• Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By seasink
  • 1 Post By UFO
  • 1 Post By Dijon16

Thread: C5 X7 quesions - fuel flap, key fob

Default C5 X7 quesions - fuel flap, key fob

Hello all,

I've owned a few French cars, a couple of Citroens, nothing for a while (the last was a 2006 C2 VTR about 8 yrs ago) and visit this site regularly.

Reading about French cars here and the C5 X7 in particular has rubbed off it seems! I've just bought a MY11 C5 Comfort 2.0. I am amazed at how comfortable and refined this car is. it seems to have been put together well too, good fit and finish. Mine has done 167,000km and like old German cars the wear on it looks like a car that has done barely 100,000km. This is not a loved example either -- not absused as far as I can see but certainly not cossetted. This is my first hydropneumatic-suspension Citroen, and I am fascinated by the whole concept and glad I finally own an example with it.

I have a couple of questions that Google didn't seem to be able to answer -- has anyone found that the fuel flap will not latch and is there a simple solution? I got it to latch as I picked up the car but when I went to refuel I couldn't get it to do so. The latch mechanism appears to be hidden, I can't see the mechanism for it.

Advertisement

Second thing, the key remote locking buttons are very worn and look like they are not far off coming off altogether. Has anyone had success buying a cheap Chinese knock-off and fitting just the rubber buttons section to a factory key? Or is there any other solution (aside from a presumably expensive new key?)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/help!
    PS I tried to correct the typo in the thread subject line but you can't edit it, it seems... apologies.
    Last edited by Sans_sagesse; 18th December 2018 at 09:46 AM.

1000+ Posts

The smoothest ride on the road.

There isn't a catch on the flap. The button inside is part of the Eolys catalyst system. The flap is sprung at the hinge to keep it shut. The fuel cap locks.

The remote rubber cases wear until there is a hole or two in them. There are usually other keys in your pocket. You can buy new cases on line. The important part is that the chip inside works the immobiliser. There are several threads on AF on replacing the case.
    Sans_sagesse likes this.

UFO

As Seasink said, the fuel flap does not lock - but the fuel cap does. Our C4 is the same.

I have in the past bought cheap Chinese empty cases with key blank. I bought two a few years ago. I phoned Greg Bunting about getting a key cut and he sai "just knock the roll pin out of the key blank with a fine punch and do the same with your current key. Then reattach the cut key to the new empty case and push in the roll pin. Then swap the internals over between the cases". Did that and job done.

You see the blank attaches to the spring loaded swivel on the case. Pop the key open and hold it about 45 degrees before it clicks to straight and you will see the pin.

As you are swapping the electronic internals of the key fob there is no car reprogramming required.

Welcome to the C5 ride.
    Sans_sagesse likes this.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    As Seasink said, the fuel flap does not lock - but the fuel cap does. Our C4 is the same.
    Perhaps I didn't explain it very well -- the flap is reluctant to sit flush with the rear quarter panel. When you push it in, it springs out to the ajar position again. I had another go this afternoon and after a few attempts of pushing it in against the spring loading it finally sat flush. I tried looking in the hinge area for an obvious problem with the mechanism but will need to get back in there another time with a torch to see what's going on.

Good tip re: the key fob -- I think you can (carefully) pick out the chevrons on the back of the original key and glue them in the replacement too maybe?

Thanks for the replies -- and thanks for the welcome!

Hello and welcome, ye of no wisdom. We are in a similar position, got the same car for the same reasons, and discovered the same things about it.

Fuel flap is easy, I had exactly the same issue. I bet that you are pushing it closed gently and it does not latch. You know what to do? Whack it! That's right, hit it with the side of your fist - then it stays closed.

I got 2 keys - one very worn, the other never used. I too ordered one online, then another. This is what I just wrote in another thread :

There's 2 different key fobs. I got an el cheapo one from fleabay for my 3-button C5 X7. It had different mounting lugs for the PCB and different key swivel mechanism.

So, I got another cheapy, and that was the same ie incompatible. In the end I butchered it and my existing one. All the ones online, and there's thousands, that show the internals, are the wrong type. Even the dealers, and I tried, do not stock the type I have.

And don't trust Mr Minit, who wanted to cut a new key for $90 even though I showed them that the fob would not house my PCB.

So my advice is to open the current one, see which side the battery mounts, because the case halves are different from old type to new, and see EXACTLY where the 2 PCB mounting lugs are, and compare those to the details shown in the ones online.
    Sans_sagesse likes this.

I bought some replacement fobs off ebay, new batteries and a pin punch set. Still waiting to get around to fitting them and putting up with the decaying button covers on the originals in the meantime. Forewarned is forearmed.

Cheers, Ken

Thread Information