at 05:08 AM.
    forumnoreason likes this.

Very good, don't shoot this messenger though who believes everything read on the internet. Bring it up with Yves on Nuancierds site.

He reckons-

Les ferrures de pare-chocs (et de nombreux acastillages de capot moteur) passent du noir au marron au millťsime 73.
    Pour reproduire ce marron (sans doute le "brun ch‚ssis", AC 727), une possibilitť proche est le RAL 8016; "Brun Chataigne" de la marque Altona ou de la marque Julien.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by mnm View Post
    Forgive the piggy back but do we know the colour code for the slopey dash cars? The off white wrinkle finish.
    Matthew
    I think I am on safe ground here in saying that the colour is 'Gris Rose' (aka 'AC 136'). The problem you will have is finding wrinkle paint in that colour.... I've seen some fairly good wrinkle powder coating that is a good colour match - but the wrinkles are wrong. They look like circles joined together in a sort of web.

VHT do a wrinkle paint in a can that is an exact match for the pattern - but not the colour! Do you think it would be possible to talk them into making a small batch for the classic car market? maybe just to dip their toe in the water? I'm sure lots of Ds owners would beat a path to their door if they did and they'd have no trouble getting rid of the stuff.
    1968 DS21bvh Pallas in Gris Palladium

Restoration blog: https://ds-restoration.blogspot.co.uk

you'd think a paint shop would have a clue or recipe for wrinkle, after all its the ingredients which make it happen in a reaction of some sort, like heaps of thinners pushing it dry out too quick or something?

google person suggestion, since I believe EVRYTHING I read:

To get a wrinkle finish, you can spray a base coat of lacquer paint with an over coat of enamel (it think that is the order but it may be the other way around). The solvent in the enamel causes the lacquer to dissolve, as the enamel tries to dry, the surface tension pull stretches, but the underlying layer is liquid and allows it to bunch, or wrinkle. This is the same method that was used on Atwater Kent Radio Equipment in the 20s. For those who play with this old equipment, you'll notice the valleys in the paint are darker while the surface paint is brown or gold, this is due to the black lacquer underneath.

usually in tertiary environments it is essential source material is attributed and credited, so for something or other:

https://www.finishing.com/04/09.shtml

In the old days wrinkle finishes were made from Tung Oil and a specific blend of metal based driers containing cobalt, manganese and zinc. This is still the best way to get this finish. If you can't get the exact color you want from your supplier you should buy the paint and take it to a industrial paint supplier. The paint could be tinted to most any color using enamel grade tint paste. To get other wrinkle finishes is a hit and miss operation usually based on the luck of getting just the right film thickness and drying conditions to cause the surface to dry at a different rate than the center of the film. One could contact a chemical company and ask for a sample of a tung oil alkyd. Thin that material with mineral spirits and have it tinted to the required color. Wrinkle away fans...
    Steve Nisewander
    Eugene, Oregon
    Last edited by forumnoreason; 20th December 2018 at 11:29 AM.

mnm

I think I am on safe ground here in saying that the colour is 'Gris Rose' (aka 'AC 136'). The problem you will have is finding wrinkle paint in that colour.... I've seen some fairly good wrinkle powder coating that is a good colour match - but the wrinkles are wrong. They look like circles joined together in a sort of web.

VHT do a wrinkle paint in a can that is an exact match for the pattern - but not the colour! Do you think it would be possible to talk them into making a small batch for the classic car market? maybe just to dip their toe in the water? I'm sure lots of Ds owners would beat a path to their door if they did and they'd have no trouble getting rid of the stuff.
    I thought it might be...thanks. Iíve seen a post where the guy sprayed it in VHT light grey then did a top coat in the gris rose... I guess if the top coat is light enough you woukdnít lose too much detail in the wrinkle finish underneath.

Matthew

Thread Information